Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. rd.king

rd.king Registered

Updated my sig.
    The shaking I'm referring to is most noticeable when I'm still in the pits.
    I don't feel it's a graphics hardware issue.
    It's like an exaggerated engine vibration.
    Only happens on targa and IOM.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I get the same.

3. svictor

svictor Registered

Correct, it is the same game engine limit as seen in AC. Also mentioned in this post.

The further that car is away from the center coordinates of map, the higher the graphic shaking will be.

At Isle of Man, this shaking effect is almost unnoticeable at Mountain Box area since the road section is very close to map center, but on other part of the map it shakes more intensely, especially near the pit area. Unfortunately there is no solution atm.

At Targa, most of the roads are far away from center:
    targa1.jpg

(it is interesting that the AC patch which partially reduced this shaking effect was achieved with shader codes.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Bostrom, atomed, makan and 4 others like this.
  4. isamu

isamu Registered

Not to take this further off topic, but can I ask how well that mod to reduce shaking in AC works? Does it actually fully eliminate the shaking no matter where you are on the track?

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IIRIC in AC it was related to physics working on 32 bits ? Anyway, I can not tell if this shaking is not only graphical when stationary (and just at start ?), as cars seems to handle pretty well and normal. While in AC with one of my "sharper" kind of handling physics tweaks, the limitations of physics precission can be felt even in track like Nordschleife, which means that track already pushes AC to the limits. This Targa mod in rF2 drives very nicely.

6. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

7. svictor

svictor Registered

365960_20210112224404_1.jpg

Version 0.31 is here, with Realroad, Rubber and Wet!

Special thanks to original author Sergio Loro for permission to update the track and share at workshop.

Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2359535813

Changelog:

v0.31 (2021-01-13)
    - Realroad now enabled with wet support. No changes to base grip level (green road is the same as before).
    Note: First time loading is also significantly longer due to Realroad preparation, and none default "time scale" setting may also cause performance issue.
    - Re-split and merged over 2000 gmt files for real road, added and reworked many materials.
    - Moved all pit spots to the real pitlane, it's now possible to serve penalty without completing a full lap.
    Note: If starting from garage (any none Race session), entering pit would cancel current timing. Race session is unaffected.
    - Cleaned up most of 3d grass on bigger walls.
    - Added hay bales for rally stages.
    - Fixed various terrain holes and LOD values.
    - Cut detection is less strict now for full length track.
    v0.30 (2021-01-08)
    - Fixed one missing texture.
    - Added new rally stage sign boards (start & finish).
    - Moved a camera man away from middle of road.

v0.29 (2020-12-30)
    - Added PIT exit sign board. (If playing rally stage, please wait until this "PIT CLOSED" sign board disappear, then click RACE/DRIVE button to exit garage, otherwise may get penalty for exit pit under red light.)
    - Added hundred of night lights and illumination.
    - Adjusted start timing position for rally stages, in order to fix rare wrong timing issue.
    - Fixed AI that taking wrong route at Rally Stage 4.
    - Added hundreds of bump map textures to road materials.
    - Up-scaled many textures to higher resolution, various color tweaking to improve overall view.
    - Corrected most of floating & popping objects (LOD) for cockpit view at forward direction.
    - Fixed ClipPlanes values.
    - Fixed visibility issue of some objects.
    - Adjusted VisGroups for many objects.

v0.28 (2020-12-18)
    - New 4 rally stages, all pits&garages&grids are set at same location. (Do not click RACE button until the start of session timer begins to countdown, otherwise will receive penalty. AI currently does not work at Stage 4, other Stages are ok.)
    - New 3D grass, enabled by setting "Circuit Detail" to FULL (lower "Circuit Detail" to disable).
    - New set of Loading Screens & Icons (thanks to the track map created by John Bradley).
    - Added some ambient sounds.
    - Adjusted terrain feedback for grass and gravel.
    - Reduced cut detection.
    - Fixed horizon & various objects LOD issue.
    - Fixed some road texture UV map.
    - Fixed various objects.
    - Removed pitlane speed limit.
    - Original GPL & RF2 Credits readme.txt are now packaged inside Targa_Florio.mas

v0.27 (2020-12-15)
    - Main 72km road surface was re-constructed with 8 square subdivision across 6-7 meter wide surface. The new surface also includes around 2% crossfall and some random height variation (about 1cm).
    (Real road is still disabled, due to several minutes long loading time and unstable performance.)
    - Re-adjusted Terrain feedback (TDF) values for the new surface, most of RoadBumpLen values are reduced accordingly.
    - Renamed track name to "Targa Florio 1967" on track list, added track icon for old UI.

v0.26 (2020-11-24)
    - Fixed folder/mas structure, default weather is now working.
    - Added new Haze values to GDB file.
    - Road sign & stone are a little heavier now.

v0.25 (2020-09-16)
    - Fixed a floating tree (trees589.gmt).
    - Fixed clipping signs (scilla1,scitopl,scitopr,calta7,calta1,scilla02,scitopl01,scitopr01,rosi). Most of the clipping is caused by incorrect mesh normal (recalculated with 3dsimed or other 3d software for fixing). Commented out duplicated gmt entries in SCN.
    - Erased many duplicated materials (suffix name _MU,_CR).
    - Changed most of "Alpha Blending Transparency" material to "Alpha Chroma".
    - Reverted road grip value back to original.
    - All trackside crowds and vehicles are now visible in all sessions (as also in GPL).
    - Reduced base haze value for cloudy and storm.
    - Fixed pitlane sector timing objects position (Previously was placed outside real pitlane area). Garage area was and still is the only working pitlane area.

v0.24 (2020-09-13)
    - Fixed moveable objects that couldn't receive lights due to incorrect pivot points (thanks to senormen's solution!)
    - Adjusted one of grass diffuse texture (_GRASS_ADD.DDS) for better color/brightness transition.
    - Each MAS file now includes _batching.scn file with correct tag for easy batching process.

v0.23 (2020-09-11)
    - fixed objects that flickering during night.
    - restored and excluded some bump textures from batching progress.

v0.21 (2020-09-11)
    - Updated old GDB entries with new values, new geographical position. Loose objects are lighter (to avoid one KO). Old obsolete values are removed/commented out.
    - Updated TDF, reduced main road grip by 1%, increased grass grip (help cars recovering).
    - Updated all textures, corrected brightness (based on DDS files from v0.1, in order to preserve original rich color), see screenshots.
    - Updated SCN files with new values, including reflectionmapper and IBL probe. Old obsolete values are removed/commented out.
    - Updated all Tree shaders to T1 no shadow, so they don't recieve shadows (to avoid bad looking shadow on X board tree model).
    - Updated new haze value to eliminate white horizon effect, make sure you select default weather, or remove old TARGA_FLORIOs.wet inside "UserData\player\Settings\Targa_Florio" folder.
    - Both GPL & RF2 readme.txt is packaged inside Targa_Florio_Regular_Grid.mas.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Wow, this just keeps gettin' mo' better!

svictor likes this.
  9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Many thanks for all the work especially this!

pascom and svictor like this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Amazing EFFORT!

pferreirag60 and svictor like this.
  11. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

So glad to see this in the workshop,hopefully more people will find this track and enjoy the sheer delight that it is to drive. Its the only tack that it is not only fun to try and get round as fast as possible,but also fun to jump in your favourite open top,cruise round and take in the view,and truly enjoy the experience of simply driving as most would IRL.

12. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Thanks for uploading it on Steam Workshop, now I am sure I wouldn't miss any release!

Just looking at the pics, looks like people cutouts need some love, I am looking for 60' themed ones in order to help (or try at least) but hard to find them...

svictor and buzz hornet like this.
  13. isamu

isamu Registered

Hi. Can someone explain what exactly is "Realroad"? Is that some exclusive feature to rFactor? What does it do that other sims don't?

14. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

From Wikipedia:

Real Road
    Real Road is one of the most prominent features of rFactor 2. Rubber is dynamically laid on the track surface in real time during a race session by the player and the AI. The rubber can carry over to the next sessions and this calls for the player to constantly having to adapt to the advancing track conditions during a race weekend which in a dry race weekend means more and more available grip throughout. The player can choose from various rubber presets to start with or just choose to start the weekend on a completely green track. Real Road can be accelerated, left at a normal rate, or be completely static. The feature also creates grip-affecting marbles outside of the normal racing line.

Real Road also works together with wet weather. When rain hits the track, the previously built-up rubber and marbles is washed away and the track will then need to be rubbered in again. The wet track surface dries dynamically similar to the aforementioned rubber build-up due to both cars on track as well as temperature, sun and wind. The Real Road system of rFactor 2 is unique because it is not scripted, but completely dynamic

Bostrom, VirusGR42, pkelly and 5 others like this.
  15. pferreirag60

pferreirag60 Registered

Hi, this is my main track, after i found it, since 0.13. Fantastic work you and your group have done with this amazing road course, I think i drive 2 hours a day, with any type of car, always amazed by the fun i take on your track. Only play in VR. At 8:30AM 5x speed with and some rain at the middle (1 hour practice with 17 cars) , sometimes you see a crazy ai, coming from the Hills, at speed to the track( some accident in another point of the track) i cannot stop enjoying myself, racing in this road course. After so many laps I know every inch, bump, turn, of this marvelous road course.

Corti, makan, maximus1971 and 2 others like this.
  16. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I have no knowledge of modding so I can only assume it would be pretty quick to do if you found it necessary :

All bush/grass should in my opinion be reduced by 33% (size).

On the one hand, the size would seem more logical to me, and in addition these textures would appear more detailed (would appear).

17. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for your feedback.

Grass size has already discussed in this post, along with some reasons why it was created this way. Also many photos from search shows that real life grass at targa florio is actually tall & big.

I must say again, this is a crazy big track, nothing for this track can be done in an easy or quick way.

This also applies to many other difficult and tough choices that I had made, which had gone through so many tests and trials and errors (had to throw away a failed grass test earlier that cost 20 plus hours of work), and came with solutions that was the most viable, in order to deliver all the new features (since v0.20) within a reasonable time, and have already spent hundred of hours into the track.

To make everything ideal and perfect, it would probably never be completed.

Nevertheless, I'll seek every possibility to improve track as long as I can (have to try to keep motivation).

For the next update, I have just finished optimizing 3d grass (reduced amount poly count by 30%).

Also since the current track surface is still not perfect for real road (there are lots of gaps), I've started testing and reconstructing the whole track surface from ground up. It's a really difficult thing, not sure if I can make it, but it is one of the most important thing that I feel worth trying.

pkelly, Xzanman, instinkt and 11 others like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've never written a critique about something I've never done and included the word. 'EASY' If the previous poster learns anything about modding, it's that almost nothing is EASY!

19. svictor

svictor Registered

365960_20210115150414_1.jpg
    New version 0.32 is here, with optimized 3d grass, also cleaned up AIW nodes, and loading screen now displays rally stage map correctly.

Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2359535813

Changelog:

v0.32 (2021-01-15)
    - Optimized 3d grass, removed 30% of mesh that is far away from main view, there should be very little visual difference.
    - Removed all unused AI waypoints from each rally stages. Car positions now correctly displayed on monitor map.
    Note: the straight line on new UI map is not a bug, AIW must be a closed circuit to have AI working correctly.

20. philrob

philrob Registered

Great update your continued work on this huge task is incredible. Most will have no understanding of the huge amount of time and talent required to continue, thank you.

pascom, Eric Rowland, pkelly and 5 others like this.