Standing start help required

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GertjanD, Nov 11, 2020.

1. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Hi, I've justed started some league racing. Could you please advise me on the best way to do a standing start in a GT3 car (e.g. Porsche dlc)? Do I go full revs and then shift to first gear once the lights go out? Or shift to first gear and rev a little and release the breaks when the lights go out? Does it matter whether I have traction control enabled or not? Thanks a lot for your help and hopefull we meet someday in a race :).

2. justposted

justposted Registered

Do you have a clutch pedal? Starts are the only time I use mine. Full clutch and full revs in 1st, then release the clutch slowly enough to avoid excessive wheel spin. I can get up to 100kmph in about 3 seconds in most GT3 cars that way. Some of them take more like 5s if you just floor it in 1st.

Mitch9 likes this.
  3. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Cool does that work if you use auto clutch as well?

4. Comante

Comante Registered

No, with auto clutch you have to find the right throttle input before green lights, and then compensate for rpm drop after auto clutch disengage. Then you have to add throttle to avoid excessive wheel spin.
    In short with auto clutch is harder.

5. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I seem to remember that on the grid with auto clutch enabled up shift to 2nd then back to 1st will temporary disable auto clutch for the start? I maybe wrong now but I’m sure that was the case?

6. justposted

justposted Registered

If you have a clutch pedal then yes, you can use it whenever you want. It will override the auto clutch. That's how I do it - clutch pedal for start, then leave the auto clutch to do its thing for the race itself.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It doesn't override it, it combines with it. If you try back to back you'll find you get a more direct clutch application with auto clutch disabled, and that's the faster way to start. Having auto clutch and then using a clutch pedal feels a bit like playing billiards with a pool noodle.

If that worked, the car would immediately stall. I'm not ruling out you remembering something, but I don't think that was it.

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You can also map a button for TC override, which overrides traction Control, that helps a whole bunch, when it works though, seems to be a bit hit and miss

9. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Yeah I did miss out the part where you have to engage your own clutch pedal :oops:

What’s really annoying is my rigs in bits so I can’t go and check it. Give me a month or so and I’ll get back to you :D

10. justposted

justposted Registered

Ha! Nice simile. I'll start using that myself.

Your response intrigued me though. I've done a bunch of trial starts in the Bentley GT3 2020 because that is one of the hardest cars to manage if you just drop into first gear using auto-clutch (AC).

I confess that I'm not the best at starts (or indeed at the rest of the race, when it comes to that) but I found the experiment interesting. With careful throttle management I can be roughly as fast using AC only, as I am when using manual clutch with or without AC. It is easy to get it slightly wrong and lose a second or so in the race to 100km/h though. When using manual clutch I couldn't feel or see any difference with AC on or off, but either way it is easier to be consistent than when using AC only.

Somewhat satisfyingly, I did find that I couldn't get much better than 4s with any of the arrangements. So I wondered what the official number was. According to the first source I found it should be 3.8s, so that's a nice parallel between the game and real life. Maybe I'm not so bad at starts after all.

This seemed like a good opportunity to practice my novice video editing skills, so I have uploaded a video here. If anybody has any tips for me (and therefore hopefully helping the OP too) then feel free to comment.