Graphics configuration forgotten at every boot

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by jaco, Dec 24, 2020.

1. jaco

jaco Registered

Hi guys, everytime I boot my PC and launch rFactor2, my Graphics Configuration is somewhat "forgotten" and looks like the follogin picture:
    upload_2020-12-24_12-28-20.png

If I set it as follows, then they are remembered across multiple rFactor2 launches until next reboot:
    upload_2020-12-24_12-29-25.png

Am I the only one having such issues? I just reinstalled everything from scratch so I'm wondering if there's a way to really save those settings.

2. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

Can confirm, having the same issues since a a month or two.

jaco likes this.
  3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That bug is known by S397 since years, but still not fixed.
    Merry christmas and a happy new year to all.

jaco likes this.
  4. jaco

jaco Registered

Hi @Bernd , Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too. If I only knew where to check for bugs already open... :(

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

One place to check for already reported bugs, is the bug report section of this forum and also the forum search helps a little bit to find reported issues. ;)

6. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Registered

If you leave it on "Auto", which graphics option will the game actually select when it loads up?

7. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

There is usually a reason for it to revert to default.
    (1) Windows update. (2) Video driver update. (3) Steam update. (4) RF2 update. (5) Restart instead of shut down. (6) Computer crash maybe, not always. (7) Game crash, some times.
    It's not random, I've always found it to be one of the above reasons. I always check before playing rF2, good habit to get into.

8. jaco

jaco Registered

Hi @Highlandwalker , unfortunately none of the above applies but thanks for the answer.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you have an unused onboard video driver, it will attempt to use that. And you get errors like 'not enough video memory.' For YOUR benefit, get in the habit of checking that everytime you launch rF2. It may not change for dozens of loads, but there is no warning if it does.

jaco likes this.
  10. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Registered

Doesn't this Config_DX11.ini have some sort of RegEdit file associated with it to enable it to run, and if so, can't we edit the parameters to hard set it to the card we want to use?

11. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Peter Stefani I don't think that the information about which grafics card is selected, is stored in the rF2 Config_DX11.ini.
    It seems to be "stored" in the Ram or a kind of temporary storage, because when you have set it, it works the whole time until you turn of the PC.
    And then you again have to set it, when you start the PC the next Time.
    I can not remember when it stopped to work properly (yes, some years ago it did work :)), but i'm pretty sure that it already was at the time, when it was developed by ISI yet.

jaco likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm vaguely recalling that it may have been when Microsoft released a new version of Windows. Probably the change from 7. So Vista?

13. jaco

jaco Registered

Hi @davehenrie, it happens at every reboot. Yesterday I migrated to triples using Nvidia Surround and I think the problem became irrelevant for me (or at least, it seems so far).

davehenrie likes this.
  14. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

with the latest update, it seems this is much more common again that rF2 loses it's graphic settings on pc reboot. with the former patch it seemed everything was a bit more stable on that regard.