Discussing the competition system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jan 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Haven't found any threads for this, so thought I'd start one. I've really enjoyed the races I've done, besides one where someone intentionally wrecked me and several others. Hopefull safety rating will solve this problem. It feels like my dream of IRacing style multiplayer with rf2 handling, might just become a reality one day. That said I think there's still a long way to go with the current implementation.
    Some thoughts/ suggestions
    • Not a fan of the idea of one rating encompassing safety and performance. If this gets popular with multiple splits, there needs to a performance only metric to make sure similar speed people are in the same split. Also just for my own knowledge of how I'm doing performance -wise, I'd prefer to use a performance only number. The IRacing way of doing multiplayer has stood the test of time, no shame in copying them. If it aint broke, why fix it?
    • Please attach quali to the session, some races have been really chaotic with slow guys in the front causing carnage
    • Can we get results / ratings on a web portal? At the moment it's hidden away in some hard to find corner of the ui
    • Not a competition specific complaint, but S397 please, please please fix the mouse disappearing bug in the ui in VR, besides navigation becoming an absolute clickfest nightmare, it's really stressful when the race is about to start and the bloody drive button is not responding to your click! I have to be honest, it boggles my brain that after 4 years in devlopment, this glaringly obvious, experience destroying bug got through beta testing! :confused:
    Overall I'm really excited by the prospect of this getting big, as for me rf2 is still the king when it comes to sheer driving realism and enjoyment. Any other thoughts/ suggestions?

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

iRacing system just doesn't work well, people either drive "ultra correctly" to make for license and doesn't race properly, or they go ultra aggressive and I'd say even mean for rating, which is not proper racing either. Ability to race cleanly should be part of success and rating. In iR license is grinding, gentleman racing is not much of a thing.

3. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

The problem with the disappearance of the mouse sign comes from the "SteamVR" window behind the windowed mirror image.
    Moving the "SteamVR" window is enough to solve the problem.

4. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Oh wow, delighted to discover this. Thanks!

mixer61 likes this.
  5. Comante

Comante Registered

I think it's a bit soon to express judgements both in positive or negative about this system. We don't know how it work, we had not much time to see it working. I don't think the people involved in this have not investigated other systems (they claimed to have done their homework explicitly). I've done just 3 or 4 races in this system, and just the first track I had the chance to partecipate in a qualification session, but despite this, I always found myself "in my place" I concluded all the races ahead of my starting position mainly because on average there are 6 DNF over 18 partecipants. The last race the system decided that I was eligible for the 3rd place in grid.. and I concluded the race in the same position, so, somehow the comp system made the right call at least in my case.
    I'm sure that we will see improvement in both the UI and Comp System quite rapidly, I will take some month to form an opinion, but at the present moment, I'm pretty pleased of what I've seen : clean racing , variable weather (we really need a weather forecast because discovering that is raining at race start after a sunny weekend, is a bit too late to do something except change tyres).
    Beside this, can't wait to see the next round of competitions and the results from this experimental ones.

6. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Any idea how it's deciding who goes in front if nobody did the quali session? I assumed it was random, or maybe whoever joined the server in order.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

No, it's not random, or at least non completely, I've seen the Server deciding the grid formation on the fly after warmup.
    I think it's the safety/rating system that has a weight in this decision making.
    When you subscribe to a race, the server must decide in which room each driver belong, I think this decision is made ranging the ratings so to have rooms with fast drivers, average drivere and some slow drivers, but within a rating range.

Rapala likes this.
  8. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

The one and only thing I hope will be put in place is to have the choice to make our statistics public or not. Every game I know of with public statistics has caused a disastrous attitude from its community, even in iRacing, where even though the players are supposedly not random quidams, we see shameful behavior.

If a driver wants his stats to be seen by everyone or just by some, that's up to him, but if you don't want to, you should have a choice.

I have too often seen players judge others and act differently based on their "stats", World of Tanks is a blatant example of this because there was no real matchmaking but even in iRacing it is not uncommon to see some not respecting a fast driver but having a "lower" iRating and behaving abnormally with him.

When you play only for your stats, you don't play anymore in the end.

I suspect that not everyone will share this opinion, hence the notion of having a choice!

9. Comante

Comante Registered

I guess that unless this rating is blatantly exposed near the name into the server (that this has no purpose) the only way to know would be to go in the website and search for a specific driver and investigate his data. Maybe there will be people that will do it, but I think that people in the same timezone with similar schedule will meet more often and in the end they will know what to expect from others in race.
    But I agree with you: better that each one decide what to do with his sensible data.