Competition System Blog | Week 1

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hello sim racers!

It's late at night (or early in the morning, or even the middle of the afternoon depending on where in the world you live) but that hasn't stopped us working here at Studio 397.

For your reading pleasure, please find the very first posting of our new Competition System Blog - found here: https://www.studio-397.com/2021/01/csblog-week1/

Please use the comments section below to discuss and ask questions. Enjoy!

GRAB_163-1024x585.jpg

2. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

You guys are doing a great job, congrats on the rock solid start!!!

3. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I have a question regarding the competiton system.
    Obviously you guys have an idea, goal or vision how the final comp system will look like.
    So my question(s) is:
    What will be the major feature of the system which will make people say "hey let's play (or switch) rFactor"?
    What will make it special compared to all the other systems?
    Will it even have something like this or will it be "just" a comp system like all the others?

I hope you guys know what I want to say.
    It doesn't even need to a feature. It could be something like "rFactors system is really easy to use" or "our system works 100% of the time" or something.
    But it could be of course also just a system which works and the features which will make you play rFactor are features of the game not the system.
    So that when I talk to my iRacing friends I can tell them this or that feature which makes them at least want to try rfactor. Something no other system offers.
    If I just say rfactor now has a comp system too but it's the same as every other sim (which is ok I mean the current system in iRacing works pretty well as we all can see) he will say "congratulation" and that's it.

Obviously the system just started in Beta and a lot of thing will and have to change.
    But I guess you still have or had some final idea in mind how everything will look like.
    And I want to know what this idea is like. :)

Fremen78 likes this.
  4. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

may i suggest you something? tell them that rfactor 2 has physics simulation and force feedback way, way better than iracing does. ;)

atomed, U. Daniel and juanchioooo like this.
  5. Stevy

Stevy Registered

While I agree on the FFB part I disagree with the physics part.
    Yes, rFactor has really good physics. And it's easy Top3 in simracing (with 4 main sims on the market iR, rF2, ACC, AMS2 if you look at active development lol). But it's not the best (anymore).
    And it doesn't have way way way better than other sims anymore.
    But that's not a topic or discussion for here :)

mesfigas and Alexandre Martini like this.
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

iracing physics are bad, it only saves the competition system half because there is a lot of troll, acc and ams2 is disappointing

atomed likes this.
  7. Fuzzmutt

Fuzzmutt Registered

Although the system isn't quite fleshed out yet, I'm really liking what I'm seeing and am quite looking forward to the introduction of ratings and skill-based matchmaking. Thanks to everyone at S397 for the hard work. I do however have bit of a complaint with how the content required for the series is implemented and I feel like as it currently stands the way content delivery for rf2 works might need a rework.

The issue I'm seeing is that the events are set-up in a way that it requires players to own all content for the entire season and while hard drive space isn't much of an issue for most, the amount of money you'd have to pour into rf2 just to join one series is. Sure every season afterwards you'd have to pay less or maybe even nothing but considering that, to join the GTE Series you'd have to own Endu bundle 1+2, Sebring, Ferrari and the Reiza pack, it would set you back somewhere around 45 bucks before you could even join a race. Id suggest that owning all cars would still be mandatory but that participation requires only owning the track that the series is currently running on

jslan, Jeferson Richart and atomed like this.
  8. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Registered

Guys, well done on the current state of RF2. One question though. You keep talking about a competition system but always forget to detail how we can get access (Link etc). Is this a closed beta or something or have I missed an update?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

New UI. Now standard. Have you opted out of rF2 betas in steam?

10. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I rode a few sessions and it was great fun. Even though I had some minor problems, overall it went very well for this early status. Especially the races themselves were very stable. Please keep up the good work!

atomed likes this.
  11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Well, the best argument for rF2 compared to iRacing is that it's simply cheaper. You have other advantages like no limits for the amount of different cars on track and dynamic weather which might spice things up for future competitions like special endurance events.

Compared to the rest of the other products the big plus in my book is it's open nature. It's the last product in development where you aren't 100 % dependend on the good will of the developer, and in that regard the new system might be a good entry to leagues using high quality 3rd party content without the need to spend more money than needed.

The physics and FFB are another plus. It's funny to see video of regular iRacers like DaceCam enjoying the sim even against AI asking for future online racing features.

12. atomed

atomed Member

I don't think rF2 at its current state needs any extra distinctive feature. With a robust online and a yet evolving UI it's more than enough, the driving experience is already its distinction.

juanchioooo likes this.
  13. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

my question about that would be how you can maybe change your car? Even if all points are gone.

14. Nico Barclay

Nico Barclay Registered

Plz add more Q session for GTE during the day, in american contient theres one at 3am and 4.45am so the next 4 races of the day im stuck in noba split plz @Paul Jeffrey one afer the 2nd race and after it would be perfect.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

From Discord:
    Dosetsu - Today at 14:15
    feedback : please add a "practice" button from the competition page so we can either join an open practice session or a single player race.
    I was trying to practice the loch last night, but i couldn't find any details on which track config it was supposed to be. So a practice button that takes us right there would be great.

I actually really like that idea, a direct Practice Link on the Comps Series Page (somewhere) which just loads the Car & Track in a Test Day Practice.

jslan, Comante, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  16. Neil Tyler

Neil Tyler Registered

I am really enjoying the competition system. I know it's just in Beta at the moment, but as a shift worker I like that there are races at all times of days.
    I am sure that once the Beta phase is over this will change for a more regimented season format, but i hope this is taken into account for the final version.
    In the meantime, is anyone able to point me toward the rules and race conditions for the Tatuus Winter series?
    Thanks.

17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Will we have to keep buying cars we're not interested in driving or will this change in the future?
    A while back I took a break from rf2 so there are some cars I don't have and I can't join the GTE series even if I already have the car I want to drive. A couple of cars is already enough to stop me from returning to rf2, I can't imagine how many new players this will stop from getting in to the game.

jslan likes this.
  18. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

rotfl

19. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

It would be "interesting" IRL to buy all the cars to join a racing series. (I've bought all the cars in rF2 to support them :) ) (Except you-know-which-one)

jslan likes this.
  20. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

Love the analogy

Balazs Magyar likes this.