NewTrack posible project - Vuelta de Tandil

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by juanarg70, Nov 12, 2020.

1. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Hi guys. This was an important semipermanent circuit in Argentina. I want to build a Longford like track. I made a project in autodesk infrawork for the track, shoulder and daylight. Surface was generated in civil3d with raster images.

Video starts at 0:40

Infrawork can export to FBX and be opened in blender or 3dsimed. All looks great.. a simple design of an horizontal alignement with vertical profile and automatic superelevation. The problem is that the road mesh is not created with de desired mesh density/size.
    [​IMG]
    Could this infrawork exported mesh be optimized in blender, asign texture and pasted into 3dsimed to finally build all the objects for the track .scn? I also have 3ds max 2019

Any suggestion?
    regards

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    atomed and Corti like this.
  2. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Hello guys. I already have the track model into 3ds from civil3d. Whats great of this is I could model roudabouts, chicanes and other parts in civil3d prior to exporting to 3ds. Designing the corridor in civil inserts convenient feature lines that I assume will serve me to install fences, telephone posts and other stuff. Let me know any suggestions

Regards

3. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Hey guys.. the track is going forward. I desist on mmodeling roundabouts and chicanes in civil3d for now.. way too complicated. I will try to model chicanes using feature lines in near future. The track loads into the game session but everything is invisible except for the skyboxi which I grab from another track. This was my process: 1: Model the track in civil 3d. 2)Exported to 3ds via output menu. 3) Imported in 3dsmax with civil view. 4) Separate the track into several objects (editable poly). Surface terrain was grid-divided in civil3d prior to exporting. 4)Exported everything as .obj. 5)Opened the .obj in 3dsimed and exported objects to GMT folder. 6)Re-opened models with 3dsimed and copy/paste materias form joesville and save objects and exported textures to map folder. Attach you find some pics that will help you understant where I am as for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I never applied mesh smooth.. is this mandatory/recomended? Any suggestion is appreciated guys. Lets gets this track in game.

regards.

4. svictor

svictor Registered

The mesh looks good.

For RF2 GMT, it is required to set LOD value for each GMT file/model. If the LOD value is too small, the GMT file will be invisible, even though you can drive on it. You can set LOD value in 3dsmax, 3dsimed, gJED, or SCN file. SCN file is the easier method to adjust LOD (it doesn't change GMT file), some thing like:
    CollTarget=True HATTarget=True LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(1500)

Also for big track (longer than 3-5 km), you have to split the whole track surface to smaller pieces, otherwise there will be a few problems, such as:
    - invisible obstacle everywhere
    - extreme low framerate or bullet-time effect, due to too much real road calculation on a single object.

Also you will need to set 1st garage spot on the track surface, so your car will be placed on the track, instead of in the air.
    One way to do that:
    1. Open track in 3dsimed (or 3dsmax), find a place you want to place car, get coordinates. (in 3dsimed, you can right click a surface mesh and copy XYZ coordinates)

2. Go in-game and save AIW, exit game.
    Note: you may need to set pit spot first, then garage spot (it will only be saved after pit spot is set), then save AIW.

3. Open yourtrack.AIW with notepad, find following section (red text):
    [PITS]
    TeamIndex=0
    PitPos=*******
    PitOri=*******
    GarPos=(0,****,****,****)
    GarOri=******

4. Now, you need to put XYZ coordinates into GarPos, if the coordinates is copied from 3dsimed, Y and Z value also has to be swapped (you may also add a little number to Z value to make sure car is above surface). Example, if coordinates from 3dsimed is (-5464.0, 55.0, 6574,0), it will be GarPos=(0,-5464.0,6574,0,55.5)

5. start RF2 and check if it works, and follow this official AIW guide to setup other spot and stuff: https://www.studio-397.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

5. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Thanks you svictor. Will try this tonight. The racetrack was already divided info 9 objects. I knew they were bigger than optimal but thought it could load onto sessión and make final adjustment later. The terrain si 13*10 km. It's divided into 9 objects. Way too big I supose. I let you know how it goes
    [​IMG]
    Update: We are getting somewhere. Did the AIW trick and now it loads. The car stays frozen.. vibrating. When I press race... it bounces a litle.. but can´t engage firt gear. I will further divide the terrain and racetrack later. Figured out I need at least 50 racetrack surfaces.. and 25 terrains.

In civil 3d I modeled some ditch and other stuff on the side of the road. Seems as 3dsmax simplifies the surface. So I will rebuild it in a more simple way.. since max doesn´t care about what I design in civil hahah
    Regards

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    svictor, atomed and Corti like this.
  6. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Gente, les dejo algunas pics de lo que se esta armando. Lo que estaria bueno conseguir pero la veo dificil, seria los proyectos de las rutas que seguramente hizo vialidad nacional. Si tuviera esos planos copio los vertices, curvas verticales , horizontales y quedaria calcado.
    Arme unas explanadas en las zonas de chicanas para modelarlas mas adelante.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    La S de Don Bosco y la explanada para la chicana del Autoclub.

Corti likes this.
  7. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Guys.. finally it works!

After encountering some issues with terrain on the side of the road I managed to get it working ok. The skyboxi looks black. I get some weird problems of triangulations on the side of the road. In the week I would try to make a basic AIW. And will try to learn how to put basic objects like wire fence and trees. Building chicanes its the obvius next step. Any suggestion on placing objects and modeling chicanes?

The triangulations that are generating some issues on terrain at the side of the road:
    [​IMG]

svictor and Corti like this.
  8. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Hey guys.. Working on the noise parameter of the track. And learning to model chicanes with grading tool in civil 3d. I´m close to finishing with the trackmesh modeling. I manage to get widening in tight corners so now the track has correct dimensions: 7.3 mts wide.

[​IMG]