Rfactor 2 not responding - no longer launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Michael Havlena, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Michael Havlena

Michael Havlena Registered

Hi guys,
    I recently transferred games folder from an external SSD to a larger external SSD using the Steam tool. typically, this works quite well, but for some strange reason, this time around, the game doesn't launch anymore and gets hung up with the rfactor 2 logo displaying on screen forever and task manager showing that the game is not responding.
    I have verified integrity of the files a few times and I even went through the trouble of re-installing the game from scratch, but still the same problem.
    Any support and or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've run out of ideas.
    Thanks guys!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

UserData\player\all_vehicles.ini

That file contains paths to all the cars you've had installed, I would say make a copy of it and then search-replace in the original so they match your new drive + path.

(another possibility is the Core\data.path file, if it contains an actual path that will also need updating. But I think any recent steam installation will contain only ".\" which just means the parent folder, which is the rF2 install folder)

JimmyT likes this.
  3. Michael Havlena

Thanks so much for the recommendation. i indeed went into the all_vehicles.ini file and had to indeed change all the paths from the previous drive letter to the new...however, unfortunately, still no luck, game still hangs at the Rf2 logo...
    Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again guys!

I can't seem to open the Core\Data.path file to verify whether there migth be any paths that need updating...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

data.path isn't a .txt file, so it won't open automatically. You can open it in notepad or another text editor though, you'll just need to actually open it instead of double-clicking it. But I do think it should just have .\ in it, a long time ago rF2 was able to be installed into separate core and data folders and that file told it where to find the data, but as far as I know all steam installs are a single folder and that file shouldn't have an explicit path in it. Open it to check anyway.

In the all_vehicles, are you sure it was only the drive letter that needed changing? Did the rest of the path stay the same? (usually in C it'll be under Program Files (x86) or similar, most people don't have the same folder on other drives...)

(checking previous such issues, that seems to be the only file that breaks things after a move)

5. Michael Havlena

Thanks again for the follow-up.
    My situation seems to be resolved, but I'm not sure how.
    I think Windows "allow access" permission was holding the game from booting up. My 50th attempt to boot the game, windows finally prompted me with the "allow Access" permission choice Window. Perhaps there is a setting in Windows 10 that would avoid asking for such permission in future?
    I'm not sure whether the changes I made in the all_vehicles folder made a difference or not as I have noticed reference links to various drives from the one that I am using and looking back at my backup files, this was the case previously on the older drive and everything worked fine....
    This is an interesting case for me to follow-up on as we might all face the issue of having to migrate file folders at one point or another.
    Appreciate the support!

JimmyT likes this.
  6. Bastian Paisler

Bastian Paisler Registered

Thank you so much for that. I would never thought of it by myself. works now perfectly on my new 1TB SSD <3