"To V-Sync or not to V-Sync?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 15, 2020.

?

V-Sync as a serious sim-racer.......

1. Yes, it looks better

29.4%
  2. Of course not; there could be lag

70.6%
  1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Once I read a post here in this forum from someone saying: "well, I'm getting older; I need every fps I can get".
    In my mind, it meant; more fps is better steering.

I just yesterday bought another VGA card, tested it, went from medium/high 60 fps up to full 100 fps.
    I do have the feeling, I can place the car a bit better although that could just be wishful thinking. Or; I was paying so much attention to how everything looked and my framerate; I wasn't going al that fast :)

Anyway; I never drove with v-sync on as I could clearly see there was lag in my steering wheel.
    Now, however; I do not see any lag.........
    And I can't get it clear what feels better in terms of "placing the car".

You guys, as die-hard gamers, as guys who know everything about this stuff; what's best?
    What do you "pro's" do? Is it common or is it just a no-no as self-respecting sim-racer?

Because I'm going to copy that and tell my wife it's my invention ;)

2. Comante

Comante Registered

If your new card is way faster than the old, probably it can better cope with the 60 Hz of your monitor. But it is a pity to chain that beauty to a 60 Hz monitor... tell your wife you need a 144 Hz one. They have never been so cheap.

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

The best option is to cap your game max fps... under your monitor refresh rate... something like 58 with your monitor.

The main purpose of V-sync is to avoid 'screen tearing' which happen when your fps goes above the screen refresh rate... by capping your games, you avoid this issue.
    At the cost of respond time but it's most likely negligible unless you intend to compete on the pro scene... and even then.

Here an interesting vid on the subject:

4. Comante

Comante Registered

AMD owner, but usually options in red have a counterpart in green.
    Yesterday made some test with the recently added functionality of lag reduction and some kind of adaptive sync. I actually discovered to enjoy more this functionality over fps cap in RF2. Image quality seems better , image seems smoother and driving is actually easier. I realized I played the game very blurry for years.
    So, maybe give modern sync tools a go.
    (Old style monitor sync seemed always wrong to me , can't describe why or how).

5. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

i always have vsync on because 55" screen, the bigger the screen the more tearing is noticeable

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Vsync off in game with nVidia's Fast Sync enabled in the nVidia control panel.

Highlandwalker and Comante like this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

Out of 4 years I play rf2 first 3 years I played with Vsync off.
    Can't remember if the reason was input lag or its impact on fps.
    Last year I had enough of the microstuttering typical for rf2 at least on my system.
    I lowered the settings even more, lowered resolution (!!) and turned Vsync on.
    The immersion I get from smooth animation is much bigger than the possible input lag. If the lag is present at all because I can't feel it.
    I got used to lower resolution quickly but I never got used to microstutters.
    Btw I never had to use vsync for AC or AMS.

avenger82 likes this.
  8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

This video is worth watching, it may help explain vsync and fps relationship and possible stuttering. Watch whole video for clarity.

9. Stefan Wirth

Stefan Wirth Registered

Video sync from rF2 config is the best option if the monitor doesnt support G-sync or Freesnyc. It results in the smoothest experience compared to any other sync or framerate limit combination.

Filip likes this.
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

I've played V-sync Off for a lot of time... how much time wasted, now with AMD adaptive sync I have a solid image quality even on a 60Hz monitor. It make driving easier, or so it seems, before it was a blurry mess, and I always thought it was due to 60Hz. ....

11. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I run a 1080TI with a 32" 60hz 4k monitor and fast sync selected in the nvidia control panel and no vsync in game. Fast sync only works correctly if your frame rate is higher than your refresh of your monitor. I normally get 90+ FPS so fast sync works great for me, I've tried all the other vsync settings and there all too much of hit on FPS. If any body is getting FPS higher than the refresh rate of there monitor I would recommend using fast sync if they have nvidia cards. AMDs version of Fast Sync is called Enhanced Sync.

Comante likes this.
  12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I play in 75HZ 1080p, I have 75 FPS more than 95% of the time (all 100% ultra, but without rain for performance reasons) :

The VSYNC of nvidia (nvidia control panel) is activated, and I am extremely satisfied with the flow. Really smooth is very pleasant.
    So on this aspect I highly recommend VSYNC.

On the other hand on the input delay aspect, in principle we should not recommend it.
    But I use the tutorial here, and even at the level of input lag/input delay, it seems very good to me.
    I blocked the FPS at 74.958 FPS.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....lay-while-maintaining-perfect-fluidity.61352/

13. Simonk

Simonk Registered

I have to use vsync, otherwise I get screen tearing. I’ve found adaptive sync using Nvidia Profiler works best for me. It causes the screen to tear rather than stutter when things get a little heavy for the GPU which isn’t very often but it’s easier to drive when it happens