Released December 2020 Build Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Now my game crash with new UI...
    :(

pety100 likes this.
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

We are still working on the UI and will continue to improve it.
    When you say it's slower/laggier, which part of the UI?

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

When does it crash?

4. EmanueleMarra15

EmanueleMarra15 Registered

I hope that with the competition system there will also be the driver statistics and the possibility of seeing the results of the races held :)

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The old UI will always be available via the beta tab in STEAM. However, they have clearly stated that many of the new features will require the new UI. You guys have had a year to get used to this....

6. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Complain about the new UI well deserve... but Let try to make constructive one as much as possible.

And on the devs side... you guys make yourself a big disservice by keeping focusing on 'big task' and never - at least that's how it feels like - addressing smaller, easier, more visible one...
    Bug fix should be the priority but after that...

Thing like the making the setup menu more compact etc... are straight forward and would go a long way.

McFlex likes this.
  7. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yep... but it goes both way... the devs also had a year to make it an acceptable release...

And we've been sadly on the disappointing side ever since the beta release...
    ...despite the numerous, sometimes even great and time consuming... feedback from the community.

PS: Having said that, thanx for the work till now, despite some frustrating results... Still think, the complain should slow down a bit around big release and being focus on bug fix... was just triggered by davehenrie way of saying it... anyway. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

An alternate way. It took me until a few days before the update where they added it as a selection
    https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/development-tools/developer-mode

Am I considered old when all the posts for the road map were "Where is the new UI", "When is it coming" :)

I'm really happy to see the Ligier make it. I hope that is able to spawn off into getting the LMP3. With IMSA now adding LMP3 to their races, I think all the cars there so far will be using the Ligier. Even though it would be an Evo version compared to the original Norma, that class could use a partner

I'm still curious to see how the Caddy fits into the equation with the Oreca and Ligier. Are we looking at 2020 rule set where the Cadillac is a class above LMP2 or are we looking at 2018 where DPi was BOP to LMP2 speeds?

Juergen-BY likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Understood, but the feeling I'm getting this morning reading the posts is one of surprise. As if many users made little or no attempt to become familiar with the new UI. I am, as you, disappointed that many seemingly simple things have yet to migrate from the original UI to the web based version. Most of that should have been completed within weeks of the original beta release. But, for the record, S397 has been upfront with their desire to make the web-based UI the permanent version. Anyone who dismissed the UI due to clicks or colors or not enough content on each screen, will only be hurting themselves as the change-over becomes permanent.

Remco Majoor and McFlex like this.
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

CHANGE IS HARD!!!!!

Is what I am reading :)

It's not the end of the world.

"NEW UI, WHERE IS THE NEW UI!!!?"
    Studio 397 gives new UI

"OLD UI WHERE IS THE OLD UI!?" :D

Nothing has
    fundamentally changed. You can still access all the tools you had access to before. The MAS2 tool and Modmanager haven't vanished. I read the docs (as some of you should have done) and accessed Mod Mode via a shortcut.... nothing has changed.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My first thought was there is no mention of which year the Cadillac represents, which is out of character with all the GT DLC releases. But then you have to consider which team is their partner, JDC-Miller. JDC-Miller ran Oreca's in 2018 and did win a couple of races late in the year. But the JDC-Miller Cadillac program came after the rules changes that separated the DPI from the LMP2 cars. (both as separate classes and performance differences) So we have to assume the BOP will mimic IMSA rules (due to JDC-Miller) and be after the class separation. However, that leaves us with the Ligier which is clearly NOT on-par with the Oreca.

12. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

Let's go!

Thanks for bringing the competition system, hope everything goes well in this and the coming weeks!

On the new UI, guys please give them constructive feedback... they had to change to keep evolving the sim.

pkelly likes this.
  13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

All bugs & problems fixed. Still went back to old ui, xmas saved

ladose.lebelge and Dady Cairo like this.
  14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I have always defended its transformation and praised the improvements in rfactor 2, but in turn denouncing the things that are not effective, my criticism is constructive, only that, certain things have not been fixed, if the competition system is going to go as repairs Of which so far there are only complaints because they have not been repaired, in the end the list of complaints will be even longer than: the movie the endless story
    copying the bad from other simulators is not good
    at the moment the new UI is a disaster:confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

15. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

To those having issues, for what it's worth, I've been on the Beta UI almost since day one and it runs beautifully and butter smooth. However, when I first switched UIs I had to uninstall rF2 completely and re-install it solving any issues I had, and I had quite a few.

16. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I have been using the new UI for about 2 months now, before that I had tried it every now and then but either I couldn't get used to it or certain functions annoyed me. But 2 months ago the UI became usable and I have been using it exclusively and I can reassure everyone here, after a few days the UI no longer takes getting used to and actually seems much more modern and better compared to the old one. Of course, there are still some minor issues that bother me (for example, the voting in multiplayer) but these are only minor things. So keep calm and invest a little time first.

Otherwise, all that remains for me to say is, thank you very much for the great work this year, take care, see you in 2021.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is awesome that new UI is finally default so that one thing is out and not going to bother us as much. But what is even better, is that old UI is still an option. And I am choosing old UI option.

I guess new UI was improved in second half of this year, I have used it for a while half a year ago, and I couldn't spot a lot of things improved right now. First of all things I don't like is very uncomfortable garage menu... Scroll bars still sticking. I am not getting devmode option when launching. What about ptool, I wish I'd find out. The main menu is also as fragmented as possible causing as much clicking through windows as possible.

I think it isn't hard to get used to. But it is definitely impossible to get it to be as comfortable and quick as older UI. How this was not achieved I can't imagine. Literally one of most important things.

By the way, I have not gotten much experience with adjusting mods for new UI, but it is it true that image material required for new UI can consume nearly third of whole mods weight ?

Looking forward to see whats up about esports, I mean the competition system. It is quite exciting, it might influence me to drive the cars that I don't want to drive so much, and maybe buy few of those usual suspects DLC.

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

we have failed in this task :)

Dady Cairo and Marko like this.
  19. StuartAM

StuartAM Registered

Sorry first post...

I noticed in the November roadmap it did say that the competition system would mandate the use of the new UI...

Can’t wait for the offline championship addition...

keep up the good work

20. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Been using the NEW UI for a while now and like the visuals when selecting a car. A suggestion as to what I would like to see, as a predominately single player, is to have this same screen for selecting opponents as in selecting the vehicle for single player mode. Currently the all or nothing approach for opponents of category/car and then the hit or miss of booting/adding for a balanced mix is time consuming and ultimately futile.
    Also having to create a mod using the MAS2 File Utility does not provide the visibility of liveries other than a car number. This also fails if multiple vehicles within the same manufacturer share the same number. The system selects one of them and omits the other(s).

For single player AI car selection would be either 'Random of Same Class', 'Same Car'or 'Custom'
    Random of Same Class
    System would select based on the class of vehicle player has chosen
    Same Car
    System would select based on the vehicle player has chosen
    Custom
    User may select any class, vehicle livery as owned.
    System would set capacity based on user input and pit stalls allowed per venue. If insufficient number of vehicle are available as player owned, system will select multiples of owned vehicles within class/vehicle(s) until the number of opponents selected reaches capacity chosen.

Have a tick box, or similar, for 'Self' and 'AI' next to the Select button in the screen for choosing the vehicle you will be driving, by default neither is selected.
    The selection for Self would only be applied to a single car, another car may be selected while browsing but the previous selection would be cleared.
    When 'Random of Same Class' is selected the AI vehicles will be randomly selected and the AI tick box for those vehicles will be checked. User may deselect a vehicle, and the system will change selection of Random of Same Class to Custom. User may now select as per class or vehicle of choice for self and AI.
    A counter would indicate number of selected AI and number remaining (i.e. 6/30, 7/30 etc.)
    When all selections are made an option is available to SAVE as a car set.

In short bring the MAS2 File Utility (less track) with visual of actual vehicles available for choice into the UI.o_O Easy right?