Please improve this! loading time

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Delzimar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Please improve this!

""

2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Mine takes 31secs to boot in to the main menu. Then takes 44secs to load to the track in the Aston Gt3@Zandvoorte. My processor is a 4690k which is quite old now, along with an ssd.

Personally I couldn't care less about loading times and hope the devs don't put any hours into it. I'm sat at a pc so while the tracks loading I can do something else - it's a non-issue.

3. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Yes, for some it does not bother, but for many it is a nuisance

4. lagg

lagg Registered

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is a real issue for people who love Nurburging Combined + 89 AI cars + multiclass.

After DOZENS of loading since this incredible update (thankx S397), my loading times are :

Between 3 min 05 and almost 4 minutes.

Circuit detail + texture detail + player detail at MAX
    ALL the rest DEACTIVATED or at the minimum
    Rift S 169% supersampling and AA level 5
    02:30 PM, no rain

What hardware ?

Well SSD, very good motherboard, 16 GO 4000 Mhz, i7 9700K @5 Ghz.

These loading times are really excessive.

I would understand in these specific conditions a loading time of 1 min 30 or maximum 2 min, but no more. This is a bad specificity of rF2.

And @doddynco, you obviously don't have a VR headset, that's why you don't "mind".

That bothers me enormously.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So 90 cars total (multiclass), at Nords, with all the detail settings maxed out (so no potential savings by not loading some objects/textures, or smaller textures).

I can't say what loading time should be expected as a best case scenario, but you're really putting yourself at the bad end of the spectrum there, and can really never expect loading times to be on a par with an average user loading (say) Sebring with a field of 20 cars.

I do have a question regarding the video - how is it taking 23 seconds to get to the track loading screen after clicking race? Does anyone get this? Or is that just a recording/capture anomaly? The progress bar seems to start from zero when it appears. I don't recall ever having more than a couple of seconds after clicking RACE.

Of course if there's some technical issue causing the slow boot/load, that in itself is potentially an rF2 issue (there seems to be some scope for the game to detect and fix some common issues). But it also makes it a little less relevant as an example, if the majority of players don't get that excessive delay.

7. lagg

lagg Registered

@DrivingFast , this has nothing to do with the loading time of the tracks and cars.
    The problem in the video is the time from launching rF2 to the appearing of the UI.
    AFAIK, this is because the rcd problem or because he has a big amount of content installed.

DrivingFast likes this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah, there are several independent issues, which makes it more complicated.

- Loading of game to menu, which is pretty solid with a clean install, but gets multiplied with lots of mods and RCD files.
    - First loading of track when cbash and shader are not yet generated (this is probably the issue new users notice most, 3+ minutes of delay).
    - Loading of track after shaders have been generated. This is dependent on track size and number of cars. Nordschleife without AI loads in about 1min15 seconds on my Ryzen 5 3600, which is not great, not terrible. With each AI you obviously add about a second or so of extra delay.

Hm, I measured about 10 seconds on my rig (game on SSD). However, sometimes when I try to load replays the wait is really long, up to a minute, before anything starts happening.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Remember, about a year ago they did do some work on shortening the load time. There was improvement, but nothing we could term extraordinary. Also remember loading is more than just stuffing shaders into a videocard, All the cars and tracks have to be extracted from mas files so that part is CPU bound. The cars are added at the end of the process. With the old UI, you could see the progress bar make a bunch of small steps as it nears the end of the loading process. That was the individual cars being extracted. Since they have 'looked' at this issue already, I just don't think there is a-lot more they can do to shorten the loading times.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I don't know the other sims well.

But isn't the loading time much more optimized in all these games ?

I have a lot of fun on the Nurburgring combined in muticlass with 89 AI.

But this incredibly excessive load spoils my pleasure.

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I had the same issue. Loading into the game was about 2 minutes. Loading Nordschleife was about 4+ minutes.

I renamed the UserData file to UserData_1, verified the files through steam so it creates a new UserData file.

This is the only thing that significantly reduced load times.

12. lagg

lagg Registered

Have you checked the rcd files thing?
    Do you have many content installed?

13. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

14. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Same thing with me, I also use it in VR

15. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

Really discouraged

16. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Yeah I checked for the RCD files. It was a relatively new install so not much content.

Weirdly I've noticed the load times are starting to creep up again, so I'm wondering if there's some other files somewhere else that are being saved and slowing things down.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

I tested loading Nordschleife in iRacing, it's more or less exactly the same loading time as in rF2, a little above a minute, with 0 AI. You can't add 89 AI to those other sims so I think it's a bit unfair comparison. ACC doesn't have a big track like Nordschleife, so again hard to compare there.