Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Mauro

Mauro Registered

the new ui is click and play

..... in the opposite sense :)
    double time for everything

nolive721 and juanchioooo like this.
  2. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

Click on things, and nothing happens you mean? I've already rolled back to the old UI again, at the pace they've been going at, maybe it'll finally work as a nice birthday present for me when I turn 70 (2024) :D

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Registered

Needs some tunning for 3440x1440.

F400E683-FFB2-440C-B5D8-2C076FE57245.jpeg

4. justposted

justposted Registered

I always use the new UI which, as somebody who never used the old one and doesn't do anything complicated, works fine. I select a track, car and opponents, choose some settings like time of day, and race. No significant issues.

The latest update seems to not have any flickering anymore, which is good, though it still hangs randomly (then recovers after maybe 30s) when I start typing in a track name.

Being able to see how many AI are on a multiplayer server is nice. It still fails to install content when I join most servers, however, and frustratingly I seem to have to quit the game when it fails. Otherwise it carries on trying to install the failed content even if I go into a single player race. Once I see that it wants to download a load of content for a server I also can't make it stop, so have to force quit via Task Manager.

5. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

When the New UI was added, I tried it a bit, i missed things (some of those I still miss), and decided to return to the old one. Since summer, move on again to the New UI and I still on it. It's nice to look at, it has good things, some to improve, but definitely, it's not any drama and, guys, we have to know how to adapt and stop complaining about everything. Some people seem to complain because they enjoy doing it.

In any case, I insist that there are things to add, remove or improve.
    . For example:
    - Add virtual throttle and brake pedals on the replay/live view. And if it's possible, add them to the in-game UI.
    - Improved vehicle labels, not exactly as ugly as they were before.
    - The exit game button needs to be on all main UI screens. Having to click Start isn't intuitive and is annoying.
    - Pausing the UI cause it's updating the favourite servers is something we don't need.
    - To join a server, I think more information about cars and tracks you need to join would be necessary. Maybe a little pop-up window when the mouse cursor is quiet on the description.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    DJCruicky, Gupster, mixer61 and 5 others like this.
  6. McFlex

McFlex Registered

+1 on that. Also important for league admins

mixer61, Remco Majoor and Adam Helyes like this.
  7. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Is it possible to assign a track specific custom car setup to the AI with the new UI? I can’t see an AI Setup button like there is in the old UI. Sorry if this has already been discussed. 53 pages is to much to trawl through.

8. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Like a broken record, I'll repeat my main gripes about the new UI:

- blurry fonts at 4K
    - blinding white backgrounds, especially in a low lit room. A dark theme would be nice
    - Animations (fade in/out, slide) makes the UI slower than it should. Please give the option to disable all animations.
    - horizontal scrolling is horrible in any UI
    - sections are divided in a way that they are difficult to identify and use muscle memory to operate the UI fast. This (combined with slow animations) makes the new UI slower to operate than old UI
    - would be nice if back mouse button went to the previous screen

Other than that, the new UI has potential. But please make good usability a priority !

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  9. Magus

Magus Registered

Is anyone using the new UI in VR? I am using it via SteamVR/WMR on HP Reverb and going on the enw SPa, if I look to me left I can see a feint black line the creates a rectangle up and above me. It appears to be the outline that I can only describe as the cinema screen of a UI. Can someone confirm if it is just me, just SteamVR, or just steamvr/wmr combo.

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  10. David Short

David Short Registered

Glad to hear its not just me I'm using open composite happens on all tracks my details below
    Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1122 Now Available!

• Added new VR flat desktop mirror. Please note this is only available in the new UI on the public_beta branch.
    This new feature seems to add a black line in the shape of a square outlining I'm assuming the desktop mirror when I'm driving in VR. I usually set my resolution to 1176 x 664 so that in VR the UI is perfect size to see and navigate so the black lines are very visible to the left, right and above when driving. Tried full screen 1920 x 1080 and they are still there but obviously farther out to the left, right and above. Its not happening in the old UI so I'm assuming this is the cause. I've been using new UI for months now so don't want to revert back, But obviously will as driving in VR with a black square outline on screen defeats the joy of VR.

Is anyone else seeing this black square outline?? Im using open-composite(and don't want to revert to steam VR for obvious reasons)
    Can the VR flat desktop mirror be turned off in any .Json file for a work around??

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Pauli Partanen and Magus like this.
  11. Magus

Magus Registered

David Short likes this.
  12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I decided to try the beta UI with the latest build, and as Spa was being released. It's the first time I've tried it.

Boy, there are still enormous problems with it, that I found in less than 5 uses of it.

First, I got a CTD when viewing a replay of Spa, within the original session (drag slider back in time, viewing fullscreen). App completely hung/froze but was able to get back to desktop, at which point the app crashed completely.

Next, at any time viewing replays, the replay will either skip backwards or completely freeze for up to 5 seconds. The replays skip backwards even with the old UI but never does it completely freeze.Its much much worse on new UI.

When normal driving, there are far more stutters in new UI than under old UI.

For the UI itself, there are issues with selecting the graphics settings. My native screen res is 1920 x 1200. UI shows as 1920 x 1080. I go to make the change, if flashes and asks if I want to reverse, say no. Setting says 1200. Switch to another tab on settings, back to graphics, and we're back to 1080 again.

When selecting opponents, this should work like the old UI; you are selecting a class. Select GTE, puts a list of GTE cars and liveries in as you would expect. Select 'all', and it puts in a list of every DRIVER in the list, not cars. BTW, selecting GTE, there's no way to know what you have selected, or even if ctrl-click will work to multi select.

In short, with only this limited testing, its a long long long way away from primetime or being usable for online competitions even if they add those features.

My hardware is a non-overclocked but watercooled i5-9600K and nVidia RTX2070, fully up to date on drivers etc. That's 6 threads on 6 cores, which should be enough even with the UI itself on a separate thread. A single screen 1920 x 1200 should be no problem for that graphics card. 16Gb ram and 8Gb video ram, nothing else running, Windows 10 Home, hardware accelerated GPU scheduling selected.

Alessio Feletto and Rui Santos like this.
  13. Racecraft

Racecraft Registered

This is probably a niche criticism, but the race results do not show the total race time in the Beta UI.
    To me this is a useful metric.

Rui Santos, Emery and Remco Majoor like this.
  14. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I have noticed a few issues since switching to the new UI. First there doesn't seem to be a way to find out what lap of the race you are viewing in the replay. Also there seems to be a discontinuity between the difficulty settings in the main settings page and the session settings page. Changing one set of settings doesn't immediately update the other settings. After going back to the settings after a race they are then almost the same, except the main setting are normally 1% out on all three variables.
    The main gameplay feature that I miss was the option to set difficulty setting for a particular car/track combo. This was useful in compensating for variable AI performance on different tracks with different cars.

15. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Hope I'm not just being a complainer here, but my major complaints are:
    •Missing grid for the gear ratios. This was literally the BEST part of the old UI in the setup menu.
    •Originally it was stated the flickering issues were fixed. It's really bad now. I have to close my eyes between menu switches
    •The showroom is broken. The car won't render at all. This is really a must-fix.

A couple of things I'd like to see tweaked:
    The add-AI feature is buried pretty deep. It's easier in the old UI. Also, what's the point of having the beautiful car thumbnails if it isn't implemented in the add-AI, where it would be most useful? Just my two cents.
    Wishful thinking: The setup menus could use some work. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but the original menu is one of the best of any sim, compared to the cancers that are AC and AMS2 setup menus. If we're going to change the setup UI, why not add function rather than form? Let the sim work as a virtual engineer and make recommendations based on driving performance. Formula 1 drivers aren't sitting in the garage with a wrench and adjusting the bump and rebound on the car. Data is being collected and setups are adjusted based on tire temperatures, performance and driver feedback. A modern sim could reflect this.

Flatspotter, dazzer and Rui Santos like this.
  16. pascom

pascom Registered

Why is it so long in the new UI? What needs to be done to improve this?

17. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Menu v-sync dont work in new verison UI. :(

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

People here don't complaint just because they want, this is another level of simracers, not an AC forum and you seem to be very recent here so don't start talking of something you don't know anything about, unless you've read all those bilion posts to reach that conclusion...

There are problems in the new UI, if it's not a drama, fine for you, for lots of people it's not there yet, which is understandable and i'm sure S397 guys know that...

19. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

It seems that you feel alluded and offended by my message. It's your problem.
    Or maybe you want to teach me something? Surely you can teach me about AC and its forums, since I have not used that simulator in my life and of course neither its forums.

First of all you say that I look "recent" in the forum, that does not mean that I am recent in the simulator, in which I have been 3 years, plus another 8 that I have been using rF1. Just as you have the freedom to say whatever you want, I say and write what I want, regardless of how long I've been here. And after reading tons of messages from the thread, yes, there are a lot of people who complain pointlessly and for the sole purpose of spouting shit on the thread, maybe it's just some of the rF2 haters who have time to come here to bother.

I totally agree to give our feedback on the things that can be improved in the UI, in fact in my message you can see that I list some. What seems useless to me is the people who come to say "The UI is garbage" without giving any argument.

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  20. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Tried searching but no luck... I have been using the new UI for a while now and did not realize you can map buttons for engine braking. But, can you not map them in the new UI?

Thanks