Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

To record in MSI Afterburner (see image at the link). In the graph, right click and select "properties". Then on the "Monitoring" tab you can enter "hardware polling period" (I use 100ms). Also set the file path (add .csv as the file extension to open with excel or open office). Also select what parameters you wish to log.

https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2017/10/RX-Vega-Afterburner-OC.jpg

Then when you want to log to file just right click in the graph area and select "Log History To File". Afterwards, stop logging and you can view the data in Excel.

From the graphs you have shown both the CPU and GPU are showing less than 100% but your fps is still up and down. With neither maxed out it should be steady at whatever frame rate you set in the player.json file. Either that or because of the polling period of the hardware the graphs are not showing the whole story. Or possibly a result of using Steam VR which is why I binned in for OpenComposite.

2. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

You're welcome Yoeri.

I had a look at the CSV file and noticed the following:

1. GPU% Never at 100%, initially around 90% and then settles between 70-80% for the remainder
    2. VRam, just under 7GB all the way through
    3. System RAM, initially peaked at 16GB ( I assume this is all you have installed), settled down to around 13.5GB
    4. CPU Usage, generally relatively low but just like mine you have lots of spikes on a number of cores up to 100%
    5. FPS not recorded. Did you click the tick box in afterburner?

So my takeaways would be it's the CPU which is holding you back. So best to remove any background services that you can do without. I use my PC just for gaming so for me that's easier to do than say someone who uses it for other tasks. You could try setting your process priority for the RFactor processes to RealTime. If that causes trouble on your system then go for High Priority. My system is also over clocked. not sure if that is an option for you?

Not sure what you can do in RFactor2 to limit CPU usage. Number of cars running will be an obvious one but no doubt there will be other settings that can help. Maybe some plugins you can disable?

System RAM, I suspect that this probably won't be an issue even though it maxed out initially. Something to be mindful of though.

I use Libre Office to view the CSV files, it's free if you don't have access to MS Office.

4. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

@Craig Waddell
    Thanks for digging through this.

FPS was ticked, so I'm surprised it's not in the CSV.

I contacted the firm that assembled my PC when I bought it about overclocking when I upgraded to the 2070. They said it couldn't be done, unfortunately. I'm stuck with it. I've already trimmed down startup and services a bit, just from the app descriptions. I hope the next time I go online it widens the bottleneck a little. I don't usually drive with AI, so having that load off the CPU would be nice. I'm just still a little surprised the drops occured with online competitors as well.

I'll have to give RealTime priority a try.

Can't use OpenComposite, unfortunately, as it seems it does not support Vive. I haven't come across a different alternative yet.

Craig Waddell likes this.
  5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Possibly a replacement CPU off eBay may be a possibility. Something with a higher clock speed.

If you want I'll try and post the spreadsheet graphs on an image hosting site. Either that or you can connect on Facebook messenger and I'll send them that way.

6. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to check them out through image hosting.

I've upgraded my PC in the past year (prior to considering VR, though) and replaced the GPU since it didn't meet the Vive's minimum specs. I'm not presently looking to replace more parts as the affair has already been quite the investment. :D

Thanks again, Craig!

7. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Also, is there a way to narrow the in-car HUD? I find that I have to turn my head close to 60 degrees to read messages on the left or check the LCD on the right.

8. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

OK, Graphs attached in pdf format, zipped up. Managed to get the FPS graph too.
    https://gofile.io/d/Orlk8S

CPU Core 8 is by far the busiest, If you consider that your CPU is running at 4400-4500 Mhz and we are only sampling data at 10hz there will be lots of spikes we aren't seeing on the graph. I'm actually surprised that you are having issues with a CPU running with this clock speed, can only assume that it needs optimising in terms of what you have running in the background.

I've not got my data to hand but it it wasn't that dissimilar. After using "Realtime" process priority my GPU occupancy rate went up near to 95% and my FPS became a whole lot more stable. Normally sitting at 80fps.

Regarding the HUD. Can't answer that one unfortunately as I don't use the HUD. I have Crew Chief running instead which passes me a lot of information.

9. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I found that selecting a narrow aspect ratio in the launcher helps bring the hud closer to the center.

10. J0E

J0E Registered

It's possible to take an existing HUD, open it in DevMode, move stuff around and save your customized hud. I did this because I didn't like where things were located in VR. I only moved the MFD around since I use that but not any of the HUDs.

Yoeri Gijsen likes this.
  11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

easiest way to have the hud overlays closer to center, is to select non widescreen hud. you still have to turn your head a tiny but not nearly as much. the mfd is basically in the passenger side foot space, and messages just left to the left side mirror in left side driving cars (the proper side :p)
    cheers!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Yoeri Gijsen likes this.
  12. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i found a useful thing (if you are oculus user) for users that suffer from fogging up the hmd.
    the problem with fogging is that the hmd has to be hotter than your face to not fog up.
    i had serious fogging issue this week when i took part in 2x30 minutes race.
    1st race was ok, but when i took the hmd off to wipe my face (and to take a leak :D) between the sessions, after i put it back on, the hmd had cooled down a bit, and my face was still steming hot, right from the start of the 2nd race my hmd fogged up bad. i was between cars and just hoped i wont ruin anyones race for not seeing him.

solution, or remedy more likely is to bypass the proximity sensor in the hmd. then it doesnt turn of the screens and stays bit warmer if you take it off.
    this setting is found in the oculus debug tool.
    also, before you start to game, open oculus software 15-20 minutes before you put it on, so it's not "dead cold" (it warms up alittle just for having the oculus software running) when you start to play.
    cheers!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

If the problem is that the elements of the HUD are too far, you can reduce your resolution.
    This only affect to yhe UI and the HUD. You'll have the same resolution when you're driving.

Yoeri Gijsen and Kelju_K like this.
  14. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Thanks for everything, Craig! I'll look some more at my background processes.

15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

yeah i use 1600x900. always had since i got in to vr, because the ui was way too "in my face". with that non widescreen hud and lowered res its good.

lagg likes this.
  16. Carr

Carr Registered

Is there a post that summarizes this thread?

The first post hasn't been edited in years and with there being 122 pages, it makes it near impossible to find helpful information.

Reiche and pilAUTO like this.
  17. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

one thing that i do almost every day is to put a very small amount of liquid soap or shaving cream on the lenses and rub it off very gently with a napkin... what those products do is they help humidity to condensate into liquid instead of fogging the lenses over a big area.

it usually lasts for one or two days working 100%.

18. J0E

J0E Registered

I asked this in the Steam Workshop, but I'll try here, too, just to be irritatingly redundant. Does the CPU usage meter (ctrl c) work in VR? I've been using the VRHud from the workshop. In flat screen, it appears in the upper right. In VR I can't find it. Where does it normally appear in other HUDs in VR?

19. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

it does not.

20. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

And FPSvr ?