Pit speed rfm/ gdb

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Stefan_L_01, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Hi
    In case a pit speed is configured in the track gdb (e.g. NormalPitKPH = 80 ), it overrides a customized speed in the mod rfm file (e.g. NormalPitKPH = 60). In case the mod rfm configures 3x 60kmh for normal, quali and race, this leads to the effect that practise and quali has 80km/h pit speed and in a race only 60 which can (and has) people make get a penalty because they (used to 80km/h) enter the pit too fast in the race.

Why is the track config "stronger" than a customized mod setting in the rfm? That does not make sense at all. The track setting should be stronger than the default (which is 80 too), but a customized rfm setting should be the strongest after all. Is this a bug?
    BR
    Stefan

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

This isn't a Bug, it has always been like that in rF1 and rF2.
    And when you look at it from another point of View, it makes Sense.
    If you create a vmod with a few different Tracks, that have different Pit Speed Limits, you can not use these, because you only have 1 rfm.
    So it has to be managed in the Track Settings (gdb).
    You can use small Track Updates with a modified GDB, that you include into the vmod, that the People that download the vmod, get it automatically.

Lazza likes this.
  3. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Great info, thank you

But the system is total BS. If I pack 2 tracks into a rfm, they are both listed in the Tracklist. So the rfm knows about each track. What I want to say: It would make much more sense to have a configuration block in the rfm for each track where custom parameters can be defined, instead of dealing with track updates

Juergen-BY likes this.
  4. Corti

Corti Registered

maybe this line in the multiplayer.json :rolleyes:
    "Pit Speed Override":0,
    "Pit Speed Override#":"pitlane speed limit override in meters\/sec (0=disabled)",

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  5. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Does this work if you want to configure track dependent settings? No I suppose. And in what session does it work (p, q, w, r) ? And how do you set 70km/h straight when you have to set m/s? wtf m/s, nowhwere in the world you set pitspeed in m/s.... so crazy

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Not sure but I think the .gdb gets loaded after the .rfm and therefore overrides the .rfm. That is what I was led to believe when I was involved with track editing in rF1 and I think it carries over to rF2. Would be nice if S397 could say for certain on this one as it's been raised many times before.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT pretty sure that is still the case.

The conversion factor is 3.6. Divide kph by 3.6 and you have m/s. A few decimal places will be more than precise enough.

m and s are SI units. m/s is used in basically all study and application of the sciences (including physics) and is used in the game files.

If it were kph, someone doing US-based racing might complain about having to convert mph to kph, so there's no "right for everyone". Just assume SI units and convert as necessary.

8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Why should he complain to convert to mph from kph? Now he needs to convert from m/s, so he needs one conversion anyway.
    One could add a unit param (0 kph, 1 mph, 2 mps), that would be the best, and let rf2 do the calc.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?forums/wish-lists.128/ ;)

Hazi likes this.