A question on the UI. New or Old? Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmellySkidmark, Dec 24, 2020.

?

Which is the best UI and why?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2021.
  1. I like the NEW UI best

47.8%
  2. I like the OLD UI best

41.3%
  3. I don't care

10.9%
  1. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

There's a a lot of posts about the performance and look of the New UI vs the OLD UI.
    Would you like to keep the old UI as a beta? Or just embrace the NEW UI?
    What are your thoughts?

SS

2. Denis Takistani

Denis Takistani Registered

Please stay possible to use the old UI for long long time even in next builds!!! for example... i start my dedicated server in a notebook with a intel gpu graphics ... using this new UI it was impossible! Message of Rfactor2 did say that not memory graphic enough! ..... I think that just to start a simple dedicated server or open Gmas utility it not necessary open the game in dx11 mode! The new UI is slow and not efficient to make things that was simple to make in old UI. (The "Optimum thing" is the biggest enemy of the "Good Thing" )

rand777 and Corti like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're running a dedi server you don't need the UI at all. If you previously ran it from the launcher you just need to relearn how to run it via some shortcuts instead.

Corti, Vance Le Garde and juanchioooo like this.
  4. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

is there any way to go back to the old UI? New UI too complex and not very intuitive. Another problem the translations no longer work. For users who don't know English or German it becomes very difficult to understand what to do in this new UI.

Babs

Corti and Normark like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just been using old ui yesterday, and I thought how much I appreciate that I can briefly go through whole setup in few seconds, without loosing replay screen.

Ariff, rand777, Normark and 1 other person like this.
  6. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

how did you go about using the old UI?

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

In steam library, right click on rF2 and select properties, then betas tab and select the one that says something like old and deprecated

Corti and juanchioooo like this.
  8. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

thank you so much

Babs ;)

Corti and Goanna like this.
  9. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Registered

One UI, please. That's all I ask.
    For those used to old one, I understand changing creates a lot of trouble, but resources must be to make new UI even more functional than the old one.

10. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

The new UI is good enough for now. As the old UI is phased out I would expect some of the major issues with the new UI to be corrected quickly. One issue I saw in our GTE practice race the other night was the event info does not display all the race information as it did in the old UI. For instance, there is no way of knowing what type of starting procedure is going to occur (e.g. standing, rolling etc.). A small gripe, but there seems to be a few of these that need to be addressed.

11. TJones

TJones Registered

I prefer the new one over the old UI, at first because I simply can't see the old one anymore.
    I use the new UI since day one of beta and had so far abot 3-4 "crashes" (mainly freeze and blank white screen).
    I'm pretty disappointed about progress over the year, must be because of focussing on competition system. This should change in 2021.
    I think new UI has some good approches, Setup screen for example is better structured then the at the old one, which got a bit overloaded over time. It also free some space for additional features.
    While the new UI opens up a wide range of improvements, it also need those urgently. Starting with the generally to deep menu structure (submenu of submenu of sub...) basicly to much clicks necessary to choose track, car and setting up session. AI selection screen needs categorizing options (class, series). Merging in some usefull options still hidden in some ".json" files. Support of 21:9 screen. New advanced HUD technology. ...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Jim Lee, mixer61, Leynad and 2 others like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@~IsR~Barabba sorry for not answering your question, I have read your post, but then I immediately forgot to answer as this is such a special morning, very distracted haha basically I'm on the forum today because I have a habit lol

I would expect that too. But honestly I think that many issues regarding design are not even seen as issues in the first place, so I have completely no hope. It is just amazing to me how many good things are out, while of course improvements are very appreciated. But in total initial feel is that there are more steps backwards than forwards, and thats mostly all design related stuff.

But looking forward to whatsup about the competition system, why so little talk about it ? It is one thing that would drag me up into new UI version.

By the way, I have thought about constant switching between these two different UI versions depending on reason of using UI - single player, modding, or multiplayer, new UI for multiplayer. Unfortunately it seems to be creating an issue of loosing realroad builds when switching UI, so once you switch UI every track has to load a long time again to load realroad, am I correct about that, please confirm someone if that is true. For that reason I'll stay in old UI build for as much as I will be able to.

Denis Takistani likes this.
  13. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

another issue not to be underestimated is people who do not know German and English. With new UI without understanding the words of the various menus, how do they know what to do? We had to release a new UI ready for everyone, not just the lucky ones who find their language in the interface. Chronic rf2 bugs should be fixed, instead of wasting time on something not everyone likes.

Akela_DE and Corti like this.
  14. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

The new UI needs the replay telemetry info back ASAP. How can admins check replays without seeing what lap someone is on, their speed and gear to check incidents?

SS

15. Binny

Binny Guest

It does not matter if we like it or not as its happening its changing, its now up to the users to get asking for changes to make it better b4 you cannot use the old UI.

Jim Lee, Grey and mantasisg like this.
  16. Denis Takistani

in my vision almost 50% of preference to old ui shows thats a lot of things must be revised before turn the new obrigatory.

Attached Files:

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If that's your error message, you should run Steam as Admin.

Jim Lee likes this.
  18. Denis Takistani

yes a know thats others ways to start a dedi server. In old i can start easy in any notebook. now with new ui dont run with modest intel GPU. but the core of question is more deep. almost 50% of users dont be satisfied with performance and way of use. I know that in some point will be cool, better etc... but in this moment new UI is not good to a lot of users. This is a important feedback to developers. I love the RF2 and my intention is help to make it better. sorry about my poor english.

19. Denis Takistani

steam running in admin mode for years! ;)

20. Denis Takistani

i did run new ui others versions ago... only in this last update show this error.