"Waiting for server" - All cars invisible in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Timothy Goya, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

So out of the blue whenever I join a server I don't see anybody's cars and when I tap 'Race' I get the message "Waiting for server...". I can drive around alone on track until I'm disconnected.

I don't recall doing anything to the game as I've only done some livery work and offline practice for a league race this week. On Saturday, I competed in a league race without any problems.

I tried to troubleshoot by joining different servers but the same pattern is happening here. I join, see the cars loading and for one or two seconds cars synchronize but are frozen in time - until they disappear again. Sometimes a few vehicles are just stuck in their pitboxes, but they are not on track for me when they should be.

When I look at the standings I see people completing laps. My teammates didn't see me either.

In network settings, I am running cable with 256 kbps. I have cabled internet directly plugged into a router - which I have already restarted alongside my modem. Never had network issues before. Naturally, every other multiplayer game seems to be working.

I've only had this issue once in the past. And this was when I had increased upstream and downstream - and the problem was limited to the scope of one server. Decreasing back to 256kbps solved the issue for me at the time. This was months ago. I'm stuck at 256 kbps now and going down to 128 kbps is ludicrous and doesn't help. Neither does going up to 1 Mbps up- and downstream or so help.

After verifying game files and re-installing Steam mods, I felt like I was forced to do a clean reinstall because I was lost. Which I did. I uninstalled rF2 and deleted what was left via bash. I reinstalled the game and redownloaded all content. I joined a multiplayer server and saw a static car in the pits. But the driver was visibly completing laps in the standings.

A different public server was running some AI's and I could see those. But there weren't any players so I couldn't compare. Just seems odd to me.

Does anybody know any other solutions I can try? Would be very welcome as I have a league race coming up I wish to compete in.

2. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

Here is a trace file.

Attached Files:

3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

We have a member who had what sounds like the same issue a while back. Not very regular any more but I'll message him and see if I can find out what he did to fix.

4. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

Lovely. Would be very welcome. Still troubleshooting!

5. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

So I thought that maybe the issue was built related and downgraded to 1121. Yesterday, I had the same problem occur on 1121 (the server the issue initially occurred on was on build 1121). I tried on multiple 1121 servers at the time to confirm the issue wasn't only occurring on one server.

Just now, I was reproducing the problem on 1122. I went back to 1121 to verify and the problem was gone. To make sure it was actually a build problem, I switched back to 1122 and connected to the same server only to find out the problem fixed itself... I went back to the league practice server and the problem is "fixed". Find the trace file below.

I don't like issues appearing to fix themselves as they usually never do in coding! Fingers crossed the issue doesn't pop back up on race-day.

If anybody wants to have a look at the trace files for the future, please do so.

Attached Files:

6. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

So the issue has returned. Same symptoms. Changing versions does not fix the problem like it appeared to do last time.

7. Timothy Goya

Timothy Goya Registered

I had the problem on multiple servers again. It briefly showed all the cars and people driving on the server until they became invisible and I kept getting "waiting for server".

I went back to the game a day later only to see the problem hadn't disappeared. What I tried this time was unplugging my modem and that was what fixed the problem for now. However, unplugging my modem wasn't necessary last time. So this is one of the things people can try if they face this rare issue.

Note that I had no problems whatsoever with other software or multiplayer games which I was able to play at the time without problems.

If the problem returns I will try this solution again.

8. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

My brother has had this problem for a few months. The only way to correct the problem is to restart the modem. Other online games work perfectly without restarting the modem.

Timothy Goya likes this.