[REL] Better UI

Discussion in 'Other' started by Cselt, Dec 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lagg

lagg Registered

In this post
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/better-ui.68373/page-2#post-1053653
    He says this "Donate me, if you like my work so I can spend more time on this project:"
    We can call donate or pay, but he is telling us that he needs money to spend time on this.
    I don't criticize him. Time is money and if i want something it's normal to pay fot it.
    In my previous post i was answering to Flatspotter. He is assuming that the work of Cselt is small and easy. I don't think so. I think that the work of Cselt, not only is very good. Furthermore opens the door to S397, to add mods to the new UI.

2. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

Thanks for doing this! Is it possible to add access to the MAS (RFMOD creation) and dedicated server (host) programs in the UI like the old version had?

pedro ramada likes this.
  3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Old UI never had this.... it just had shortcuts to the respective programs (in the launcher not UI) which have not moved even since the move to the new UI as default. All the programs you need are still in the rfactor2 folder. Make shortcuts, job done.

Cselt likes this.
  4. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

Have you tried this?

[​IMG]

Rui Santos likes this.
  5. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

Yes, I've done this and it works BUT if you're running a server from the computer you're running the sim on, in steam, one has to start RF2 then alt/tab to the desktop to launch the dedicated server. If you launch the the dedicated server 1st steam shows RF2 as running and won't start RF2. I guess what I'm asking is why can't the shortcuts just be incorporated into the UI? Isn't the point of improving the UI to make it easier to use not less convenient?

6. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Because the dedi is a separate lightweight app and shouldn't be incorporated into the main game.

8. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

Shouldn't?? I'm afraid I don't understand the reason it "Shouldn't" be there. Seemed to work fine going all the way back to RF1, and even GPL in the 90's for that matter.

M Lynn, Mibrandt and Juergen-BY like this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Shouldn't..... a dedi server is meant to be lightweight so they don't need run a full interface/game on dedicated machine. It's now gone passed 2020... doesn't matter what happened in the 90s... things have moved on.

It's so that you can run several instances of a server on one machine without the need for a monster GPU on the machine. Instead of using resources to display a game (like the clients should) a dedi works on doing that data crunching with the least amount of latency as possible.

pkelly and atomed like this.
  10. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

11. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

in the top pic in widescreen UI, all content are distorted, too wide.
    its not giving more "pixels" its just pulled the UI to be wider.
    I did restart game to see if it fixed it but didnt.

But for me it doesnt matter im runing UI in normal mode. this was just to show @Rui Santos that it doesnt work at my ultrawide too.

I

Rui Santos likes this.
  12. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

Not what I'm asking but thanks anyway

13. Kahel

Kahel Registered

With that logic they could hire anyone form this thread, no offense meant... just to point out that It was never about skill... all they had to do is listening to the community feedback and implement common sense tweak... which is what the beta phase was suppose to accomplish...
    What is valuable about Cselt work... is not his skills per say... but the fact that he is pretty much able to do what the community is being saying for 1 year now...

M Lynn, pkelly, Mibrandt and 3 others like this.
  14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, it doesn't, believe me...

15. instinkt

instinkt Registered

they should u mean

16. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

Hi, great job! Couldn't you make the tiles a little smaller to fit all on the screen, and remove the scroll bar?

17. Cselt

Cselt Member

Which screen are you talking about? I already changed the size of the tiles on the garage view. Should I change for all of the pages?

Rui Santos likes this.
  18. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

The one in the garage is fine now, I mean the configuration page, make it the same as the one in the garage, so the scroll bar would not be necessary.

atomed likes this.
  19. atomed

atomed Member

Yes I think he means the general settings page, it has the same scroll issue.

20. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

Yes, I mean that, sorry for my Google translation English, :rolleyes:.
    Another suggestion is on the screen of favorite servers you only see 5, you could put another 5 or a scroll bar to be able to see them all.

Rui Santos and atomed like this.