eX Zero

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeraArg, Dec 8, 2020.

1. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    pkelly and atomed like this.
  2. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

I don´t like this fake stuff. Rfactor 2 should be about simulation of real cars... otherwise it will be another Wipeout with futuristic spaceships.

R.Noctua likes this.
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

Rf2 is full of fantasy content with a resemblance of reality,think all modded content. This is honest plausible real car. Today cars exist in simulation before a single screw is bought.

4. traind

traind Registered

Lol, it is the exact same back and forth in the iRacing forums right now over the Dallara01.

"No fake cars!"
    "This car is not real but it could be and it is designed as if it was real with regard to physics!"

Really, just take the two posts above, replicate and alternate for 20 pages and you have the Dallara debate. So we can save time here and say " buy it only if it sounds good to you"

Well, of course it doesn't sound good since its electric, lol. But buy it if 1000hp will entertain you! :)

5. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Simulation of real cars...seems a bit ironic in a way.

It's a great car to drive, far more challenging than a GT3 car could ever hope to be.

Ayrton de Lima likes this.
  6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Simulating a simulated car... INCEPTION!

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If a car is only in a simulation, it's not really simulated anymore, is it? It's the genuine article... can't say the data is wrong.

Most realistic car in rF2? Check!

Filip, lagg and Comante like this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

I think this car is ideal for e-sports or just online competitions , but the most important thing is that nobody is forced to pay for it, or partecipate in such events.
    Just like endurance is not the can of worm of everyone (and nobody complain that so much content is devoted to it)

9. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

"Today abstraction is no longer that of the map , the double, the mirror, or the concept.
    Simulation is no longer that of a territory, a referential being, or a substance. It is the generation by models of a real without origin or reality: a hyperreal."

So s397 and iracing are pulling a Baudillard here

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

How 'fake' is the car? Mike Rockenfeller has been VW's Team Electric using various electric cars to set records at Pikes Peak Hillclimb. This may be a 'proof of concept' type program with everything 'based' upon existing technology. Remember that Red Bull concept of a Le Man's prototype? That was truly a reach past the current tech, this is not so much a giant leap as a 'what if' we put this battery with these motors, had this amount of downforce/ drag etc. What would we have?
    Then on the rF2 side, they get some income to work on systems not yet in the sim? I am not too interested in the project as a sim racer, but anything that advances rF2....gets, at least, my approval.

11. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

e-cars in simulations, not my world!

juanchioooo likes this.
  12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

13. lagg

lagg Registered

This car seems interesting to drive and finally we have something different.
    This car is difficult to understand for many lovers of the cars but it's a new market and we will be there in a short future.
    It seems that S397 has taken advantage here and this can be a good movement.
    Thank you S397

14. Pyney

Pyney Registered

I've surprised myself I'm enjoying this new car, quite hard getting use to 2 gears , tyres seem to get very hot any advice on this ? Any suggestions on tyre pressures.
    I know it's a sim but I dont like the wiper arm blocking my view lol can this be moved ? Good to see more DLC from the developers

15. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

it's too much for my ears.

16. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Still no match for this :D

Korva7, dylbie and lagg like this.
  17. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Admittedly the wiper is annoying and without rain tires pretty much useless.

Tire spin is easy on this mod, I run a 40F/60R dif setting at least in that range. Under the Suspension tab I set springs/dampers to median levels and fine tune after. Its a decent baseline but I always spend a few hours tuning to each track.

It almost doesn't need 2 speeds, one actually works pretty well. If the Motor Braking torque had been modeled to current technology AC Asynchronous rather than a PM Synchronous it would be far more driveable as the braking and regen levels are significantly higher at lower speeds.

Try setting 1st gear to 120 MPH, 2nd gear to 240 MPH and test lap times just leaving it in 2nd gear. You may be surprised at the lap times, and find the tires run much cooler. Being a two footed driver I've had to cheat a bit by using both brake and throttle to manage threshold braking. Brakes run a bit hot after a lap or two of that.

A good electric motor doesn't need gears, it can provide the same power output over a very wide powerband.

I've been playing with eMotors in DevMode for quite a while now using the physics worksheet. It helps to have ten years of experience developing Diesel-Electric drives to know realistic power capabilities. With Regen/Motor Braking levels set to the same slopes we had in real life the throttle becomes uber-sensitive yet within a dozen laps one begins to become accustomed to it. And thats when the fun really begins.

As for the motor modeling I haven't figured out how eliminate the need to idle so its hidden by idling at 250 RPM. Past physics worksheets like V 0.33 had some note references that disappeared in V0.35, but no matter what I've used it only works with a "hidden idle". Would love to see some instructions from S397 on this. Using the 917 as one of the test mules it's become one of the most fun cars I've driven so far.

18. Pyney

Pyney Registered

John , thank you for the setup tips , I'm useless with that so I will give it a try, let us know if you have any better settings, what tyre pressures are you running

19. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Well, I try not to use spaceships. That´s the first step.

RF2 is only full of fantasy if you want... otherwise it could be a realistic simulator/good simulator. That´s nothing ironic about that.
    Now cars like the "Ex Zero" are more on the fantasy side of things yes.
    Some people might love the spaceships on Wipeout game, racing at 1500 kmh. I prefer cars from the real world, simulated the best way possible.
    "Ex zero" is not one of them.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's also not a Wipeout spaceship.

Chief Wiggum is doing a "70s F1 mod", based on real 70s F1 cars, but not modelling any of them. Is that less fantasy than this?

Hey, I do get the lack of enthusiasm and interest from most people, on several fronts. But if a car handles in a plausible fashion, at plausible speeds, I don't know that we can reject it just because it's not real. Fictional tracks could be seen in the same light - they aren't representations of anything real, but they function in the same manner. Some people don't like using them because they aren't real, but they aren't unrealistic (excluding the extreme fantasy ones, perhaps more prevalent in rF1).

atomed likes this.