Sync setting in Video setup screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GertjanD, Nov 8, 2020.

1. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Hi all,
    I am wondering about the best option in the video setup screen for sync settings. There are four options available: none, software, GPU, video. I use a nvidia 2700 super card and I have a samsung 49 inch with freesync (works good with Nvidia). Your help is much appreciated!

2. stonec

stonec Registered

All of the sync settings introduce latency, as your GPU has to buffer frames to keep at steady sync FPS. GPU and software sync behave particularly oddly, I don't recommend using those, only video sync seems to work consistently. If you have a G-Sync/FreeSync compatible monitor, the best option with the lowest latency is to always enable that from GPU control panel.

GertjanD likes this.
  3. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Thanks very much. I do enable it via the gpu control panel but what setting would you then recommend in the game launcher video settings menu, the video option?

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I would set RFactor sync=none
    Then in player.json set maxframerate at a value your system can handle in 90% of situation, be it 144, 120 or whatever.
    In this way Rfactor will pour out all the frames he can and at the same time do not exceed monitor capacity to show them all to you.

GertjanD likes this.
  5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Your screen is 144hz... make sure you set it in windows (or nvidia control panel) to actually run at 144hz, it's only 60 by defaut even when your screen is capable of more. (you'll be surprise the number of people that forget to do it...)

Then like Comante said, cap the game, a few frame below your screen refresh rate to avoid 'screen tearing'... for example 142fps cap, in your case, or in a range that fit your average frame rate.

You can also use river tuner (msi afterburner) for every game that doesn't allow to cap fps.

GertjanD likes this.