Food for thought: Damage model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PoppySarah, Nov 21, 2020.

1. PoppySarah

PoppySarah Registered

So, I've been into rF2 for a while now, have been very impressed on how fast S397 is turning rF2 into a modern day simulator. I never really had any complaints, and if I had them S397 got them resolved by actually making this a modern day simulator.

There is one thing though, I never have any sim do right before. The damage model. Partially this was due to recources, or computers not being good enough to simulate this. I mean, how many times did I see under beamng video's people wishing that damage model in actual racing simulators. Of course, it makes sense that that would never happen.

Then of course iRacing came along with their video of their WIP damage model. This is what fired up my thoughts again about this subject with a few questions.
    • What would one be able to expect from a 2018 racing simulator damage wise
    • How advanced of a damage model is needed for a modern day sim
    • What would a more advanced damage model mean for rF2
    • What would be the down sides to having a more realistic damage model

Personally I think it will be a very important thing to look into before the competition system is introduced. Definitely if the competition system will have pro like races, where there of course will be live stream for, it will also be a marketing tool. If someone is looking into buying rF2 for example, and he sees people going into the wall, it normally being a race ending crash, and then driving almost the same laptimes as before, trust me, they wont go like "hey that looks good".

I also think it's important for the racing itself. Risk vs reward will be way better.People wouldn't throw massive blocks, or throw their car in every tiny gap they see, because it would actually end their race or damage their car simply. Also street courses would be more challenging as well. When you scrape the wall with the tire, you tend to get a flat one.

Also, because the content rF2 has right now is very endurance base, I think not only wall to car, or car to car contact is a thing that needs improving. Also wear should be a thing. If you go full nuts over sausage kerb every single lap, you'd simply get away with it atm. But if you look irl, there are so many, even sprint races, where it breaks the suspension if they hit them.

DriverJay and Jason PLAdoh like this.
  2. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Yes, indeed, a better damage model and visuals will be very much put in use for a driver like me:p

DriverJay and Lazza like this.
  3. DriverJay

DriverJay Registered

Would be great to see as all the other sims are starting to do great damage models too

4. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

To me there will be a limit to the impact on car brands licence it would have. Some oems might well be reluctant to see their cars wrecked in a popular sim with more and more visibikity through esport events

I would rather have them spending resources to fix some cars behavior and really finalize the physics

And get a simplified more efficient modern UI ala ACC or AMS2

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I 100% agree with the what is written there. It's almost like I wrote it myself...

6. Filip

Filip Registered

:eek::rolleyes:
    Unbelievable

DriverJay and Remco Majoor like this.
  7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yep, more realistic damage model both physically and visually is definately wanted! Please, please, pretty please with cherrys on top!

Elcid43, FORMULAEFAN71 and DriverJay like this.