FPS at SPA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eraserhead70, Dec 5, 2020.

1. eraserhead70

eraserhead70 Registered

Hi,
    i have a problem with fps at spa:
    with the spark the fps are always above 60, with the GT3 these drop, in some points, to 30.
    There is a solution ?
    thanks.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

What are your pc specs?

3. eraserhead70

eraserhead70 Registered

Radeon r9 280x, i5 4690k, 16 gb
    thanks

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Two reasons for this:
    1) The Spark being an Open Cockpit car means there's less Cockpit to render on the screen, you'll find most if not all Open Wheelers are better with the FPS than Tin Tops for this reason.
    2) The Spark was made many years ago and generally is far less detailed than the GT3 cars which were created much more recently. Add in different Models of GT3s and you have to Render more different Cars on screen at once, plus a more highly detailed cockpit than what would be in the Spark.

pkelly and Filip like this.
  5. eraserhead70

eraserhead70 Registered

Ok,
    therefore no solution.
    thanks

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sorry forgot to add the Solution would be to lower the Details when choosing the GT3 cars, things like Visible Vehicles and Player Detail for example @eraserhead70

7. eraserhead70

eraserhead70 Registered

Ok, thanks

8. David Short

David Short Registered

I'm sure MarcG meant to say lower Opponent detail and another thing you can try that should hopefully get you a couple more fps's in all situations is in your rFactor 2 files

Userdata>Player>Player.JSON

Graphics section look for

"Load Opponent Cockpits" set that to false. It turns off all gauges and Leds for opponent AI cars.

Also if you're not picky which GT3's you race against select only the ones that don't have the onboard rearview camera's.

Not sure how much fps's improvement you'll see but worth a try.
    Cheers

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just set examples, there's a multitude of settings you can reduce that will help, Player Detail being one of them.

David Short likes this.
  10. David Short

David Short Registered

Sorry to speak for you Marc no offence intended.

MarcG likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

None taken :)

David Short likes this.
  12. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Try not using the ferrari, i lose lots of frames if i include the ferrari gt3 or gte. What is strange though, is if i use ONLY ferraris, fps are fine. But if i use other gt cars AND the ferrari there is a noticable drop in fps. It is especially noticable at the nurburgring.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Ferrari's use a separate amount of vram compared to the other cars due to PBR shaders. So using the Ferrari, you double if not triple the amount of VRAM consumed by a set of shaders for the regular cars and a set for the Ferrari. So, by themselves, you are not impacting fps beyond the increased demands of those new shaders. But if you run a mixed field, you MAY be overflowing the VRAM budget your video card has. I saw a drop in fps when using the Ferrari, but not enough to change the driving experience. The OP's video card is rather old, in the gaming world, The examples I found online only had 3gb of VRAM. So running cars that consume more VRAM, on the latest tracks which also eat VRAM at higher levels, is surely causing windows to buffer the Vram and swap out parts. That will cause low fps and micro pauses as each swap is made. The general recommendation here has been, for successful CONTINUED enjoyment of rF2 is to have a MINIMUM of 6gb and the preferred minimum of 8gb.

14. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

My card has 6gb, 1660 Super, i am impressed with how well it handles games. But sometimes wish i had stepped up a notch to an 8 gb card. Maybe in the near future.

davehenrie likes this.