Brake light brightness and aero

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Simonk, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hi guys. I've been playing around with the Simtek Huracan GT3 to get it driving and looking like it matches the S397 GT3 cars. I'd like to reduce the brightness of the brake lights and was wondering is it as simple as reducing the colour saturation of the relevant DDS in Photoshop or does something need to be adjusted to the car model in 3dsimed? The three DDS files are all the same colour so I was expecting that they would be different brightness for the lights on/off. If it needs to be done in 3dsimed, what parameters need to be changed? I'm not real good with 3dsimed so the more descriptive the better. I have used it to change the reflectiveness of the car body so I can find my way around it.

I also need to lift the top speed by a couple kmh without affecting anything else. Cornering, braking and acceleration are fine but it's just a bit too slow on long straights like on the Nordschleife or Paul Ricard(no chicane). Would Bodydragbase in HDV be the thing to adjust? It is currently on 0.468.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, bodydragbase is the simplest there, won't affect other aero and will mainly affect top speed. Should only need a drop of 0.01-0.02.

3. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Awesome, thanks.

4. Brent

Brent Registered

I've been waiting for a full guide on setting up brake lights, reverse lights, etc for some time, hopefully it comes soon.

From my experience, it seems changing the alpha layer affects the intensity. Say your texture is brakelight.tga, you will want full black alpha channel for the brakelight00.tga and then adjust varying levels of white into the brakelight01.tga and brakelight02.tga alpha channel to add intensity. I've experimented with painting black/white gradients to mimic the higher intensity at the bulb and less intensity further away for a incandescent bulb in a housing look.

Edit: I found these number suffixe references for brake light textures (BLGLO instance/mesh):
    00 = Off, 01 = Running lights, 02 = Applied brake

The mods I've been using as a reference use only 00, 01. I've found 00 is off and 01 becomes the applied brake. A simple cheat sheet much like the track cheat sheet guide would be much helpful.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Thanks heaps Brent. I found the relevant TGA file easy enough. Oddly 00 and 01 were black and 02 was the brake applied. I played around with the alpha channel but it did the opposite to what I expected. I changed it from white to grey and it made it brighter. Anyway I was able to reduce the brightness by reducing the overall brightness of the TGA image which has achieved what I wanted. Thanks for your help in getting me on the right track :)
    Huracan.jpg

haunetal1990 and Brent like this.
  6. Brent

Brent Registered

Looks great! You're welcome