Strugling with pitlights ( in - out)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Normark, Nov 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Normark

Normark Registered

Hey
    Maybe someone could help :)
    Like in the old Rf1 days I struggle a bit with pitlights.
    I have the animation cycle, but the new way of getting lights to glow (after IBL materials) is giving me some problems. The light when ob is just pure white with only a very diffuse bit of the colour.
    I know yhis is not very specific, so if anyone have a tutorial it would be nice.
    I haven´t been able to find much in the modding dokumentation, (only the animation secuence) but if I have overlooked something I apologyse.

2. Brent

Brent Registered

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Normark You can also check the Pitout Light of the DevMode Loch Drummond Track.

4. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks for replys.
    I think you are right Brent, it could be nice if wee could have an easyer way to get these lights working. As I have mentioned earlyer I think 90 % of all Rfactor1 tracks used the same ISI lights because it was difficult to make your own, and then there was a plugin for 3D max where you could import at light and keep it for all the tracks you made. :)
    I had read the info under the development documentation about startlights, but they don´t mention anything about the "glow", and I can see in Lock D., that there is also a glowmaterial, which seem to be a targa file that is not inside the maps folder. Maybe it is in a "common.mas" file, but that seem to be encrypted so you can´t open it with the MAS2 utility.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Generally speaking, we do not use glow objects with start & pit lights too often anymore.
    You can use DashboardElementShader with full white emissive color. Then this light material glows in the dark by itself.
    Separate glow material or objects are not required.

You can make your own light textures. There is no magic about them. Naming of these textures need to be correct (like grlt00, grlt01 etc.), that is all. Then you can use them same way as our light textures with your tracks.

All animation sequences, texture names etc. are exactly the same than before. The shader is just bit different. ;)

What comes to the "Asset library", you can make one fully functional set of start and pit lights and save them as separate max scene. Then just merge this scene to the track's max scene when needed, move them to correct location, export and populate the assets in track's SCN file.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  6. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks JKA
    I will try again, I´m glad to hear that you don´t use glow objects anymore, that is also what I remenber I have read, the new IBL materials can do the glow in a more correct way and don´t need "help" from glow objects.
    I hope to make a working set with the right light and glow amount, then their owerall look can be altered to fit different tracks.

7. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks again JKA, I got it to work, I´m pretty happy right now :)

Jka likes this.