Suddenly Stutter problems

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by shushkata, Nov 20, 2020.

1. shushkata

shushkata Registered

Hey guys i have a strange one here. I was having no problems so far with the game, running really smooth and all. After the last update i guess i got an error massage saying something like "video settings problem" and game was not able to start. I used the "verify file integrity" and game was fine than. I guess i needed to launch the graphics settings, but anyway, game started and all good.
    Than I saw that the framerate was unlimited, despite i use Vsync and the game was this way so far.
    I managed to return the working state of the Vsync option, but now i get some random stutter. It's less present when driving but when i go to replays, man the game starts to stutter like crasy for some time until it settles. After that the replay is a bit jittery when the camera is panning, but it's 60hz for sure.

I am running and old, heavily overclocked i7 2600 and one GTX 1070. So far the game was perfect. Now even playing with NVidia Inspector i cannot return to the smoothness before. For the record, i play ACC too, and the game is butter smooth there.

Have changed drivers and all to the latest one, just to point out. Tried capping the framerate, different Vsync options and all i can think off, but still, the game is behaving strange...

jazzmega likes this.
  2. jazzmega

jazzmega Registered

3. shushkata

shushkata Registered

It's more frame pacing, it's 100% related to smoothness of the framerate. I will try and capture the problem with my phone and upload it here, will better explain the situation i guess.

jazzmega likes this.
  4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same happened to me. Verified files and since then not smooth anymore.

jazzmega likes this.
  5. shushkata

shushkata Registered

Here is a video, i don't think you can catch the fine stutter in gameplay, it's really subtile. But see how the replay starts with massive freezes, and it need some time to settle down. After that it's running OK but it's micro stuttering.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

Video is private.

7. shushkata

shushkata Registered

Public now, my bad.

I just bought the SPA Dlc and here the gameplay is smooth but the replays are terrible. It just freezes for a moment, than resumes. Will capture that, as it is very evident.

Here it is:

I made some test, with unlocked framerate i get between 70 and 90 fps when watching the replays. Most of the time i am at 80. So the system can handle my 60hz monitor with no problems.

BTW what is the difference between Vsync GPU and VIDEO ? in settings.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  8. shushkata

shushkata Registered

Ok i have invested too much time into this matter and not into racing, so i think it's better to share my findings, to whomever they matter.

Setup:
    i7 2600 / GTX 1070. Can it keep a steady 60fps: Yes
    What is tested and what are the results:
    1. I invested some time in researching Fast Sync, as a good compromise for LAG / TEAR. This option does not work with Rfactor. Running a 60hz display results in massive stutter, yes indeed there is no tearing but it's unplayable this way.
    2. No Vsync at all, with unlimited FPS in the player.json file and locked 60fps in Nvidia control panel: LAG is minimal, frames are steady but it is tearing a lot. It's playable, but it's not a smooth experience.
    3. Now to the more traditional Vsync. The only option that works is to have the Nvidia Panel set to: Application controlled, and use the Vsync Video option ingame. I prefer not to cap the framerate in the game. Somehow capping does not improve much. For the time being i have tested with Max Framerate set to 60 in the Nvidia Panel, and set to "0" in the json file. Game is very smooth while driving. Replays are a mess. Additionally there is a bug at this moment, where replays are not Vsynced.
    4. Turning off ingame Vsync and forcing the Nvidia Control panel to do it, does not result in a smooth gemaplay. So not an option.

Something changed in the past week. I cannot understand what, can it be the "God Rays Addition" or the new UI somehow influencing the game smoothness ? It will be great if the Devs take a look into it.

9. Nplus1

Nplus1 Registered

I think I have a similar (but more serious) problem related to the replays.
    Up to recently I was able to run the game at 60 FPS pretty stable, but lately, since I've been playing on Spa, I noticed some micro stutter might appear during gameplay.
    The interesting thing is that if I watch the replay just after these micro stutters appear the FPS is really bad (in the 40 FPS in all parts or the track with any number of cars visible). Stranger still, when I resume gameplay after the replay the FPS drops during the live race also to ~45 max and it never goes above that. Viewing the replay again and then resuming gameplay again makes the FPS drops even more, to 25-29 and it never goes above that level.
    In the resource chart the CPU usage is at around 30% all the time, but the GPU bar has many spikes on it. Restarting the weekend fixes the issue until the next stuttering appears which gets increasingly worse if I'm also viewing replays.
    I have never seen this behavior before and in my testing on Le Mans and Nürburgring GP I can't reproduce the issue. Everything starts with micro stutters in gameplay and it gets worse and worse with the viewing of replays, but these micro stutters seem to appear only on Spa.

10. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I use Fast Sync on all my games without any problems, it's the only one that doesn't kill the FPS, all the other settings I loose in the region of 20-30 FPS. I am using the old UI and the god rays is having no adverse affect on performance for me. I have a 1080TI card which has 11gb of memory and when I checked, Spa was using all 11gb of the memory. That was with 40 AI cars, with less AI memory usage may not be so high. I think your 1070 has 8gb so you may be running out of memory, I have noticed recently that RF2 seems to be using more vram recently with the newer tracks especially, even mod tracks. ACC only seems use about 8gb of vram. It might be worth trying the old UI if your using the new one to see if it make any difference. I'll be sticking with the old UI until I'm forced to use the new one.