[REL] iDT 2005/2006 Champcar Lola

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by iDTDoug, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'll admit, I haven't done a lot of laps in testing. Even fewer long runs. But I haven't noticed the rears getting hot. For me it was the complete opposite. The fronts seem to get hot for me, as the default set up does seem to have a lot of understeer.

There is also a weird point on acceleration where the car likes to "snap". I'm thinking it might have something to do with the tires, but I'm not exactly sure. But that snap feeling is what helps me with the rear tires being hot

2. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Yes I have experienced the same effect.. I have done long runs,, roughly 30 to 40 laps.. And the rears just do not seem to heat properly. And I agree I feel this is what is causing the "weird point on acceleration where the car likes to "snap""

Maybe someone has a setup to share... which brings me to another small issue, In a race server our guys can not share set ups?
    Strange but this only happens with this mod?

3. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Also another problem we are finding is that after creating custom skins, ie body, wings, helmet, when going into our server the skins are downloading but we are only seeing the body skin, the wings and helmet are showing as possibly standard skins.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

They have to be packed in a .mas file for all parts to show.

5. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

6. Berger

Berger Registered

In the new UI, thid car is overheating. And engine dies after half a lap. Both water and oil overheats.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I have tried it out and everything works ok.
    Can you please tell me exactly which car and which upgrades you did select and if you have made any setup changes and if yes, which ones?

8. Berger

Berger Registered

Default setup. Car from 2005 rooster. No updates. Tracks Cleveland and Canadian Tire from Senorman

9. Chris Lesperance

The new UI would not have changed anything. It's been roughly 3 years since I've last touched this mod. I don't recall anything quite like that. You'll probably have to open up the radiator openings in your set up.

This Lola was one of my first conversion projects. I've been learning a lot of things in my projects after this one. It could be something I would come back to, but it will not be for a long time. Couple other things taking priority at the moment.

10. Berger

Berger Registered

Water goes well over 100 deg celsius even with radiator opening 5 (biggest)
    And the oli temp goes all the way up to 130 deg celsius

11. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry, my fault, i thought it is the 2007/08 champcar mod.
    I have to read more concentrated.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

didn't those cars require throttle lift on upshifts to avoid overheating? Seems like one of Chris's mods needed that.

13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Berger Do you use engine max rpm 12000 and boost mapping 2?
    With that settings i also kill the engine after a half lap.
    Use the default engine settings.
    That works.

14. Berger

Berger Registered

Yes, I used boost mapping 2/2

15. Chris Lesperance

Ahh good call out @Bernd! I completely forgot about that.

At the time, and I think still currently, rF2 doesn't have Push to Pass. There is a "Temporary Boost" button in the Controls. That button will go to the max selectable boost setting. As far as I know, there isn't a button that allows a non-selectable boost setting.

So to get around that, I did 2 boost settings. One normal, the other as if it is on Push to pass. If you use setting 1/2, if you use the button, you do get a boost.

I removed that on the Panoz, having only one setting, until rF2 adds a push to pass. There is an "Attack Mode" button now, but I haven't investigated yet to see if that what we are looking for here.

16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

"There is an "Attack Mode" button now, but I haven't investigated yet to see if that what we are looking for here."

... hope you will - TIA

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

attack mode is tied to Formula E isn't it?

18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses this mod. Had to fix a few things so I have two versions - public and private. As my sessions are always offline I take some liberties with some mods. It seems like no one ever gets any of the Indycars quite right either handling/suspension, engine, aero, gearing etc., although the S397 Dallara is finally pretty close to what it was in the day.

Years ago when I still used a G25 I wrote a countdown timer script assigned to the button used for Temp Boost but it only worked with the Logitech wheel. That way I could set the boost level in engine.ini without damage. It doesn't take much to write a countdown timer, I am sort of surprised S397 never integrated one.

Not sure what Attack Mode does. I didn't see any references to it in the Physics Calculator worksheets but don't have all the versions to review. Various versions have various notes. Perhaps its covered in the Developer's Guide written with invisible ink. :)

As for the mod as released, aero values and ride heights are a bit skewed, both corrected in the private version I run. I use the MoTec app and with math channels one can calculate that aero drag, downforce, and power with mods that don't have encrypted files. Setting up math channels will require imputing variables that are defined in HDV, engine.ini, tire files to be accurate.

It would be nice to have the wireframe resolution updated along with some of the graphic content but I doubt iDT will be doing that, and am not looking forward to another IndyCar mod thats simply undrivable near the limits.

19. Chet

Chet Registered

Very Very good mod. Enjoy driving it.
    But the front end is pretty grippy, is it the same on the real car?

20. Chris Lesperance

Maybe? I converted the physics from the rF1 mod but used the Dallara DW12 tire files. It may be a bit more grip, but should be close I think. It has been years since I've worked on this. I was looking at updating it to the newest rF2 standards but it would need some remapping work done.

This mod uses the old F1CS mapping where the car body is on one texture and the wings on a second. With how rF2 does its IBL/PBR on the the single WCCARBODY texture, I wouldn't be able to make the wings use a proper region. Because of that, this project has moved down my "to do" list, even though it is something I really want to update. I really need to take some training done on 3d modeling. I would love to see the oval wings added and get a proper 2002-2004 Reynard.