Released December 2020 Build Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

????

When you do some laps, the ones on the right show the worn disc thicknesses. They tell you how much wear there was, sort of. It is different info to the setting...

Reiche and juanchioooo like this.
  2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

with official mod I have never had brake problems, I understand that it has some more info, but irrelevant in the simulator

3. Binny

Binny Guest

Lots of complaint's about the new UI, can anyone tell me how the suggestions from the users get prioritized for adding, fixing the new UI ?
    Is it likes, more complaints, wish list ECT.. Does anyone know ?

David Short likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was chatting to someone in discord just 2 days ago about brake failure, and depending on the mod (perhaps less official, sure.. think more F1) it's very much an issue. But I wasn't really aiming to discuss about this, was just pointing out that info isn't duplicate of what's on the left.

Reiche and juanchioooo like this.
  5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

There's been suggestions and feedback for months (years?) by beta users but it seems largely ignored, with S397 determined to keep this clunky design. It could be awesome but is just barely passable. It's like nobody is in charge to put the resource to fix this or want to put the effort to finish it and address usability issues. Now that it is the default, the only hope is that people complain loud enough repeatedly...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

;) I am NOT surprised. lol.

I see his answer now. I thought it was a snarky battle cry rather than an answer. Jeez, mybad.

Lazza likes this.
  7. Carr

Carr Registered

@Christopher Elliott The whole UI seems to lag significantly when changing screens, it is like it is rendering it for the first time even when switching between 2. There isn't really a reason why it should take over a second for the main rFactor 2 tab to open when selecting it so I can close the game after a race. Same with the server lists, it can take several seconds to load once you hit "more" (which I wouldn't need to if the scroll was on the favorites) which never took more than a blink of the eye in the old launcher, hell, even the original launcher loaded the list faster. Even refreshing the list is fast, the only thing that appears to be slowing it down is the UI interface.

It might seem like I am nit picking, but when we are forced to access multiple pages to get to where we need to. It feels slow and old, not years of work. It is hard enough to stay with rF2 considering the increasing range of options now available, we don't need to give more reasons.

I have had rF2 for 7 years and been modding for at least 5 and have seen many a change in it, some good, many bad. I just hope that this new UI means more to the dev team than a competition system. rF2 is falling further and further behind the competition, this UI could have made a huge difference, but it fell short IMO.

For reference, I am running a i9 10850k @ 4.8ghz, 32GB ram, GTX1080 and have rF2 installed on a M.2 NVMe drive, Windows 10 latest updates, no erroneous programs running.

8. justposted

justposted Registered

For what I do, which is pretty straightforward jump in and race (single player or multiplayer), I'm happy with the new UI. Never really used the old one. But I don't tweak my setups or mess about with mods, which I realise may be the main concern that people have here.

The one improvement that I think is essential is with the mod installation side when I join a multiplayer. 90% of the time I get 'An error occurred. Unable to install server mod ...' As the option is then to click through from the main menu or quit the game (an odd option to have here), it gets pretty laborious trying to get on a multiplayer server. Oh and if this happens to be a mas file error, then the game carries on trying to load it even when I start a single player game, so I have to force-quit rFactor (because the cursor also disappears).

A nice-to-have improvement on the server browser would be ordering by number of non-AI players. Running my eye down to spot the difference between number of players and number of AI is a minor annoyance. Knowing whether the servers are at Practice, Quali or Racing is also pretty important information that is missing.

I'm not sure what the story is with the competition system. Presumably all will be revealed on Christmas Eve, as at the moment nothing has changed from before this update. If the update leads to multiplayer being more popular and more functional, then I couldn't be happier. It's the main reason I drop out of rFactor of an evening and play around on ACC or AMS2 instead.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Se7en89 likes this.
  9. David Short

David Short Registered

I had been happily using the new UI for months until this issue caused me to revert back to the Old UI. A support ticket was posted Nov 21 and acknowledged by @Christopher Elliott. that it was a know issue and would be fixed in the next build. I'm all for the new UI and all the progress being made to move this great Sim forward. I know that there are lots of things on 397's plate and VR users might not represent a large user base but is it possible we can get a hot fix for this or perhaps just disable the flat vr desktop mirror until the problem is sorted.

Studio 397 can run their business how ever they see fit and I for one am glad they are still actively developing it. It is impossible to keep everyone happy and address everyones concerns. Perhaps as the New UI is now the default, Studio 397 can start a new UI thread only accessible to post in by the Dev's to list: to be done items, known bugs/issues (potential fix dates), down the road potential wish list items etc. As it seem to me some peoples posts get responded to, while most others do not. A list such as this might help in the transition and be a place to consolidate the studio's priorities moving forward hence alleviating the need for countless threads discussing similar concerns/issues in different places.
    With one quick click on the thread users can see what's happening and planned and things not in the list/thread currently can be equally important to set expectations on what's not on the horizon.

Maybe not possible or a stupid idea but Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    pkelly and Craig Waddell like this.
  10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Not sure if the download came in intact, but it runs (new UI). I tried the new UI before and went back to the original in short order. Kind of reminded me of when Parametric Technologies first released Pro-E; literally had to cascade through 9 menus to pick the cylinder tool.

First attempt to run a single player session although the track (& subtrack level) was selected it wouldn't take, reverting to the last track I was racing. After a session and exit, track selection worked OK. Maybe thats a normal thing I don't know. I don't recall that happening when I did the beta test in Nov 2020. Using a single 4K monitor the mouse curser goes way off screen like its set to 8K; both vertical and horizontal. It doesn't help that the curser seems to be rendered for 1080P so its tiny and lack of contrast makes it even harder to find.

Timed the load for LeMans 2020 & RSS RT24-P (10 cars) at 6:57. Previously it was just under 2:40.

There are memory leaks that weren't in the original UI. Not all that unusual in a transition project like this, but at the same time there is a reason I'll never buy a product from Adobe.

FWIW, the PC I use is dedicated to rF2; I have three other PC's in my home office for other use.

Given the longer load time its become far more crucial in Multiplayer to identify the Mod. This was already a major inhibitor for folks wanting to join a Multiplayer session, not many want to wait a couple minutes to join only to find the hosting server is running a mod they don't care for. While the mod name can be listed manually it rarely is.The data can be easily extracted for this.

I'll try reloading and see if that corrects the memory leak issue, but I figured if there were any flipped bits in the process CRC would have caught it.

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Thank you very much.......................but I use the old UI, the new UI is slow and white....
    Let's see about the AI updates, it's all I focus about in rF2, as I play 100% offline, hotlap or against AI.

12. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

The UI itself needs a redesign I think, plz hire a professional UX designer to do that so that the UI can be convenient to use and functions placed on reasonable place and easy to start a race. All other problem just need time to fix like lag and bugs, but the core design definitely needs improvement. The color scheme not suit a game but it's rf2 scheme like we saw on this forum so take a good design and make a good user experience...

13. SharD

SharD Registered

I really dislike the new UI. It's clumsy to use, low res and looks far worse than the old UI. It's also slower than than the old UI and I don't like that the content manager isn't accessible without starting up the game anymore.

How do I revert back to the old one?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Go to BETAS in steam rF2 properties. Select old-ui.

Jason K and SmellySkidmark like this.
  15. SharD

SharD Registered

Good thing it also gives me back the old content manager. Cheers, Lazza.

Dady Cairo, Jason K and Lazza like this.
  16. Crankie

Crankie Registered

Thanks Lazza I reverted back to old ui

17. PinPointGenie35

PinPointGenie35 Registered

Latest update is causing a crash to desktop for me.
    Completely fresh install, had to re-enter name and nickname ...but still crashes on start up.
    Screen goes white, i see the mouse pointer with the z's next to it then back to desktop. Dev mode seems to work though ..

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For what it's worth I don't mind the new UI. It's different, and will take a little time to learn where some stuff is (especially in the car setup), but if I now leave it active I probably will learn those things fairly quickly. The technical issues need fixing (I thought that would happen before, or when, we switched to it...) and some layout issues definitely persist, but it's not putting me off being in the game. If any stability issues persist that will certainly be irksome, but if everyone is using it it'll also push the devs to fix those faster.

I wonder if you simply weren't actually clicking Select? Sounds weird anyway.

I don't have those cars, but I was checking something in the Aston GTE so I loaded up Le Mans 2020 with 10 of those instead. So I had previously loaded that car.

First load: 4 mins.
    Second load: 1m 20s.
    Restarted rF2, checked settings hadn't changed (track, 10 AI), loaded: 1m (0 secs).

I suspect your long load time was simply the first load. I'd be very surprised if it continued to take upwards of 5 mins.

zxd1997 likes this.
  19. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I don't mind the new UI either, but frankly it looks like an app that was laid out on Powerpoint by a marketing guy. The one feature I did like was that it shows setups from all the tracks making it easier to choose a good baseline for a new track. It has somewhat of a demo level feel to the navigation controls like it was built with VB6, but I suspect thats something S397 will eventually refine.

I did a decremented UI change, ran a session, than returned to the new UI. This time LeMans loaded in 4:10 the first time. Prior to starting the new UI I opened a session (old UI) let it set for about 10 minutes then shut it down. New puppy wanted to play so that session was interrupted. It was a normal exit from the session, and than I closed the entry screen of the old UI - did not reboot, but re-opened.

I've got a memory watchdog, pretty light on resources, and it's indicating there are about 2MB of open objects after running a session, exiting, and closing out. It didn't grow after 3 sessions, and it doesn't repeat with the old UI.

I'll just remain with the old UI for now.

I wish I could figure out how to get the curser to be "normal size".

McFlex and Jason K like this.
  20. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

I briefly tried the new UI.

I was mentally prepared for a complete disaster which was reinforced by Road Atlanta taking about 5 minutes to load in single player.

Maybe because it was with the new UI for the first time because joining the efnet server took 30 seconds.

We lost telemetry in replay.

The running order in replay is wrong.

You apparently have to leave the server to change cars. A step backwards to what we had with rF1 and a major disappointment.

I saw skin related stuff including Create Directory so hopefully it works.

I was initially annoyed by having visibility on only 5 servers at a time in the list "thumbnail filmstrip" vs "details" style but it works, just different. It seems like it would take an overhaul of the vehicle files to be able to concisely list cars in addition to the usual server name, track, ping and number of drivers. I never paid attention before but maybe how many AI is new.

***edit 2020-12-22 21:31*** ^^^^ The server list can be displayed as a list. I didn't check any of the other screens except for Packages which also has four formats.

Given a choice, I'd take the old UI because it takes less time to navigate but the new one certainly looks nicer and the reality is that we're stuck with it or will be soon. Hopefully, they'll fix the problems quickly and we'll get back the missing stuff and the Competition System will make it all worthwhile.

I and many others are running (have run) out of patience. I have spent hundreds of hours promoting and improving our club hoping to attract more racers to us and rFactor 2 but a few hours with iRacing and it's obvious why most of the drivers who are still actively racing but no longer with us are racing there.

No more backwards steps, PLEASE, Studio 397.