N00b questions & feedback

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by buttdyno, Jan 9, 2021.

1. buttdyno

buttdyno Registered

Hi - I have been in RF2 for a grand total of about an hour after picking it up in the Steam winter sale as well as the endurance packs. Previous sims for comparison - iRacing, ACC and DiRT.

The FFB took some tweaking in the SC2 software - it was super strange at first with some strange deadzone in the middle until I found the right calibration, but now that I've got it sorted, I see why people like it.

* I have disabled auto-shift - I think. The car still auto-shifts (was experimenting with the RSR at Sebring). Is this something I can't turn off on certain cars? Are there multiple settings?

* I turned off the HUD to experiment with an LMP car. There was some strange icon at the top of the screen with two red arrows. What does this mean?

* Driving the RSR I was expecting there to be no ABS, but I later saw that ABS was enabled somewhere in the settings. Is this something where the sim overrides the car's properties? Like can I drive an RSR in RF2 with ABS if the real car doesn't have it by using the assist?

My "I've played with this for an hour" first impressions / feedback:

* I was trying to figure out how to change the graphic quality settings. I went into a session but I couldn't tweak them (texture quality etc). Later I realized I had to be not-in-a-session in order to tweak the graphics settings. But the graphics widget is offered both in-session (to tweak some of the settings) and out-of-session (to tweak everything). This is confusing - some alternatives
    -show the current graphic detail settings but don't let people edit them (and explain why)
    -let people edit them but note that they don't take effect until the next session
    -mention that they aren't editable in-session.

* Making people own all the content for a series before they can enter is really painful. In iRacing I have the option of skipping weeks if I don't have / don't want a certain track, certain car, or whatever.

* I love the RF2 Sebring.

* The RSR sounds awesome.

* Modeling the Bosch rear view - maybe not the biggest priority in the world but really cool.

* The list view for picking tracks/cars should be the default, IMHO. It's so much more usable than the default picker.

Thank you!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Auto shifting has several settings, off, upshifts only, downshifts, all shifts. There is a F7 key on the top row that will toggle thru all of those options.(don't know which one,)
    All GT3 cars have ABS, but the RSR is a GTE so it should only have traction control. You can probably use the ABS driver help, another F9 key but that should invoke a weight penalty to your car.
    =>=> is a drive thru penalty. You probably got it by speeding in the pits. Do not disengage the pitlane speed limiter until after you have exited the pits.
    Another penalty is =>|=> that is a stop and go penalty. Stop in your pitbox, watch the timer to see how long the stop is.
    You would not believe that we actually had users complain about the RSR sounds.. Personally it is one of rF2's best sounding cars.
    Always run the Graphic config tool when you first load rF2, (do this at least once a day) rF2 resets your video card settings either randomly or after a long list of windows or rF2 possible updates.
    iRacing drivers usually have the most difficult time learning the rF2 control calibration. iR achieves full linear turning of the steering wheel by moving the slider fully to the side. rF2 achieves linearity when the slider is centered. (and it gets confusing, the old UI centered at 50%. the new UI centers at 100%)
    assign a command to cycle thru the various mfd options,(assign/Display/ Display Mode) that will show you if you have driver helps enabled, like the shifting or braking etc. Also it will show penalites that will match the arrows icon you noticed. You have 3 laps to enter pits and serve the penalty. It is a toggle switch so each press brings up another mfd.
    Make sure in the Display options the message center is enabled. (that is where messages about pitting, penalties etc will be shown, lower left of cockpit)

3. buttdyno

buttdyno Registered

But if it's off in the settings menu, it shouldn't be on anywhere else, right?

How can I tell whether it is on and whether I'm taking a penalty for using it (and if so how much)? The MFD?

Do the comp servers allow you to add ABS to cars that don't actually have it?

Thank you.

Oi

For me, what was happening was that it I could smoothly set the "turn right" calibration but the "turn left" calibration was going from 0% to 100% instantly. I don't remember how I fixed it though.

Thank you - will do!

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Don't know if this will make a difference, but I always move left first. I think what may have happened was you hit the max left button BEFORE moving your wheel. Always move the wheel to it's max travel and hold it against the stop. THEN press the max left or right buttons. Once those are done, return the wheel to center and press that key.
    To verify the auto-shift level, in the car press the F7 key and cycle thru all the options. Then stop at the off option. (you are making me reload rF2 repeatedly because I never exactly remember which key does what...lol)
    If you have programmed a button to cycle thru the display modes, one of those options will show all the help options. If they are greyed out then they are not active if they are yellow then they are active and you can choose the Fkeys to shut them down.
    as far as the comp servers, I have only joined one session so far so I can't say if any of the helps are allowed. The GTE series would be a good test as only fuel flow management and Traction Control should be available.