rFactor 2 Crashing: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by yessir, Sep 11, 2020.

1. yessir

yessir Registered

Hi all,

rFactor 2 crashes when I attempt to play on the public beta. This does not happen on the regular version, but I greatly prefer the beta UI. I have attempted many reinstalls and even a fresh install of Windows. I play a lot of games and this is the only one I have a problem with. The log file is rather large, so I have attached it to this thread. This started happening about 2 weeks ago and the latest update did not fix it. It's also worth mentioning that I have attempted to start the game without all the overlays enabled as a long stretch (NVIDIA, Steam, and Windows).

When I attempt to run rfConfig.exe, I get the error "Failed to load advancedEffects file." It eventually does start, but nothing seems to save.

UPDATE: Also adding that I used to be able to play the public-beta months ago with no issues.

Specs: 9th gen i5, 16GB ram, GTX 1660, 165hz 2k monitor and a 144hz monitor
    *I will upgrade to the rtx 3000 series later this month, so if nothing works hopefully this fixes it.

Video of crash:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  2. yessir

yessir Registered

Update: RTX 3080, clean install. Same thing.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You shouldn't run rFConfig directly. You should be going into that by pressing PLAY in steam, which will give you the option to run the config tool (on the new UI).

I would reinstall DirectX and the runtimes in the Support folder, just to make sure everything is fine there, then check for tools like Rivatuner that might interfere with anything graphical - I think it has a stealth mode, for example. Similar for some antivirus settings.

4. yessir

yessir Registered

rFactor still crashes when clicking play from Steam, however, it does work when I launch it in dev mode (but it uses the old UI, so what's the point)

I even went out a bought a new motherboard and new RAM specifically for this game, still no bueno. Highly doubt it's hardware related due to these changes. So strange...

I attempted to run rFactor before installing any software (after installing NVIDIA drivers, of course) and it still crashes. Still, I will attempt to reinstall DX, but I don't think it will work. Windows Defender exclusion also did not work.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  5. yessir

yessir Registered

I found a clue to this mystery. The video driver number in the config changes to a random value every time I switch the GPU setting (from auto to gpu, etc). I am absolutely stumped.

[​IMG]

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@yessir sorry, but random and made up video driver in the config is normal. No clue there :oops:

7. pety100

pety100 Registered

I have the same problem with the new ui. I need java or what is this message in the log??

Attached Files:

8. yessir

yessir Registered

I am sorry to hear that. The update actually fixed it for me. Hopefully a dev sees this and can look into it.

9. pety100

pety100 Registered

Hello. Which update fixed it? What you updated?

10. yessir

yessir Registered

The rFactor 2 update released today fixed the error for me. The new UI has been available via a beta for about a year now. For the last 4 months, I couldn't use the new UI(beta) because of this error. Now that the new UI is permanent via the new update on Steam, the error went away.

11. yessir

yessir Registered

Forgot to mention...you can still use the old UI. Just go into Steam games -> properties->betas->and change it to old UI. That way you can an at least play.

[​IMG]

12. pety100

pety100 Registered

Yeah, I know that. Thanks anyway.