Car sunk in ground, chassis or car body issue?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by SL1DE, Jan 2, 2021.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

never really encountered this before. But the car appears to be sinking into the ground. I've tried changing the positioning of the "spindles" to get the car above ground but then it just drives like poo, obviously messing with the balance of the chassis.
    Anybody know how I can raise the car without messing with the balance? Is it a 3D model thing or a physics thing?

Usually everything works fine in my conversions but not this time. I've tried other various other chassis files like from my 1996 mod even some S397 stuff and the same thing happens, the car is in the ground like so.

Edit: removed screenshot to avoid revealing :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

In DevMode on Track, press Ctrl+U to display the Suspension, to check if it looks OK.
    Also check the Position of the Cars 3D in the Height.
    A good Position is, when the lowest Part of the Chassis is at Height 0.
    If that is the Case, check if the HDV Entry
    GraphicalOffset=...
    is set to 0,0,0.
    There can be more Reasons / Things to be checked if you don't find something wrong with the above mentioned....

3. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Suspension is fine, HDV is 0,0,0. But I checked the model and compared it to my other models and you're right, I think I have to edit all my 3D models up a bit because the point atm is just above the floor, it's more like in the drivers seat, so I should move it so it aligns with the bottom of the floor

4. redapg

redapg Registered

If "floor" means "lowest Part of the Chassis (Carbody)", then "yes". :)
    I also would set the Pivot Point of all Objects, except of the Steering Wheel and the Helmet of course, to 0,0,0.
    To avoid any Problems caused by these Pivot Points.

5. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Why should the lowest part of the carbody set to "touch" the floor? Why not position it like the original design position?

6. redapg

redapg Registered

That is something from my own Experience, with that i get the best Result.
    And if the Car is modeled properly, the Car appears on Track in the correct Position then.

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Ok. I did a privat conversion of a car with 3ds Max for learning purpose and for me it worked best to position it with the "design" height that's why i am asking

8. redapg

redapg Registered

There often is more than 1 Way to get Things working properly, especially in Cases where they are influenced by other Things, like the Modelling of the 3D in this Case, for Example.
    You did ask and i told you what my Experience is. ;)

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's also been the recommendation since rF1 (to place the 'floor' of the car (above the skirts) at 0 on the Y axis). Very often people move away from the examples and guides and nothing goes wrong, then much later down the track something isn't quite working right and they end up having to backtrack and rework everything.

svictor and redapg like this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

A good Indicator, when you convert rF1 Mods to rF2, that something is "wrong", also is, when the HDV Entry GraphicalOffset is not set to 0 in all 3 Values.