How do you setup for Le Mans and Nordschleife?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcus Battaglia, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Marcus Battaglia

Marcus Battaglia Registered

So I have recently decided to try rFactor 2. I have been playing around with Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 for a while (before I played around with Project Cars 2 a little), then moved to ACC and now decided to try our rFactor.

Thanks to the Halloween sale, I was able to buy many packs - track pack for Sebring, Le Mans, Nordschleife and Monaco, the Endurance and GT 3 car packs as well. On top of that, I have added a lot of free cars and tracks as well (such as Spa and Bathurst).

I love driving LMP cars in Le Mans and GT3 cars in the Nordschleife. I know a little about setups (from AC, ACC, AMS 2), but I'm far from an expert. My question to you guys here is: how do you setup for those 2 tracks?

I've seen videos on Le Mans with LMP2 in this game doing around 3:24s, it seems pretty fast.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Welcome home! First make sure you have the DLC Le Mans and then choose the Endurance Pack with the S397 Orecas. Then you can look at the car on the tuning screen.(the one where the car is viewable in the large hangar.) AT the upper right you should see something that says the Le Mans Aero package is installed. This should be done automatically, but only works for the GTE & LMP2 DLC cars and track.(not sure about the LMP3 Norma).
    That will at least guarantee you have the proper aero package. Then pay attention to items like the fuel mixture, it should default to 4 which is Qualifying but that will kill your fuel mileage in a race. 3 is the preferred setting for races. 1 & 2 for yellow flag or extreme fuel savings situations.
    Setups are probably most influenced by ride height as the proper rake enables the diffuser to operate at maximum efficiency.
    These are only general tips, good luck prying SECRETS outta these fast guys :)!

3. Marcus Battaglia

Thanks man. I have managed to record a video with 1 lap (my best of the night) and the settings at the end. I dunno, I feel slow at the straights (I remember with LMP1 in AC like the Porsche I would get to like 330 km/h or more).

Anyway, any feedback here is welcome. Video link here.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you think you are slow on the straights, there was some discussion this summer about the Oreca bottoming out without any real sound feedback.
    Try raising both ends, or increasing the packers/springs, see if that helps your top speed.
    Google would not play the video, said it was private.

5. Marcus Battaglia

Hi. Sorry, the video was set to "Private" (it was 1am here in Brazil, was sleepy, didn't see this).

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was able to reach 322kph by going up on the the springs two clicks past your settings. so instead of 1300/1200, I used 1500/1400. And left the ride height at the stock setting . 5.4cm front, 6.0 rear(sorry these are from memory, got trapped in a you tube loop...lol)
    So I'm fairly certain the car is dragging with the softer springs. 303 was my original top speed. barely climbed to 308 when I put the wing down to P1. Only really took off when I firmed up the springs, supposedly keeping the car off the pavement. I didn't stay long enough to find the best combo of ride height and speed. Motec would confirm this for sure. One of rF2's many failings is the loss of ground contact sounds,..they used to be there, and no sparks.(rF1/GT2 had this, it was never fully enabled in rF2.)

muz_j and Marcus Battaglia like this.
  7. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

i got setup of 4 dlc car (m2,porsche cup,RSR and 488 gte) of nords.
    i will post it later, if you guys could check it out and tell me your feedback that would be great.

Marcus Battaglia and delapecs like this.
  8. Marcus Battaglia

Hell yeah, I would like that VERY much!

9. Marcus Battaglia

Thanks man, will try it out for sure!

On the matter of springs and wings: I feel this car tends to snap the rear aa LOT in fast corners, like the first corner, Tetre Rouge and Indianapolis. If I turn the wheel with my foot on the gas, the rear simply goes.... how do I fix this? I never got this before with an LMP caar in any other sim, they are always so, so stable.

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

couple of things->>

* I don't use TC and ABS so you might wanna turn it up on car that have TC and ABS.

* I also use nearly zero toe or even ZERO toe at rear on all cars so you can add positive rear toe if you want more stable turn in.

* pics are taken at zandvroot garage but don't worry i have loaded Nordschleife setup, this is to save me some loading times :)

*I don't use maximum brake pressure so you can turn it up if you want . also don't be afraid to play with brake bias they are very driver dependent. for me they were quite on limit already though.

BMW M2 CS (450HP version)->>

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

Porsche Cup (endurance hard springs version ONLY)->>

cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

cp3.jpg

Ferrari 488 GTE ( Standard aero package NOT le mans ) ->>

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

Marcus Battaglia likes this.
  11. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Porsche RSR ( Standard aero package )->>

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

12. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I must add that I'm NOT a race engineer, i have small knowledge about some stuff to create "working" setup. this is not alien setup. These setup are done by feel and driving on NORDSCHLEIFE . feedback will be huge.

13. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Thanks for this comment Dave - as after glancing through this thread and checking a few things, I'm now positive that I've been dragging the Oreca 07 at Le Mans. My top speed is pretty much bang in line with the posters - around 307 to 310 or so, depending on how I take the corner that leads on to the main straight.
    The next obvious question to me - was, how fast do these things actually go in real life?
    This is the best answer I have found so far (as I can't seem to find a Le Mans results database that I'm sure I've browsed in the past).
    Anyway - real life 2017 Oreca 07 in this particular video, is topping out at 328 KPH, just before hitting the brakes at the first chicane. You can clearly read the speed on the dash (1:01 mark exactly)
    This car is apparently the #13 Vaillante Rebellion and you can confirm the drivers and car details on this wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebellion_Racing#2017_season)

...right, I'm off to fix my car setup :)
    >>> after correcting my ride height and bumping springs up a notch, I'm now hitting 325 before the first chicane, on cold tyres (no warm up lap) and using the "race" mixture setting, so that sounds about right to me and definitely a noticeable bump in speed from before, so clearly my car was bottoming out and dragging on the ground.
    Last edit to this post - I have just realised I had left the Oreca 07 on the "Standard, all dive planes" aero settings (within tuning options when selecting your car for anyone not aware of where to find it), so I suspect that explains where a few more KPH might have gone missing. Last time I drove it was around the Nurburgring and obviously I forgot to flick it back to the LeMans aero settings... doh!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Marcus Battaglia and davehenrie like this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Clearly shows the need for a ground scraping sfx, and sparks!

15. muz_j

muz_j Registered

In terms of setting up the Oreca 07 for the Nurburgring / Nordschleife - you are welcome to use my current settings as a starting point and then tweak them from there as you see fit.
    I'm not claiming these are the "best" settings etc, as I'm sure everyone knows, a lot of car setup - especially suspension settings can come down to personal preference, driving style and (in games) your steering wheel (FFB type and hardware quality etc) and FFB settings can definitely play a factor.
    In terms of my own personal approach to the Nordschleife - I take a cornering focused approach to car setups on this track in every game I drive it in, which over the last few years has been rF 2, AC (very occasionally as I didn't really click with it) and I'm waiting on the full Nurburgring DLC for AMS 2, which should be out next week. Various times I've tried to set fast laps in different cars, trying to hit high speeds and every time I've done that, I've beaten myself by big margins, by cranking up down force, lowering gears and focusing on corner speed instead. So until I find a car where the gains I can make in the fast sections, out weighs the gains I can make through the corners, I'll stick with this approach.
    I'm open to constructive feedback from anyone too, as I'm not an expert in this car, but I can do decent laps around this track in F1 & Group C cars - but they tend to have even higher levels of down-force and better power to weight ratios.
    On that note my Oreca 07 settings are below.
    RF 2 Oreca 07 Nurb 1.jpg
    RF 2 Oreca 07 Nurb 2.jpg
    RF 2 Oreca 07 Nurb 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  16. Marcus Battaglia

Great guys!
    I have changed my spring and wing adjustments and I have also been able to reach around 328 kph before the first chicane. That reduced my laptime around 6sec!

What about the other settings (brake balance, anti-roll bars, tire pressure, etc)?

Mine are as follows:

Tire pressure: 150 kPa front / 140 kPa back
    Camber: -2.5 and -1.4
    Brake balance: 60% front
    Brake duct blanking: 50%
    Rear wing: P1
    Radiator tape: 50%
    Drivetrain: Power 30%, Coast 45%, Preload 90 Nm

What are you guys using?

Also, noob question here: how does the Traction Control work in this game? I ask this because I can set it to "low", "medium" and "high", and at the same time, I can adjust it from 1 - 10 in the setting menus... How do these two work together?

17. J0E

J0E Registered

Marcus Battaglia and davehenrie like this.
  18. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

Still trying to find a good oreca setup for le mans. Will try the springs etc. But i also have problem with the brakes. Looking at the AI they can brake a bit later. But when i brake ate that point (and mostly with lower speed..) the brakes locks and the car start sliding very fast.

Any tips on that behaviour or someone who would lik to post the setup file (svm) so i try and feel the differences? Now i cahnge some settings etc but no idea what they do or what the impact is in the game :(

19. J0E

J0E Registered

I've been doing a lot of LeMans lately, too. The ride height helped me the most. Stiffer springs helped, too. As for the AI, they brake way later than humanly possible. The only solution I've found is learn which line they are going to take and get in there early enough to ruin their plans. It's even worse in Formula E because you have to lift earlier to regen power. The AI drives FE just like they drive LeMans

20. Marcus Battaglia

I have tried this setup and it feels great. What sort of lap times should I be doing at the "green hell" with the Porsche GTE in this setup? I think I'm doing around 6:40, something like this, but it feels very very slow (AI at 95% is doing around 10 seconds faster than me in Practice Session.......).