FFB Smoothing (share settings)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mesfigas, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Don’t listen to the people saying zero, it does not work, 16 all the way.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it "doesn't work" it would suggest the usual wheel settings, which might be aimed at games with lower FFB update rates, aren't suitable for rF2. That quality wheels would require such a level of smoothing (which means a loss of fidelity, and increased latency) just doesn't seem right.

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I can only repeat myself (and will stop from now, last post on this thread, enough said). If using smoothing factor 16 (which is incredible high, you lose all FFB details and add lot of latency), you will just not experience rF2 great FFB. With that smoothing factor you are on the FFB quality level of games like Sony Gran Turismo, maybe even lower. If this is ok for you, well then ok.

4. TJones

TJones Registered

We should be careful to not mix up FFB smoothing in-game with FFB damping setting of the Fanatec driver.
    FFB smoothing in-game of 16 would be much too high.
    FFB damping (driver setting) of 16 might be useful (I use 9 with DD1).

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

There is now way 0 is realistic, it gives the most details sure but realistic? If my real car felt as joltie and "rough" it would be in at the mechanic asap, lol.

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The only S397 car out of the 40 that is a bit rough with a T300 (low end steering wheel) is the Radical SR XX.

People sometimes use this to compensate for excessive clipping related to bad settings, as @Lazza puts it with those words.

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@2ndLastJedi mate when you start adding ffb smoothing you loose detail which is more noticeable while entering the corner that feels like "Hey where is grip feel ?"

8. Robert Bachmayer

Robert Bachmayer Registered

Ok so, dropped in-game ffb smoothing from 10 to 0 and fanatic FEI from 60 to 0 also. Feels ok, will give it more time.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I understand all this , my comment was just about it being more realistic . I use no smoothing but just don't feel FFB to be realistic . I love rF2 FFB but the whole thing about FFB is that it is trying to give the whole sitting in a car feel through just the wheel , imagine sitting in your car but floating above the seat and only feeling what was coming through the wheel , you feel very little through the wheel , nothing like FFB ;)

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Personally, my T300 sends me back to S397 cars with little torque because I have adjusted it this way, you must not forget that it is a low-end steering wheel.

Any adjustment with more torque would cause clipping and other problems.

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@2ndLastJedi Then its time for you to move to a motion simulation rig.....
    but it is very expensive

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah , im dreaming of that day .

13. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

I have a G29, isn't it too high the default smoothing value in RF2 for that wheel, which is 7? I have tried on 0 and it looks good, I had no rattling, a greater ffb effect on kerbs and an higher precision feeling. Can I keep to 0 or in your opinion is too low?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  14. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

If you don't have particularly unpleasant vibrations and sounds, 0 is still the rawest FFB and therefore the best. In any case on a T300.

Filip and ayrtonforever like this.
  15. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I was also struggling with this car, my TS PC Racer wheel feeling grainy, notchy, especially on tight corners while understeering

setting smoothing at 8 fixed this, with other cars in this Game, I would use the default 4 and they run fine. maybe some 3rd aprty mods would need also a bit higher value

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The high frequency "grainy" feedback is potentially how RF2 telegraphs that you ARE understeering.
    IMO that grainy feel is the feel of loss of grip. Filtering it out is filtering feedback.
    (OSW wheel and 0 smoothing here).

17. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

No there is a real problem with radical sr3 xx also same with the alpine.

Only way is to put filter unfortunatly (OR MODDER FFB IMPROVEMENT)

nolive721 likes this.
  18. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

no sorry, don't mean to sound rude but that's your interpretation of what it should be but that is not what I expect from understeer. my TSPC is largely capable of "transmitting" this feeling with other cars in RF2 and other Sims
    To me there is problem with this radical like there is a problem with the AMG from S397 but thanks God we have the Appex Modding who sorted this car out with their own variant

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The radical had that from the first release as far as I remember, I suspect there's a slight instability in the tyres. I gather some of the ring spring and damper rates are used to tune slip curves, I wonder if some oscillations can develop that aren't picked up during development. (some of the S397 database tyres have something possibly similar, and one of the Alpines has a vibration at medium-high speed from what I noticed with limited driving)

I'm yet to delve into the world of tyre modding so all a bit of speculation, but the first thing I'll be doing is trying to find ways to detect any errant behaviour and minimise it with any tyres I make.

nolive721 likes this.
  20. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

No need to say sorry, you're allowed to disagree and yes it is just my interpretation (hence "IMO" and "potentially").
    I think I lost something in the chain of comments as I didnt see the fact it was directly about the Radical. I avoid that car due to its ffb but not for that reason.
    Personally I find it quite a realistic feeling in other cars as front tyres "shuffle sideways" across the road surface.

nolive721 likes this.