Post your RF2 car skins here.

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by DJCruicky, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Hocician

Hocician Registered

2. bears

bears Registered

Hocician likes this.
  3. bears

bears Registered

Yeah I have copped that also try not to take it personally it says more about the person and also 397’s lack of focus on offline elements of the game than the quality of your work.

There is really only three ways to share a skin, virtual ride which I don’t like as lots of factors can make it not work ( and you end up getting the one star rating) a manual mas install and an update package.

this game needs more skinners and more people sharing them unfortunately some people don’t respect the work it takes to produce a skin and are quick to criticise

muzikant, Bostrom and Hocician like this.
  4. Hocician

Hocician Registered

i wanna make the Kyalami Bentley too... maybe you can help me than to create a "Kyalami Pack" like your Bathurst pack...

zxd1997 and bears like this.
  5. bears

bears Registered

I will pm you maybe we can collaborate?

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  6. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Great skins, but I'm afraid they do not work because the veh file is missing from the mas file, this file is required. I've created a mas file that works, here's a zip file with the files and mas file so you can see what is required. I've installed this and it works OK. Hope it will be of help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  7. Stevy

Stevy Registered

So where do we get such a .veh file from?
    Please tell us what we have to do so other can use the skins without problems :D

8. bears

bears Registered

Guys here is my process it’s a quick version as I am on the bus to work ;-)

I open up the mas file from the latest version of the car you are skinning it’s the file in the most recent folder it should have veh files dds files and an upgrade ini file in it. It’s the only one you can open usually as 397 encrypt the others

I take the any veh file for the car I am skinning and place it in a folder I usually name this folder build but the name is not important it’s just a place to collect the files.

I then rename the veh file this is important as duplicate veh names are ignored by the game so you car won’t show if you keep the same name. I use race_yy_nn eg B12_19_25 you then can open the veh file in text editor and change driver names class categories etc the most important is to change the skin file reference at the top make it the name of your skin I use the same name convention for skin as veh file. I like this way of skinning because it allows you to set up categories and classes. I would also change the description to match your skin. You can look at my mas files for examples

Then spend countless hours making your skin :) once ready add the skin dds and the other dds you have to the build folder with the veh file in it and create the mas file this file needs to be placed into the most recent folder of the car you are skinning. The only messy part is if 397 updates the car you need to move the mas to the new most recent folder. I give the mas file a meaningful name so you can search for it if required or when you look at it you know what it is this is important when you have a few mas files in the one folder :)

Tools you need is only the rf2 mas tool you can find it in the rf2 install, sorry I am not near my pc so I can tell you the location. You use this tool to extract the veh file originally and to pack the final skin mas.

hope this helps a little, please pm if you have any questions I am happy to help if I can :)

Bostrom likes this.
  9. Stevy

Stevy Registered

first of all thank you @bears for that
    But tbh I'm not really happy that
    a)
    You have to do all of this to get a "simple" skin working for others
    and
    b)
    That this is nowhere to be found in the user guide.
    It looks like a skin doesn't work properly without a .veh file but nothing like this is mentioned there.
    So if you don't ask you will never know why you get kicked or other people can't see yours.

10. bears

bears Registered

Stevy I have only described one way to do skins there is three I know of in total check out my post here for my take on each

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....f2-car-skins-here.33862/page-157#post-1021118

I think 397 have fixed the issue where an update breaks a packaged release my quick testing has been positive but I am not totally convinced yet.

Virtual rides are the obvious easy way to skin they just have a couple of issues which annoy me especially if you want to release a skin pack for single skins they are fine.

regarding doco I have never really looked at it most I have worked out through trial and error or from advice here.

If you want to release single skins and don’t want to classes to work then virtual ride is probably the way to go they are reasonably straight forward once you do a couple. If you have any questions post them here or pm me if you like.

this game needs all the skinners it can find and yours look pretty good they would be a great addition ;-)

11. Hocician

Hocician Registered

sdfg8 02-14-22-49.png
    it was meant to be ready before the race start... but as always... needs more time than thougt! a little preview

Reiche, Bostrom, gt911 and 7 others like this.
  12. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Rogger, billyblaze, Bostrom and 5 others like this.
  13. Hocician

Hocician Registered

14. Hocician

Hocician Registered

rFactor2 2020-12-13 02-17-45-96.png rFactor2 2020-12-13 02-24-44-93.png
    Thanks for the Support guys! Will upload it today when No. 8 is finished too...

15. bears

bears Registered

Bostrom, MiguelVallejo and gt911 like this.
  16. Stevy

Stevy Registered

It's done (at least for now)
    But now comes the hardest part.
    How tf do I share it?
    There are several ways and every way has it own flaws and problems :rolleyes:
    (Expect a link in the next 1 or 2 days) 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

muzikant, atomed, Rogger and 12 others like this.
  17. bears

bears Registered

Bostrom likes this.
  18. bears

bears Registered

Continuing the ELMS theme...
    GRAB_001.jpg

GRAB_000.jpg

atomed, Rogger, billyblaze and 9 others like this.
  19. Hocician

Hocician Registered

Both Bentleys (No:7 and No:8) of the 9h Race at Kyalami 2020 ara available for download at: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/m-sport-bentley-kyalami-9h-2020.37811/

image-01.jpg rFactor2-2020-12-13-02-17-45-96kl.png rFactor2-2020-12-13-15-10-12-98kl.png
    Here in the screenshot you can see the wire of the template - in the downloadfile this is corrected, of course! ;-)

as allways, is there any failure in the downloadable file, it doesnt work as it should - please contact me...i will add two other versions to the download with VEH File and so on when i have read in...

Norman K., Reiche, Rogger and 13 others like this.
  20. Stevy

Stevy Registered