Modern Era Hybrid F1 Cars

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Craig Waddell, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Does anyone know of a 2020 or at least modern era F1 car with hybrid technology and halo that's any good?

I've tried one off the steam workshop and whilst I applaud the efforts of its creator, for me the sound and physics just aren't up to scratch.

If you look at the quality of the stock McLaren F1 car then it's epic, a real handful. In Assetto Corsa I use the lastest Race Sim Studio F1 cars and they are amazing. RSS keep talking about doing rfactor2 content but unfortunately it never seems to happen.

Is anyone else interested in modern day F1 for rfactor2?

Image if S397 and RSS actively worked together to bring the RSS content to rfactor2, that would be great. All chargeable of course! That being said I've no idea what would be involved if trying to take an Assetto Corsa car model and port it into rfactor2.

2. Stevy

Stevy Registered

rFactor2 has no Hybrid Simulation.
    It's always just one engine with more power to get matching laptimes I guess.

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

That's a really good point you make. I'm not sure how it's achieved in Assetto Corsa, that game was released about the same time as RF2 which was obviously pre-hybrid era. Possibly AC has been updated to support.

4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

AC has proper hybrid simulation. Same as iRacing.
    With hybrid you have sometimes a temporary 4WD (see LMP1)
    I'm not sure atm how a F1 works, but I think it works like a boost, so still RWD all the time.

rf2 doesn't do that. It's always just one engine. Same with the Formula E stuff which is just a engine with "electric motor" specs.
    Also rf2 has no temporary 4WD. The 4WD is also quit poor implemented if you aks me (no 2 seperated diffs for example)

5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks for the detail, so it looks like we won't be getting anything any time soon. It's a shame as RF2 is my favourite Sim and without a doubt the newer content from S397 is definitely moving things forward.

6. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The dev said they will implement hybrid if official content will need it.
    Also no official or generic LMP1 because it's dying and being replaced soon.
    The best chance for a hybrid will be perhaps the new Le Mans hypercars.

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

AC needed to support it because they offered lisenced content using that technology. And while hybrids are a thing in AC there are a few limitations in how the system is handled, especialy distance wise. When developing a sim restricted by budgets it doesn't make much sense to develop technology if your content doesn't need it as programming software is pretty expensive. There were discussions in the past about a modern lisenced F1 car for rF2, but that never came to fruition and would be obsolete by now - the tech ofcourse not. Our best bet are indeed the new Le Mans hypercars or the next generation of DPi cars that'll use hybrid technology aswell. In the mean time I would rather see clutch and drive train technology improved, because that's something that affects basicly every current and future car in the sim.

8. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Totally in the development time and cost. I'm not sure how many rfactor2 users are yearning for modern F1 content but the demand would have to be significant to make the investment in time and effort worthwhile.

9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Frankly, I'm not convinced the FIA has a "Modern Era" Hybrid F1 in a way.
    Drop half a second on a lap to charge battery to gain a full second on the following lap. Other than that its all in the power curve and fuel consumption. Takes code amendments that aren't worth developing for the few who would use it at this juncture.

If you look around you can find the ASR F1 2019 mod. Its an "outlaw" mod but IMO has the best match for speed and segment times to the modern F1 cars. Fully adjustable gear ratio's to boot.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

It seems that everything different to GTs isn't worth it.

11. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Well to be fair if S397 think that the bulk of income comes from GT content then I suppose I can't blame them. The latest GT cars are fantastic and the latest track updates to go with them are too.

I for one would look an F1 update but unless they see demand it's never going to happen.

12. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

There hybrid technology is more about technology development for mainstream motoring whilst adding an extra strategy dynamic into the equation. Definitely not fuel saving and eco friendly.

I've got loads of ASR content which generally is really good. Haven't seen their 2019 car, will have to investigate.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would suspect that licensing issues would also discourage any involvement by S397. Codies pays a-lot of money to be the exclusive F1 sim provider. S397 could produce a mythical class that uses hybrid tech, but would have to ensure it did not function in the same manner as the licensed content from Codemasters. I see them far more interested in endurance racing and the only hope there would be new code to support hypercars. Although several of those are NOT hybrid based

Craig Waddell likes this.
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

I wasn't talking about S397. It seems that most people only wants GTs and we can see the same type of cars in almost every modern sim.
    S397 takes profit of the moment, it's logical.
    It's difficult that S397 makes a modern F1, because of licenses.
    I've told several times in this forum. I'd like that S397 make a Hybrid car with oppened physics and modders would have a base to make a modern F1.
    @Craig Waddell , the creator of the ASR F1 2019 is not ASR Formula.

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think the problem with lisencing modern F1 cars is that you basicly would have 1 or two cars from one season without the option to lisence more cars from the same season. In that regard I have to say that I still don't understand why S397 didn't lisence the 919 or TS050. Yes, the class is dying but those cars are relevant for the cars that we allready have in the sim. If we were living in a perfect world S397 would have lisenced the 2018 or 2019 LMP1 cars, or atleast the cars that were used most and offered it as an LMP1 pack with some BPOing. There would me noone asking if the cars make sense to lisence and rF2 would offer some cars that you don't find anywhere else with hybrid tech being supported. Now we have stuff like the Senna, wich is propably alot more questionable in the grand scheme of things than a TS050. And in a few years time people would propably fire up the sim just to be able to drive those cars, same as people have found memories of the GT1 cars in GTR2, a class that died aswell.

atomed likes this.
  16. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

17. Oskart

Oskart Registered

Further from hybrid engine, I think handling is more important than the engine, for example, Formula Ultimate in AMS is great to drive and has no mixture or boost mapping even is not licensed, but it's a great car, I'd pay for a reiza open wheels pack even if the clutch doesnt work properly in rfactor 2

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Don't encourage them mate :p

19. elec86

elec86 Registered

i'm looking for a code or plugins to be able to look like by pressing a button on the steering wheel :
    the load of a boat with a possible reading on a gage value of 0 to 48v