New triples

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Pablo11, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

Searching for new triple monitors and is very confusing can't decide which way to go.
    Also I will be upgrading my pc to 5600x and new nvidia 3080 or 6800 cards.

First should I go 2k or stay 1080p?
    Second does curved works fine with rfactor 2? I'm thinking Asus Tuf 27 curved monitors or should I go flat?
    The last one if I go flat should I better go IPs? I see some are reasonable priced now with good specs

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you mean 4k? 2k basically is 1080p. Or maybe you mean 1440p?

Everything is a compromise, so ultimately you need to work out what all those are and then decide your preference. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Resolution you can check with your current screen by setting FOV to something close to realistic and then adjusting the screen distance so the effective pixel pitch matches whatever screens you're thinking of, at the distance you're thinking of for them.

That raises the question of screen distance and angles. Usually with triples you want to go correct FOV, and be able to see much more than with a single screen, so that means quite angled side screens and not too distant. I run 27" triples at around 65-70cm distance from my eyes, which is nearly uncomfortably close and does show the low effective resolution (1080p). I also have cheap TN panels, their only strength is 1ms response time, so sitting that close you can see colour shift and fade in the corners. Do I notice any of that while driving? No.

I do notice the images stepping across the screens (whether on the centre screen when turning sharp corners, or the side screens when driving anywhere) and if I were to buy screens right now I'd very strongly consider 144Hz. At the time I bought mine the higher refresh rates and especially g-sync were 3-4x more expensive and I couldn't justify it.

Curved screens: you'll never buy screens with enough curve to make the whole thing a single curve (unless you compromise on FOV and/or vision), plus the more curve the more you warp perspective on each screen. The standard slight curve might help reduce colour shift without making too noticeable a compromise on perspective.

IPS will help with colour but they tend to have slower response times. For driving you're more likely to notice the slow response than the colours.

Higher resolution means more pixels, means lower FPS. This can be a personal preference thing, as I said 1080p is definitely a low resolution with close screens but is only really noticeable for me if I'm looking for it.

Whatever screens you get, ignore any of the fancy effects like auto contrast or sharpening/smoothing because you need to turn them all off - they add latency.

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I'm also about to buy a triple screen setup.
    The best choice to me, all things consider, is the AOC 24g2u... IPS, fast, 1080p.

Some insight on my choice:
    - going 24 instead of 27 because I can get the same quality (pixel density) as a 27 1440p... but with better performance.
    - the lost in available viewing angle is fairly marginal... and again, better performance is a must.
    - I can always adjust my screen distance.
    - triple 24inch with a 60degree angle is already very big.
    - Va panels are too slow for me... great contrast tough. But I still have a preference for flat and faster IPS.
    - don't like the distortion that come with the curves of VA.

4. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

Thank you guys. Yes im thinking of playing in 2k but not sure of performance with rfactor which is my first sim. I have notice some fast ips monitors for reasonable price. Was looking at curved screen also but after reading about distortion i rather go with flat one. Wasnt expecting this to be so hard to decide