F1 1992 Tracks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I've been looking for such tracks the last week or two, and I'm afraid you have the best ones already added...

That Imola is pretty good (I replaced some of the advertisements). There's a decent Paul Ricard without realroad or animated corner workers, but looks very period (it's called GP88)

Magny Cours is good, but modern style infrastructure and the tarmac makes my wheel vibrate. There's a Silverstone around in old layout here in this thread:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9649-British-GP-WIP

...but it's nothing spectacular.

I can't blame any modder for not spending more of their valuable time on these complicated projects, but there seems to be a sad trend to cut off trackwork once it's "driveable...". It's a tad better for modern F1 tracks, maybe because more "illegal sources" are available and because also people seem more curious about those. Newbergring and Bahrain are two example of highest-polished conversions which rival ISI stuff, such things don't exist for 1991 era.

What would be needed for an awesome early 90's experience is a dedicated group of trackmakers to get togehter and work with ASR (who can supply the cars). I'd pay 30 bucks for that.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would like we stuck to ISI era for a start.

We have enough modern tracks for now.

Sick of another "new gen sim" 3 years in has the same old conversions :)

Do this list within 2 years Hi Res "Historical versions" I will pay good money for all.

GP 1966-1970

Kyalami
    Jarama
    Montjuic
    Monaco
    Spa
    Riems
    Le Mans Bugatti
    Rouen
    Charade
    Brands Hatch
    Silverstone
    Zandvoort
    Nurburgring
    Hockenheimring
    Österreichring
    Monza
    Mosport Park
    Mont-Tremblant
    Watkins Glen
    Hermanos Rodriguez

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never understood how anything illegal makes it better.

If there was no rips or average conversions you would see higher quality conversion worth paying money for.

That way we get better tracks, modder's paid and you pay for the privilege.

If we had 1,000+ drivers I would soften that stance but 200 tracks with 200 drivers online ............never understood it.

iRacing has 50,000 and not even 100 circuits.

Choice and what cost, diluted rooms.

If we had live racers severs and only stock content I bet there would be more people online.

5. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I noticed ASR has a RF1 "track pack" for download on their site, including all 16 circuits. However at just about 700MB I wonder how detailed many of those are... maybe a starting point for focused conversions, though.

7. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

I was playing around with this idea too and started messing around with 3DSimEd + 3DS Max to learn how all this stuff fits together. I ran into some problems which I couldn't overcome before my trial licence ran out in 3DSimEd. The short version of the story is that most of the track meshes for the RF1 1992 track pack are only 1 poly wide. This caused a lot of issues in certain corners where the FFB effects would practically throw the car off the road. 1992 Kyalami was probably the worst for this. I was able to separate the track mesh and improve the resolution of the mesh which eliminated this problem but I couldn't get real road happening on it without causing other issues so I had to give up on it.

I was able to get working basic conversions of 1992 Hockenheim (although the hairpin turn going into the stadium had too many bumps like Kyalami but not quite as bad). 1992 Adelaide converted perfectly and although the track mesh is only 1 poly wide there were no ridiculous bumps etc. 1992 Imola had a whole lot of texture issues which I couldn't overcome. Then my 3DSimEd licence ran out so I had to can the project.

If someone with more experience with track meshes + real road attempted this conversion I'm sure they would be able to do it, but then of course they would need to get permissions from the original creators to release it.

Here's hoping!

8. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

I was only going to pay for a licence if I could get one of those tracks happening with real road. If I could have done that, I would have approached the original creators seeking permission for a release. I would have been quite happy to do it, but like I said, I ran into so many issues along the way I had to put the idea down. Because of the issues I had with the track meshes from the source material, I came to the conclusion that really the best way of doing this would have been to pick a track and start building from scratch in 3DS max but I don't have the time for that kind of project (or the expertise in 3DS max).

9. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

How are your projects?