Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Uff

Uff Registered

I finally decided to switch to the new UI. Clean, I like it. I've been used to the old one since F1 2001 by ISI, so it really wasn't a problem for me, but it could definitely improve.
    I find the new one to be a little less defined, just like when you run a lower resolution on a monitor whose native res is higher. I haven't had any freeze or lockup so far, it only took a while to load after clicking on the Start button after navigating through the different menus. The same happened when looking for favorite servers. I'm looking forward to it further developments.

2. Stefan Wirth

Stefan Wirth Registered

Before I tryed out the new UI after the beta update 1122, first I did a Steam RF2 file verification (all ok) and restarted the PC.

Results

All points listed in the Chagelog are working well but besides that, this is what I found out:

Run
    -Option "configure rfactor gragics" is not loading. Running "rf Config" in BIN64 it loads but not showing same options than in UI and giving an error trying to load post efects Language empty,...
    -The game load to UI is taking very long from schortcut and from steam option (with high end PC $ SSD > 75s)

Settings
    -After entering to the "settings" (at the top right side of the user name) and turning back to the main screen, it takes to much time and only a white screen is shown.
    -After repeating this 2 or 3 times the transition improved

Packages
    -Uninstalling Mods is taking to long (longer than old UI)
    -Not able to select multiple files as in old UI (still not implemented)

Replay
    -Tryed to replay e.g. "GT Challenge VIR Split6 R2.Vcr" and oder replays... the screen stucks on "loading replay, please wait. Getting out only possible over win task manager
    -During the loading, if alt tab some times it shows the previous UI screen but no

Showroom (Hangar)
    -Loading a car the fist time takes very long, the next times loading (the same car) is better.
    -In showroom V-Sinc from general graphic options not working (graphic card working at full all the time...)

Servers
    -Filter options are not being saved (still not implemented, I hope one day...)

I hope that all this is still known and already in the pipeline for the final switch to the new UI

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

I've been using the new UI for quite a while now. I've observed over the months how it slowly got better, the flickering was nearly gone, it's very pleasing to the eye, and it was a pleasant, modern experience. Until this evening that is: it is now broken for me, the mouse doesn't work properly any more. I can see it moving around, but you can't click on anything. Tried three different mice, no luck. It's now broken and totally unusable.
    I've had to revert to the old UI, that is such a long time ago I've almost forgotten how to use it.
    Oh yeah, as a bonus, the mouse doesn't work in the new mirror desktop either: a good idea, if it actually worked at all. Looks great, but it's inoperable, you can't click on anything.
    Please do some more beta testing before you switch to the new UI permanently, the latest version is a disaster.

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Make it full screen for those who use ultrawide monitors (there are MANY)!!

Despite that no race settings, no inputs in replay, no laptimes... too early to change unfortunately...

TJones and McFlex like this.
  5. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

Tried full screen, borderless and windowed. No change. I've been forced to go back to using the Stone Age UI: looks dreadful, but at least it works

6. lagg

lagg Registered

Try configuring this three parameters in the player.json with these values.
    "Active Sleep Time":-1,
    "Inactive Sleep Time":-1,
    "Pause If Focus Lost":false,

Good luck

7. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

Morbo likes this.
  8. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

ok, to tonight I gave the new UI another chance.... unfortunately had some serous performance issue with my VR headset.

I load up Nords with the porche cup car (my performance bench in rf2); immediately going in to the pits the visuals start to flicker.
    I try to do a race this way but the frame dips where so severe that make me crash in to the walls; making the game unplayable and the VR experience bad (makes me dizzy).
    To discard it was not a placebo effect I switch back to the old UI, same car same track and the performance was smooth (as i'm use to in rFactor2).

There is some kind of performance penalty using the new UI.

Just for reference I'm using oculus rift CV1 on a GTX 1070.

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I have ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) and the replays in the new UI only display in 1920x1080... :D

That didn't happened before when i've tried it...

Cirrari likes this.
  10. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

hi,
    same for me, in live on the serveur when you click on the screen icon stay in 1920x1080
    in the settings multiview click????

11. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

3x27"

12. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

I switched to the new UI with the new build yesterday, 11/18/20.
    Unfortunately, the local items cannot be deleted or installed in packages.
    The buttons cannot be selected.
    The new ETCC-Mod installs itself every time when rF2 is started, although it is already installed?
    Go back to the old Ui.

Rui Santos, McFlex and Mauro like this.
  13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Some "bugs" i found...

The idea of filtering the folders which contain specific car setups is great. But when saving a setup it would be good that the circuit we're using is automatically selected to save it, instead of trying to find the folder of the track we're using...

In the showroom, with the Flat6 mod, instead of rotating the room with the mouse, what rotates is the car, spinning around with a static showroom...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

After 15+ years of complex program development enough has changed in the computing environment that developers reach out for platform restructuring. Suddenly all those random lines of code (the original "patch") that may have been inserted in the wrong module; sure the code works but other modules may need that module, and that can work fine so long as the platform structure maintains the right order of operations. I would expect the code to be pretty well remarked, but also developed in a small house. It is what it is. And it does an excellent job at what its supposed to do. Now anyway.

I've kept my distance from the beta, but went ahead and tried it. Spent about an hour in Learn & Test mode.
    My observations:
    1. New UI takes a little time to navigate
    2. Presentation functions like view layouts (grid, linear etc.) have been added but no new real functions
    3. Load times are way longer on a top tier PC
    4. To get to ModDev, requires one to reach around their backside to grab their wanker
    I am 100% pleased with the efforts and progress the new UI, although I am among those reluctant to switch over.

Among the more seasoned users, particularly those rooted in rF1, access to ModDev is a dealmaker. Seasoned users are probably the most vital test group to have.

Maybe it's worth allowing a "dual boot" approach where the user can select which instance (Standard or Beta).

Hazi and juanchioooo like this.
  15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

clearly the vast majority of users would throw away the new interface

Grey likes this.
  16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This is simply false. The majority isn't on this forum. There have been people who are really against it, but they will always be the loudest and make it seem a lot of people think like that. There are lots of people to who don't really mind it, or who actually think it is better in a lot of ways too.

MarcG, Spyro, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  17. rand777

rand777 Registered

I prefer the old UI still as well. It took a while to figure out how to use it, but it works reasonably efficiently. The new UI looks like it was created without consulting any human machine interface designers. I'm a developer myself and have seen these types of interface disasters before. It would have been better to simply refactor and improve the existing interface.

juanchioooo and Hazi like this.
  18. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I agree with what Remco says, not everyone wants to throw away the new interface, it is true that the new interface has details and things that are somewhat annoying, but it is not something complex either, in 5 minutes you adapt and that's it .

Remco Majoor, pkelly and nonamenow like this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the new interface has been a disaster, compared to the old one, it is used by four cats ... if you think that many people use it, you don't believe it

I wish it were wonderful, but it is light years away from being like this:confused::(:(:(

rand777 and Mauro like this.
  20. Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers Registered

Update 18.11.2020: it's still broken..