Transfer to steam

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by marktuk, Nov 2, 2020.

1. marktuk

marktuk Registered

I previously purchased rFactor 2 before it was available on steam, and after I took a break for sim racing I've found I can't download and install rFactor 2 on my new PC. I've emailed support about transferring my licence to steam but I have yet to receive a response, is anyone able to help?

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I don't remember very well, but you had A LOT of time to do the change, like an year or more...

3. marktuk

marktuk Registered

While I appreciate that's true, how would I have known I needed to do anything until now?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Did you contact Steam or S397? I don't think Steam will do anything as they are just the distributor. You will probably have better luck reaching S397 via their Instagram account. You are not alone in this, but S397 gave a very long transfer period of at least a year as Rui mentioned above, and they extended that for something like another 6 months. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

From the bulk email that was sent to all users, using the email address linked to your original purchase. Some people have reported not receiving this email, however it’s nearly 2 years since the change, so I don’t like your chances. When the transfer period was open, people had to request a steam key via https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDJRK5xwh8GA70E6Ck-OyrjzpM1JRWeQfoANgznayNLjYYBw/viewform. You could try your luck with that, but worse case is wait for a sale and buy again on steam.
    Good luck.

Remco Majoor and Rui Santos like this.
  6. marktuk

marktuk Registered

I contacted S397 via their support email address, even just a link to download the copy I purchased would be fine, but I can't find it on the website?

7. marktuk

marktuk Registered

Ok fine, how do I get the non-steam version that I paid for?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@marktuk the official link was on ISI webspace and no longer exists.

You're looking for build 1098. You may find it somewhere.

If your system can handle the current requirements the latest build is a massive step up graphically, and a smaller step up in physics, and on a steam sale is very inexpensive. Given that you've not played for 3+ years it may be worthwhile treating it as a new game purchase.

Rui Santos likes this.
  9. marktuk

marktuk Registered

I could do that, but I feel a little uneasy about the fact I paid for it and they just "deleted" my licence. It also looks like all the cars + tracks are now paid add-ons?

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Black friday sale coming up!

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. marktuk

marktuk Registered

Sure, and I could buy it then, but why can't I have the copy I paid for only a few years ago? I purchased a perpetual licence, I have a copy of the receipt, I'd like to download that software and use it.

12. Stevy

Stevy Registered

You missed the Halloween sale by like...1 day or so.
    15€ for rF2

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One of the misconceptions about the original rF2 license was not for rF2 itself, but online access. The trouble is, the company who sold you that license(ISI) has since sold their product(rF2) and no longer offer any support. The purchasing company, Studio 397, was and is under no obligation to offer support for ISI. The fact that they offered nearly a two year free transfer window pretty much absolves them of any further commitments to another company's customers.

Remco Majoor and Rui Santos like this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, all the content you had is still there and free, and more has been added as well.

There is quite a bit of paid DLC, the tracks especially are very good, and that makes the actual game purchase pale further into insignificance.

We do understand, there were heaps of discussions on this from about 3 years ago when the transfer window ended, but the situation is what it is. If you have your license backed up somewhere 1098 should work, otherwise you have the option of rebuying the game, or not.

15. marktuk

marktuk Registered

I repurchased the game on steam... honestly I'm fairly disappointed, the more I look in to it the more it seems the "best" content is the paid DLC, it seems the new owners are putting all of their effort in to developing paid DLC rather than fixing long standing issues with the game. I am shocked at how poor the AI still seems to be, what's with the full course yellow thing? Honestly, I'm fairly disappointed I had to rebuy the game to find it's still got a ton of issues. I love the driving feel in rfactor 2, but unfortunately it seems it'll only ever be a private practice "sandbox", as racing the AI is pointless and the online mode doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If anyone told you the game had moved on massively in terms of single player / AI or multiplayer then unfortunately they've misled you.

The game is what it was 3-5 years ago, with more content (much of it paid DLC, but also cars like the McLarens, tracks like Botniaring and Loch Drummond).

DLC is mostly a step up (moreso on tracks than cars) but that's how DLC gets sold. Plus licensing means extra costs on top of the usual development cost for the free content.

There is some league racing, there are people playing offline and having some good experiences. It's not straightforward, but it never has been.

There is work ongoing to improve the online scene and talk of other improvements after that, so don't give up hope yet.

dazzer likes this.
  17. marktuk

marktuk Registered

It just reaffirms my original point, I've purchased the game I already had 6 or so years ago, it seems very little has changed other than they've created a bunch of paid DLC. I'm now less inclined to bother with that DLC, why should I? I purchased AC a long time ago, I don't have to rebuy that, instead I can look at buying the new DLC for it.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you enjoyed rF2 6 years ago you will enjoy it now. It doesn't do any less, it looks heaps better and has some physics improvements, a new UI and competition system is due for release in the coming months.

There is free content that wasn't available 6 years ago, more quality 3rd party mods, and paid DLC if you want it.

As I said, if you were expecting progress in AI etc you were mistaken. Whether you want to buy DLC or play another game is entirely your choice - I'm not suggesting you do one or the other.

Rui Santos and buzz hornet like this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What if S397 had renamed rF2 to rF2 Ultra(or anything different) when they purchased the rights? Would you feel any different buying what appeared to be a totally different product? Just curious, it popped into me head after reading this thread and moving on. So I came back to ask.