“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

This video has just 2 interpretation:
    1) the guy making it should do something else than explaining things he don't understand.
    2) the guy is dishonest and his only goal is clickbaiting.

2. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

AHAHAH, that was funny. It's kind of an eye opening thing to be honest. People go on youtube and watch onboards (I am very guilty of this) and think what they watched is the limit of the car. Then you come across someone doing this and the theories fade a little bit. Still, Rfactor 2 should feel more on the edge and it would be almost there. Don't forget that probably tyre degradation is not just as bad as real life, if it was aliens wouldn't be winning many races, as that driving style is for holapping more than anything, I am sure.

3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I don't know, I just remembered that he used to go on and on about a yaw bug and to be honest I actually thought the same, until I learned about things like camera yaw and stuff, and head movements. That for me goes a long way to ruin my immersion and I turn that off.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wish more of such Chad style driving would be displayed as it is as you say - more eye opening as it is much clearer to see, easier to observe characteristics of the limits.

One guy I know has personal Lamborghini SuperTrofeo onboard. He showed that onboard to me in his own computer. It was nothing like I have seen anywhere before, it looked like something more I'd expect from 70s racecar. Turns out the car was on worn hard compound tires, so it was more slidey, also peak of performance was not there anymore. I wish I could watch it again to observe how sharp and precise he had to be, but I remember that there were many bold slides catching and was very impressive to watch.

I said I wish all modern racing would happen on worn hard compound tires then :D

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

looking at this video I can see that car is allowed quite good rotation (NOT sliding) for given input. i would IRL for similar input car will understeer or oversteer a touch earlier.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  6. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I think so too. For me the problem is mostly the tires, although it is not totally broken physics, it allows people with great skill to make some aggressive hotlaps and racing wich would probably be detterred of doing so, because even if possible, it would be more unpredictable to control the car.

Slip_Angel likes this.
  7. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

i honestly think if they narrow operating window of some tire parameters we have much better sim.
    in fact even if they achieve to fix some of the issues via artificial method i don't mind.
    As long as end result it realistic is all i care for.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, while it does make for a fun experience, I also quite like to the way cars are needed to be driven precisely, trying to find as much grip as possible without too much sliding. After all I really like rally too, but then there is the passion for tarmac driving. There is place for them all

I am with you. We've seen Marcel mentioning a new model of sorts. Hoping that is what's coming. If anything, just make oversdriven tyres worn out faster and competition will be balanced.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    mantasisg and Slip_Angel like this.
  9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

The good thing, is that I instinctly don't let myself go over the limit if I am really seriously playing and when the cars starts doing some forgiving stuff, I tend to correct it as if it would crash... For that kind of driving, for me Rfactor 2 is unbeaten right now. When they make it more unforviging in some instances, Rfactor2 will feel almost flawless for me and I will feel even more lucky such a great simulation already exists and I already do.

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

even in PRO rally driving they are sliding not too much, just enough to create rotation and regain forward momentum quickly.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

That's quite a good idea, to start small, as I am really curious if I could come up with something somewhat driveable in the end, and learn about the scope of simulation of rfactor 2 and also what goes behind to make it happen structurally.

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah, especially these more modern rally cars. On loose surfaces some more sliding will always bring benefit, but they keeps on getting away with less sliding. Rally on tarmac is different, apart hairpins and powersliding on slow turn exits or on damp surfaces, they sticks a lot to the tarmac, I remember everyone used to be very surprised by how relatively high the grip was in RBR on french stages. Which was in 2003 ?

Slip_Angel and Nieubermesch like this.
  13. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Couple of things we could tweak in meantime until some physics improvement arrives (if they arrive)

This is my opinion to make car feel more realistic and setup more realistically.

1.Turn down the steering wheel range in chassis setup.
    It is generally at 540 for GT (idk all the GT cars but it is probably same) so turn it down 1 click.
    This will mean car will turn more for less steering input which allows us to use excessive steering exploit but atleast it doesn't look bad to eyes this way.

2.Use green surface and static road.

Initially i thought by using saturated track( maximum grip) would make car twitchy/ edgy over the limit but i don't think it works like this here.
    If anything saturated or high grip track surface actually makes exploit setup better.
    So by choosing green surface you take away some grip from tires which forces you to use aero devices properly and setup camber in SLIGHTLY realistic ways, basically makes whole setup approach a TOUCH realistic.( still not accurate though)
    And static conditions because you don't want grip to improve, this will force you to drive carefully in longer sessions.

It is extremely disappointing that we have to resort to such tricks to make a simulator realistic.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  14. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

'aliens' will be quick with anything you give them.

it quite surprised me (actually it didn't) that nobody commented about the fastest hotlap of the few qualifier. Very smooth driving being used and no drifty mc driftface to turn the hairpins. Even though the Fe car is known for that being quick. This shows how wrong the testing is in the video this thread is about.

15. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Fe car? Sorry, not sure what you are referring to.

16. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

While i agree on driving part but was his setup realistic too ?
    I somehow doubt it.

17. strannikxxxxx

strannikxxxxx Registered

18. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I am also testing right now if tyre wear can have any impact on grip and tyre temperature during slides.

Not feeling much of anyting, but if people like to do longer races, I think tyre wear should be above normal and maybe that will detract them from pushing the tyres too much as they will decay a lot faster.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

If it is from the FE competition that hit the news last week, I think they run on fixed setups.

Slip_Angel and Nieubermesch like this.
  20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh, ok, thanks.