I find some cars too easy to drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JPS 79, Dec 4, 2020.

1. JPS 79

JPS 79 Registered

I'm relatively new to serious simulators and I only started to drive in rFactor 2 this week because of having compability issues. I have only played Arcade games before and not until December of 2019 did I start driving a certain Simulator and taking all of this very seriously.

I don't consider myself a very good driver. I'm almost always in last place while racing against real people when it comes to pure qualifying pace alone and there are certainly cars that bite you, especially in the rain which I love driving around in, but some cars feel absurdly easy for what they are. It's to the point of me thinking that somehow it enabled some assists without me noticing. It did that to the steering help once and I couldn't steer the car, but when I checked they were all off. I also started suspecting that the rain bugged out and started drying up since the raindrops seemed to stop when they weren't supposed to.

I only drive vintage cars so I did some laps in the vintage Formula 3 because I thought that it would be good for someone new, especially in the rain. It felt too passive and there was practically no wheelspin or oversteer.

This was my best lap of the session. A 1:51.0 around Bridgehampton with eight to nine celsius colder and windy rain weather. It being a modded circuit could of course have something to do with all of this.

I also drove the car that is based on the Lola T70 or some old Chevron and that one would bite you if you were really careless. I drove the March 761 too and I forgot to put on rain tyres so I went out on slicks, but it was still so easy to handle and it was almost as easy as the Formula 3 car to control at low speeds. It was like the circuit was dry. If you want to see what happens to 1970's Formula 1 cars with slicks when a shower of rain hits the circuit you should watch the 1978 Austrian Grand Prix at the Österreichring.

I'm not attempting to come off as some cocky idiot stroking my own ego about ''how easy it is'' and I understand all the hard work which goes into developing everything. I absolutely love driving in this Simulator and I don't know how these cars drive in reality so they could behave like this and I'm just clueless, or I'm underdriving the cars massively and nowhere near the limits. I guess I'm just a bit dissapointed in some certain conditions and had to write something.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Some things to consider:
    • The Eve/Spark, Brabham BT20, and Howstons are on treaded tires, as was normal until about 1972.
    • Ambient temperature does not affect tire grip in rF2.

3. JPS 79

JPS 79 Registered

Yes I know. The real racing slicks didn't appear in Formula 1 until 1971.

Emery likes this.
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

All cars are easy to drive until you try to squeeze the last 5% of their potential. Without a reference lap time to judge and compare, you can't know if you are really pushing or just driving around a track making tires squeal.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Beside this rain is not a on/off switch, what matter is how much water is on track.

6. JPS 79

JPS 79 Registered

I mentioned my best laptime from the Formula 3 session in my original post along with my replay video. The Bridgehampton mod is on Steam and it's one of my favourite historical circuits. I'm not very good at braking but I know how to go through corners and I'm okay at accelerating out of corners.

[​IMG]

This is the weather I used for the session.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

I give you a better challenge: lap 2.05 at Silverstone with radical sr3 rsx , full rubbered track , sunny day. I can make 2.05 high only after a lot of trial , another guy scored a 2.04 high , so plenty of margin.

atomed likes this.