Zandvoort - Track limits

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lenniepen, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Hi,

I have some basic knowledge of how to setup track limits in the AIW-editor, mainly how to correct weird behaviour, such as Cut Track warnings in places where it shouldn't give you one because you lost a large amount of time.
    I've noticed these same 'errors' in the Zandvoort track limits. For instance, I received a Cut Track when I left the track at high speed and crossed this service road. I received the warning immediately when crossing this road, so I had not yet re-entered the main track.
    [​IMG]

The problem lies in the small side roads, where the Track limits follow the asphalt (I assume automatically generated). Here are the Track Limit lines for this particular section, when viewed in the AIW-editor:
    [​IMG]

Because the cyan Track Limit lines extend across the service road, rF2 detects that I've re-entered the track, still at high speed, so therefore giving me a Cut Track.
    Adding to that, I could get a Cut Track, even when slowly crossing the Track Limits lines in these circumstances. I think this is because you 'cross' the Track Limits at a weird angle. Let's take a look at the next image:
    [​IMG]
    Normally, when you re-enter the Track Limit border, you gradually come onto the track, and cross the Track Limit lines at the end of those line, at a shallow angle (blue arrow).
    But in the case of this service road (red arrow), you cross the Track Limit line at a weird place (not at the end of the line), and almost perpendicular to the line. In some cases (on other tracks) this could give you multiple Cut Track warnings in one instance.

To solve the issue, the Track Limit lines should be adjusted to follow the main track, like these pink lines:
    [​IMG]

Or, for tracks like Zandvoort (with many gravel traps, and therefore no possibility to gain time outside of the track limits), I would suggest to extend the Track Limit lines to the edge of the racetrack (barrier / tyre wall / etc.), and to only set the Track Limits tight in places where you could gain time by leaving the track, to avoid such issues with Cut Tracks warnings when leaving the track while NOT gaining an advantage.

Zandvoort has the Track Limits setup extented for every service road, so potentially you could get a Cut Track warning when leaving the track and crossing these side roads.

BTW: I'm not aware of such problems on other S397-tracks, but I've seen this same issue on multiple user made tracks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Andrew Hollom and atomed like this.
  2. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Is there a way to now if this has been noted / picked up by the devs?

3. lagg

lagg Registered

No, unless they said that it's noted.