rFactor 2 Online Tools by Chris “redapg”

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slow Motion, Oct 11, 2016.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Hello Jozo70.
    Thank you for the kind Words.
    The Conversion Tool (red Button) converts the rF1 Physics Files into basic rF2 Physics Files, that the Car can be driven in rF2.
    And the whole Process is selfexplanatory.
    You only have to upload unedited rF1 Files and make some other Steps, for that you get Information during the Conversion Process.

The other Part of a Conversion from rF1 to rF2 is the Conversion of the Meshes (gmt), for that you can find some Text Instructions and Videos here in the Forum and elsewhere in the Internet.
    Maybe you also can find a kind of Step by Step Tutorial for the whole Process.

And if you get stuck with something, you always can get help from the Community, here in the Forum.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I've been doing some basic conversion tests and all cars I convert come out VERY rigid. Is this the fault of the source material or just something I haven't done in the conversion?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

What exactly do you mean?

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The chassis will just be like 4 wheels are attached and there is not suspension movement or body roll.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

In that Case you should check the whole Suspension Values, like Springs, Dampers, Anti Roll Bars, Travel....
    All these Values remain untouched from the Conversion Tool.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This what appears in the setup screen.... this is the minimum all the suspension values go, seems bit tight/stiff for a 1980s F1?
    upload_2020-11-14_18-16-46.png

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Do you have any real Data from that Car?
    For Example, the S397 Mc Laren MP4/8 from 1993, that should have real Data, has these min. Values:
    Front ARB: 20 N/mm
    Rear ARB: 3.6 N/mm
    Front Spring: 126 N/mm
    Rear Spring: 126 N/mm
    Compared with these Values, i would say that it seems to be very stiff, but it's hard to judge without real Data.
    And how much Travel does the Front and Rear Suspension have?
    If it has much too less Travel, you also can have an Effect of a stiff Suspension.
    If that seems to be OK, try it out with a lower min. Value for the ARB and Springs on both Axles and test if that changes something.
    BTW How does the Car behave in rF1?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Woodee 600N/mm springs are extremely stiff, yes. But what does the rF1 mod say/do? The tool can't fix unrealistic values.

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Lazza Didn't you read my Post?
    I ask, because you write and ask the same Things that i did write and ask already?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, you asked how the car behaved in rF1. I asked specifically if the values are different, or those are the same. It sounded like you were asking about realism more than whether it matched the rF1 mod. No biggie.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This is what the car sees in rF1. Drivable in rF1.

upload_2020-11-15_13-1-31.png

This is what the conversion sees in rF2. Way too stiff in rF2, no grip. Unsure how to change the units in rF1 to match rF2.

upload_2020-11-15_13-2-3.png

12. redapg

redapg Registered

I was just curious, because i often see People posting the same Thing that another User had posted already and i was wondering, if they maybe don't see all Posts.

From the Screenshots, the Spring and ARB Values look the same.
    And such Values don't get changed by the Conversion Tool.
    I don't know which rF1 Mod that is, but i have seen a lot of rF1 Mods, that have Physics that did work in rF1, but don't work properly in rF2, for different Reasons.
    And a lot of rF1 Mods have Physics that have been copied incompletely from other Mods or that are pure Fantasy or have a wrong Format or are corrupted because of other Things.
    And it is impossible to judge such Things by only looking at some Screenshots from the Setup Screens.
    You have to find out where a Problem could be, by using the Trace Files and Changing some Values and Test, Test, Test.... :)
    There can be a lot of possible Reasons for such a Behaviour.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I was just querying why the car just felt so stiff. There is clearly something with the suspension make up that doesn't work in rF2.

I have tried with a 1950s mod which had interesting suspension setups. One mod had the rear wheels detached when brought into rF2... the other had no drive to the rear wheels so it's obvious that some things just don't work in the conversion even if they did in rF1.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

One Problem is, that in rF1 you could easily use different Axle Constructions, like stiff rear Axles for Front Wheel driven Cars for Example.
    The Conversion Tool uses the Formulas from the S397 Physics Spreadsheet, made by @Michael Borda , that is made for double Wishbone Suspension at both Axles.
    I already have included a kind of Fix in the Conversion Tool Script, that changes such stiff Axles into double Wishbone Axles.
    But there are too many Ways that are used in the rF1 PM Files to define such Axles, that it is impossible to detect all of them.
    So if Wheels get detached or are not driven, there definitly is something "wrong" in the Suspension Geometry, that can not be converted by the Tool.
    You have to do it manually then or you have to define double Wishbone Axles in the PM File, before you start the Conversion.
    You also can use the auto generated Chassis.ini, that gets created for each Car in the DevMode (load the Car with the PM File linked in the HDV).
    But that Chassis.ini is no flex Chassis.ini with a front and rear Subbody .

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

will try the PM method and see what changes.

16. redapg

redapg Registered

Just an Information:
    Because the Support for the Flash Player ends soon, i will replace all Charts that use it, with Javascript based Charts.
    That Procedure will last a While.
    If any Problems appear, please Post here.
    Thank you.
    EDIT
    All Tool Sites that did use a Flash Chart are updated with a Javascript Chart now.
    The Sites are:
    TGM Tiresize Editor / Tireshape Monitor
    Convert a rF1 Engine.ini into rF2 Format
    Change the Power of a rFactor 2 naturally aspirated Engine
    Generate a rFactor 2 Engine.ini (also Turbo)
    Generate Damper Entries for the HDV
    Generate a Slipcurve for the TBC File
    Tire Wear and Grip Modifier
    Get Suspension Data for the rF2 Physics Calculator from a rF1 HDV and PM File

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  17. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

@Woodee I'm not sure if the "stiff suspension" is still an issue. In a conversion I was recently working on, I had an issue of Zero movement. I don't even know how I eventually found it, but the issue in my case was the damage.ini

The damage.ini has these lines:
    FLSuspIns=Debris5 // Instance (used for suspension movement on front-left wheel)
    FLSuspConn=(0.16,0.95) // Connection points for suspension movement (relative to inboard and outboard verts)
    FRSuspIns=Debris7 // Instance (used for suspension movement on front-right wheel)
    FRSuspConn=(0.16,0.95) // Connection points for suspension movement (relative to inboard and outboard verts)
    RLSuspIns=Debris6 // Instance (used for suspension movement on rear-left wheel)
    RLSuspConn=(0.08,0.94) // Connection points for suspension movement (relative to inboard and outboard verts)
    RRSuspIns=Debris8 // Instance (used for suspension movement on rear-right wheel)
    RRSuspConn=(0.08,0.94) // Connection points for suspension movement (relative to inboard and outboard verts)

I had to make sure the the ##SuspIns= matches the instance name within the .gen.

Woodee likes this.
  18. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Hello,

Seems really impressive, I'm searching but fail to find a tutorial that would explain how to create or modify mods but for what I've seen so far, those tools are priceless.

Great job man, thank you.

19. redapg

redapg Registered

You're welcome. :)
    It's always good to see that the Tools get used and can be helpful.

20. redapg

redapg Registered

While creating the new Update for the instant Timing Version of the Nordschleife Layouts, i did notice that there are ExcludeIns=... Entries for the Reflections, in the Track SCN Files now.
    So i have modified the Tool "Generate entries for the rain reflections in the scn files, from instance entries", in that Way, that it now lists all Instances with the Terms IncludeIns and ExcludeIns in 2 separate Columns.

svictor likes this.