Why do all cars now have auto-clutch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kondor, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Kondor

Kondor Registered

I've recently noticed that every car with an H-pattern shifter no longer needs the clutch. They even rev-match on downshifts, and I can shift up without ever lifting the throttle.

It's as if I have auto-clutch enabled - But I don't.

The clutch is completely optional - even on old cars like the Honda NSX or Ruf Yellowbird (and these cars certainly didn't feature dog boxes or rev-matching).

I've checked all my in-game settings and the only Difficulty setting I have enabled is "Invulnerability". I distinctly recall this working properly fairly recently. Did an update introduce a bug where every car now has a sequential box?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The game has never required the clutch to engage gears.

As far as blipping the throttle for rear stability on downshifts or lifting on upshifts to avoid over-revving the engine, both can be a little mod dependent but may be helped by auto-blip and auto-lift, which I think are in the player.json.

Some mods set the clutch up to avoid flatshifting, which is the only time the gear won't engage nearly instantly (but the gear number will still show on any displays).

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

This is one of the things i would love to see updated quickley, Drivetrain! AMS 2 has pretty good clutch and gear functions when using manual with no autoclutch. For what I class as one of the most realistic sims in terms of driving feel, this is a must! Hav'nt got time to go back and watch to check but im sure it was mentioned in this interview it is something they are working on:

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

They said that it is on the planning, not that they are already working on it.

5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Hope the planning soon becomes implimentation, i want a good reason to buy a Fanatec shifter, and RF2 with proper drivetrain would be the best reason!

6. amishracing

amishracing Registered

7. Kondor

Kondor Registered

Wow, I am really surprised that rF2 fails to model even basic transmission behavior.

I confirmed the Celica GTO and McLaren M23 can be upshifted instantly without ever lifting (which, even with a dog box, isn't possible) and will happily instantly rev-match on downshifts (again, not a feature on an 1987 GTO car or a 70's F1). I'll poke around the player.json to see if there's something I can do about it.

Seems like only AC,AMS and R3E try to model transmissions like this. Driving a 70's F1 car with automatic rev-matching on downshifts is incredibly unrealistic, and sucks out a lot of the skill required to drive these cars.

Filip and Mauro like this.
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Yes, it's a shame
    You could try to set autoblip and autolift to 0 in player. Json