Suggestions for the controller support

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gianlucap, Dec 23, 2020.

1. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

Hey S397, got some suggestions for the controller support.
    Many players play the game with a gamepad, just like what happened in the past with RF1, RBR and GTR2.
    RF2 allows to customize the controller in many ways and the player can have a perfect and smooth control in the end. It even allows to customize the steering angle (Steering Wheel Range) and this is fantastic, because one can leave the default Vehicle Set and use the stick differently according to the car selected, or choose to have always a fixed steering angle (say 180 or 200°). It is perfect. Way beyond what we can get in other racing titles.
    There is only one major feature missing and it's the rumble/vibration.
    To have the gamepad ffb we use a custom 3rd party driver, that enable the steering ffb in the gamepad motors. It works exactly like that, we have vibrations on the steering stick (NetKar pro and the early builds of AC worked this way). The final result is a gameplay experience much more alive compared to the other racing games.
    You can test this by yourself downloading the file from the RD page (I'm the uploader) and with an xbox 360/xbox one controller, or one of the other controllers supported by the file. This shouldn't create any conflict if the system has only the default controller drivers installed. If in the pc there are also the drivers for a steering wheel, maybe Steam can see different controllers an the custom driver may not work in game. Don't really know, since this is used mostly by players that don't have a steering wheel. Anyway, it's just to feel the different kind of vibration that I'm talking about.
    This is the driver file:
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/how-to-enable-the-controller-vibration-in-rfactor-2.22341/
    it enables the ffb also in RF1 and GTR2.
    If I remember well, the early builds of RF2 by ISI had this kind of ffb support for the gamepad, because back then I had the vibration without the need for a custom driver. But I could be wrong.

Please, ask one dev to have a look at this and introduce the ffb support for the gamepads. Don't touch anything else, there's no need, just the vibration. And let us know eventually in the update notes.

P.S. would be great to navigate the new UI with the gamepad in the future. Hope this is planned.
    Thanks for your work, bye.

2. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I'm sorry but I don't think a SIMULATION should support any kind of gamepad.

Do you drive your real car with a gamepad ?

Actually, I don't think rFactor 2 should allow anything else than cockpit view as well but it is not the case...sad, the only simulation enforcing cockpit view is iRacing and it is a very strong point for them.

3. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

It's always the same old crap of wheel vs pad. Please leave this kind of comments out of this thread, this is a request for the devs.
    There are thousands of players who play RF2 with a gamepad, just like in every other racing sim. Players who buy content and support the devs. If it was only for the wheel players, the devs wouldn't have never earned enough money to keep doing what they do.
    When I'll have the space for a sim rig, I'll buy a wheel. Until then I'll use my desk space for other devices.

4. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

As you said, it is always the same problem, is it legit for a simulation to waste time for this kind of stuff ? You don't think there are much more important problems to fix beside being able to drive with a gamepad in a SIMULATOR ????

Thousands of user with a pad ? Where did you find this statistic exactly ?

Yeah, same old crap, always kiddish demands like this to tune down a simulator so it becomes an arcade like retarded game.

I am a user of rFactor 2 as others, I have the right to downvote your demand and to explain WHY I downvote it.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've raced against gamepadders who drove better than some wheel users.

@Yzangard you can have an opinion, but tone it down a bit please (as a fellow user, nothing more).

6. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Why should I tone down ? What is wrong with my tone ? What tone do I have ? I just write sentences, you read them with the tone you like but it may not be mine.

You drove against better drivers with pad than some with wheels ? Sure, I drove against total idiots with pads that destroyed perfectly driving pilots with wheels, do we really need to discuss about everybody's experience ?

I just don't feel legit to ask for a easier pad experience in a simulator, I don't think it is normal to drive more efficiently with a pad than with a wheel. Every single game with this kind of demand always end in a simplified driving, aiming, overall less demanding experience that totally ruins the fun. If they want to drive with a pad, let them drive with a pad but there is no reason to make it easier for them or you will ruin the game, like 100% of other games that tried this.

7. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

@Yzangard, leave this thread alone please. Don't spam. You didn't even read my post. I asked the devs to enable the vibration support for the pad. Nothing else. This has nothing to do with the physics of the game and can't affect in any way the gaming experience of the players who use other devices. I don't think was so difficult to understand. It's written in plain english.

8. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I understood and maybe overreacted but I don't understand how someone can ask for a better gamepad experience in a simulator, even if it is only vibrations, it is still asking for a better gamepad support in a simulator, it is the first step before cry babies came here and ask for easier experience with pad because they can't compete with others and it is unfair. You don't believe me ? Just check iRacing forums, ACC forum, etc...it always happens, sooner or later.

Why don't you just get what a simulator requires : wheel and pedals ? You can find really cheap stuff if price is a problem, why asking for a better gamepad experience, it is a simulator !

Ok, I "leave the thread alone", I clearly made my point I think and I hope S397 won't follow this path just to get more users.

9. lagg

lagg Registered

Then, you overreacted because you know what will happen?

10. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

No, because it is asking dev to waste time on this when there are much more important stuff to fix and to enhance. And I explained why I think it is wasting time in my opinion.

And yeah, experience proved that this will happen if you let the first step happen. It happened every single time, sooner or later. Learning from others mistakes isn't a new thing you know.

I am not the one who decides but I am a customer as well and I downvote this kind of demand with explanations, I hate when ppl downvote something and don't explain why.

11. lagg

lagg Registered

Some people think that using the time for things that don't benefit themselves is wasting time.
    I hate when the whish of people is to harm others.

12. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I will survive your hate easily.

Can I leave the thread now ?

13. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't hate you.
    You can re-read my previous post and leave this thread when you want. :D

14. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

Funny thing is that all the racing simulations come with proper gamepad support from the go, even iracing and NKP work fine with a x360 controller. Because in fact when it comes to controllers, both the wheel and the gamepad work the same way and are recognized by the game at the same way. Even the ffb informations can be delivered to the gamepad motors in the same way, if there is a driver that enable this (like the one I mentioned).
    Dumbing down a game has nothing to do with the device used. That is a decision that the devs take if they want to please a certain kind of players. If in the future S397 will make a sequel with a console porting, then they probably will take the same decision that made Kunos with AC. They will keep the game as it is and introduce a new GUI that can be navigated with a gamepad (and a wheel), without the need to a keyboard. Just that. Kunos haven't changed the physics as far as I know. Same for ACC. Both their games offer proper gamepad support, on which clearly they put lot of effort. Are these two dumbed down games for gamepad players, or simulations that offer controller support?

As for the time and effort that my request would take to S397, I think it's a one dev thing and 2 days of time, at max. And I don't see this as wasted time at all.
    The fear that if the devs will allow this, then S397 could decide to transform RF2 in the new Grid is hilarious.

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

So narrow minded. Just remember, not everyone can afford or physically use a wheel/pedal setup.