Fitting animation to steering wheel position, chassis and driver

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Intellego, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Intellego

Intellego Registered

I was finishing an SF1000 rf1 to rf2 conversion that would be the first in a series of conversions to bring f1 2020 cars with accurate chassis to this awesome game. Right now the only thing standing between me and releasing the preview of the conversion, the sf1000 one, is the .anm not fitting properly. Hands dont match steering wheel and I have to artificially reposition the driver model in the cockpit via .gen to get it at least seemingly fitting.

I have no idea how to make a .anm file so I wanted to ask if anyone could be so kind to quickly modify one in order to fit both driver arms, cockpit and steering wheel. I will include the files here or via PM after a reply. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

2. Schumi

Schumi Registered

Yes, I can.

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

My process has been to load the SW and driver model in 3D Sim Ed. Then right click on the driver model, and select the object (1.). Load in an existing animation from a car that is close. For F1, the FISI 2012 I think would work (2.). Then I would move the driver model coordinates, which is where you scroll up from the screen shot (3.) to align the hands with the wheel. If the hands are too wide or narrow, I would adjust the scale. Drivers are different sizes, so being a few percent different isn't a big deal. In 3D Sim Ed, you'll need to make sure the animations box is checked, otherwise you won't see it. It goes through the animation as well, so you can get a glimpse if you are close.

If you make a movement to the body, just make sure you do the same for the helmet.

If there is an easier, more accurate way of doing this, I would be interested to know. I know when I did the DP01 with this process, the elbow sticks out of the car a little bit, and I would like to fix that someday.

driver.jpg

4. Intellego

Intellego Registered

that's great. is there a tutorial too on how to use .json and region files to make matte effects for materials? i have looked some tutorials but its all about vanilla cars.
    Moreover I dont understand why the decals on my steering wheel are not showing despite showing in rf1. is there a value in the materials that turns the whole skin black?

P.S. I tried but of course what happens is that the driver sits too high

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  5. Rodrigo Vieira

Rodrigo Vieira Registered

Hi @Chris Lesperance , I followed your "tutorial" and was very fast and, very very easy! Thank you for share your tips!!

6. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'm actually in a situation now where my tutorial will not work LOL!

So if there is a different tutorial where there is a bit more adjustability, please let me know.

7. Rodrigo Vieira

Wow! What's the problem you're facing?

8. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I am still trying to learn how to rig a character as I can't seem to find pre-rigged drivers to use anymore.

10. Rodrigo Vieira

I guess that only 3DS can be used to guarantee a perfect fit to the hands' driver!