Dedicated server problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil Tyler, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Neil Tyler

Neil Tyler Registered

Hi,

Since the new UI was introduced, I believe, it is not possible to run a dedicated server on the same machine you want to play the rFactor2 on.

Could someone, please, tell me how to resolve this issue (if indeed it’s even possible)?

many thanks.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is possible.... have a search around this forum, many people have solved it.

If you are using the same installation make sure that you use 2 different player files and change the "WebUI port" to be different in each player JSON file.

3. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

There are many people that host servers on the same PC they race on, this was possible with the old UI launcher. We can host from within the sim like rF1, therefore this was the workaround.
    I have the same problem. I start the dedicated server, and as soon as I start rFactor the server closes (shuts down) automatically.
    This was not an issue with the old UI (launcher)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

Also, there is also no way to manage content from outside of the steam workshop, or create mod files.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Gf.GEORGE it is possible to host and play on the same PC, even the same folder. I believe you need to start the game first, then run the server. The ModMgr tool is still available, and the MAS tool is also still available.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Sure about that? What exactly has been removed that means you can't?

7. Neil Tyler

Neil Tyler Registered

Lazza, you are correct. If you start rFactor2 then initiate the dedicated server you can have them running at the same time.

However, I play using VR and once rFactor2 is active it is impossible to get back to the desktop to access the dedicated server tool and setup the race.
    Short of buying a second monitor and running a 2 monitor set up just for the dedicated server, does anyone know a way around this problem?

With the old UI I launched the dedicated server before launching the game. Since the update I have had to add a bit of code to the path that launches the dedicated server which is why Steam thinks rFactor2 is running. Is there no way get the server to launch without starting the game first?

8. lagg

lagg Registered

You can go to desktop with Windows+D

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you are using Steam VR... you can view your desktops in your headset. Usually a press of the windows key will unlock your mouse pointer from the game to access the dedi control panel.

10. Neil Tyler

Neil Tyler Registered

Thanks Lagg,
    That worked perfectly.
    I had been trying to access the desktop by pressing the windows key and then right clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'show the desktop' which had not been working.
    I hope they never update the UI again, as hosting might disappear forever then.

lagg likes this.