New UI - lack of smoothness

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Kevin Karas, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Hey guys,

This is bothering me since the launch of the very first version of the new UI. Despite having high fps (60-locked 99) in the UI i´m noticing extremely bad smoothness overall. Its like frametiming is very bad making it look and feel like an old 24fps movie. I´m getting headache from using it. Its the only situation I have that feeling. Not ingame, not with other games. Using a powerful rig (5800X, RTX2070S) and a 165Hz 1440p monitor.
    Is there something settings wise I am missing to make the UI actually fun to use?
    Also damn we need a dark version and a new settings and car setups pages. Those are a pain to use :D

Cheers
    Kevin

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. br444m

br444m Registered

Are you running the November build? They decoupled the UI rendering from other tasks which should have a positive impact (see release update here)

More explanation of this from the october dev update:

3. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Im on latest version as of now via steam and no there is no difference

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. Havner

Havner Registered

I second that. It's not that the UI lags in some awkward way. It's generally and consistently not smooth and quick. Things I did in the old UI with 3 simple clicks now take 6 clicks (more tabs) and the wait time between clicks is increased 3 times. Due to waiting for the animations to finish, etc.
    I also saw no increase in speed and smoothness after the UI threading update. Even the "server refresh" was not made concurrently even though I had an impression those changes should make doing such things possible.

What I'd suggest is creating an option that will turn OFF most UI animations and transitions and hope the new UI will handle such quick transitions and rendering.

sg333, svictor, Kevin Karas and 2 others like this.
  5. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

^^ Yeah I second that. For me the new UI is a step back. Everything too big, too slow, too much clicks. Not very user friendly

sg333, nextacyn and Kahel like this.
  6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

That's what you have when some clever "UI designer" thought it would be a good idea to include slow web animations in a game UI...
    And don't get me started on horizontal scrolling...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Kevin Karas and Havner like this.
  7. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Damn the horizontal scrolling..... There is soooo much space wasted in that new UI. Why scrolling at all, when a sleek menu would fit on the whole page. I dont get it. They obviously tried to be modern and coded a mobile games UI onto a desktop app. I was so heavily looking forward to this but I got dissappointed.
    I mean look where the multiplayer menu is. Its not even on the Main Page. You literally have to search it

8. Kime

Kime Registered

you can change from horizontal scrolling to a layout with vertical scrolling on the top left of the page..

9. Weaving

Weaving Registered

To me it definitely doesn't feel as intuitive as the previous version. I've only been playing a month or so, but I had the previous UI sussed a few hours in on the first day I played. A few days in now with the new UI and i'm still finding myself thinking "okay so click customise, okay so now click on race, change the menu viewing okay, click select, now go back, etc". Perhaps it will improve over time...

Not being able to see all the car liveries or steering range on a lot of the cars is another step back too. But hopefully this will change too.

10. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

On the car setup page?? On the main menu?

Havner likes this.
  11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

They should dismiss the idea of horizontal scrolling completely in my opinion. Im sitting infront of my ultrawide 1440p having to scroll in the main menu with extraordinary huge tiles :D I mean common. There is plenty of space to fit 4! menu options :D