AI running out of fuel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J7166, Nov 10, 2019.

1. J7166

J7166 Registered

I don't really have answers, fast rolling starts were the only thing I changed and the AI didn't run out of fuel anymore. It's extremely bizzare

2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok think ive got this! So ive just been having this problem at Sebring with the GTE's so I did a quick search and found this thread, have since gone back to Sebring and tested a bit more and I think ive got the answer..... ITS RACE RESTARTS!

I've recently changed my default starts from standing to rolling (like since two days ago) and its now that im finding this problem. If i start the race, skip formation lap (im only using rolling starts because of a TC issue you see) and race till the end everything is fine BUT,,, do a few restarts (we all do it when we're offline right) and I start getting problems. Seems if you restart the race RF2 doesnt reset the fuel and of course with rolling starts even if you skip it, the A.I. car's all already down a lap of fuel before the green light (thats 3 laps plus whatever you completed before restart), so I do a few restart of a 6 lap race around Sebring and by the time I actually get going, two laps in all the A.I. are runing out of fuel voila! Annoing is'nt it, only way to resolve is reload track, imagine that if you're at The Ring, with its loading times! Restart Weekend might sort it without having to reload track but i need to do further testing to find out. Anyway hope this helps!

atomed, J7166 and davehenrie like this.
  3. J7166

J7166 Registered

Awesome thanks mate

Paul McC likes this.
  4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

No worries! Has it worked for you?

5. Melluish

Melluish Registered

I was also getting this with the Flat 6 mod at Sebring. Most of the AI were retiring on lap 1 or 2. Restarting the weekend instead of restarting the race did seem to be better. In the end I also turned off flags because the AI were also crashing all over the shop. I hope the developers do come back and devote some some to offline racing as it's still my preference.

atomed and Hazi like this.
  6. J0E

J0E Registered

I'm resurrecting this because I'm frustrated and can't get no satisfaction. I have an offline series with the Oreca07s at the S397 LeMans2020 track. I've followed the advice in the posts prior to this (no race restarts, full practice and qualifying without finishing session early or even time accel, force AI to use my setup with adequate fuel to do 10 laps, rolling starts, standing starts) and I always have the AI pitting for fuel anywhere from lap 3 to lap 9. When I check the results in LogAnalyzer after the race, I see that the AI started with anywhere between 33 and 82 percent fuel. Fuel usage is set to normal, only black flags observed. It's troubling that all of the AI cars start with a different level of fuel, so it's not like they're all starting at 33 percent. Tonight I did a 10 lap race and I started at the back because I let it run qualifying while I was doing something else. I had moved up from the back to about 20th (of 24 cars), when the leader pitted on lap 3. There were a couple of other AI pits around lap 5. Suddenly I come around to the start/finish line and CrewChief tells me I am P2 with three laps to go. The next thing you know, I'm told the leader is pitting on lap 9. So I win the race because everyone pitted ahead of me. I already have flags turned off because those haven't worked for years. I suspect I now need to turn off fuel usage. It would be nice to have pitting as part of the race. I guess I'll try setting tire wear to x7 and see if that works to force pitting. But right now in a 10 lap race, tire wear, according to LogAnal, is insignificant. Would I have more control if I set up my own local race server for things like this or would I just be trading one nightmare for another?

7. J7166

J7166 Registered

Set up your race to run on "time" not laps. This seems to help minimize the AI running out of fuel. @Audere est facere is someone that may be able to help more than I can though.

8. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Couple of questions, are you letting Practise and Quals complete by themselves, and are you restarting the race at all?
    If you let me know the tracks you are using I can check to see if I have the same issues and the track fuel estimates.

9. J0E

J0E Registered

As I already said (see post that starts with "I am resurrecting...." S397 Oreca07 at S397 LeMans. Let practice and qualifying complete on their own, no race restarts. I changed the race from 10 laps to 30 minutes and all of the AI start at 92% fuel, so that's a significant improvement.

J7166 likes this.
  10. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

AI did not start with 92 %. They did with 100% as the LogAnalyzer starts with the race and NOT the formation lap. So they already lost 8% of fuel due to the formation lap.

As I said, the AI ALWAYS uses full fuel load when a race is set up for "time". No matter if you run 5 min or 45 min ....

When running on laps it should be like that : If the race is longer than the AI can handle with ONE (!!! not two or more) fuel load the AI is taking care for a strategy for pitting once. This is one of the best things the AI is capable of in rf2. Some go in early some late.

As I am testing again some things this WE I will haved a look for those LMPs.

J7166 likes this.
  11. J0E

J0E Registered

The race was a standing start and not a rolling start. However, I think the default for LeMans is the rolling start so maybe it takes that into account even if you choose standing start? A full load of fuel at LeMans is supposed to get 10 laps. So I was expecting no AI pit stops. But I guess if the full_tank=10_laps isn't true for the AI then the AI would be free to compute how much it starts with and how much it adds at a stop. Maybe if I ran 8 or 9 laps, it would be entirely different.

12. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

No. This is all about realism. How does your car get to his starting position in the grid? In RL you need to drive one lap to get there. So this is going into account in rf2. As said it's all about realism.

Again my advise for short races... Run on time, full fuel load and everything is gonna be fine unless the race is on time not to long for one full load.