editing cameras in RF2

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Normark, Oct 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Normark

Normark Registered

How do you place cameras and edit their behavier. The cam edit in devmod is not very userfriendly :)

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

That's the way to do it, or you could edit the text file, which is not user friendly either.

3. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks
    I remember from the old RF1 days that I could edit the cameraes in a very easy visuel way, can´t remember if it was in BTB or a special cameditor made of "guitarman", but you could see the cameraes as spheres and you could just move them around and drag them to increase the activation zone.

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Once you get used to the built in editor it's not so bad. It has some issues, that I'd like to address at some point, but it's quite usable.

The big thing it's missing is a visualisation of the area the current camera would get activated.

5. Normark

Normark Registered

OK thanks. :)
    I will fight a bit more with it.

6. Normark

Normark Registered

Would it be possible to write a script that would make it possible to export camera dummys from 3d max. The output should be a cam file, much the same way as the SCN. file, it is just walues with position etc.

7. Normark

Normark Registered

It works with editing the textfile, but the coordinates is behaving very strange I think. The position of the camera doesn´t seem to be as the coordinates in max, (and I know that Z in max is Y(hight) in RF2.)
    I have tryed to switch x - y and that doesn´t give the correct position eighter,( or I`m doin something wrong witch I obviously are)

8. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

That's AIW+CAMfile Editor, you still can use it with RF2 cameras. I find it useful for AIW advanced edit, too.

9. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Bob's Track builder was awesome for cam work.

A way you can do it is do a very basic version of your track in BTB, do the cameras, and then export the track and use the cam file and it will work in RF2.

10. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks Mike, I just updated my BTB license a few days ago with the same in mind, but wasn´t shure if it would work. :)
    The way of moving the cameras by typing in the cam file is also possible, but all the ease in BTB is gone if I choose that procedure.

11. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

This is a "must have" piece of software to get a quick basic cam file. Then you just have to add some extra lines to every camera definition for shadows and sounds, and add an orientation line to point the cameras to the right position in case you want to take some shots of the track without any cars on it.

In case you need multiple activation locations in case of complicated tracks, you can add them as a new camera, but then you'll have to edit it later to simply add those activation locations and activation radius to the same camera and then delete the new camera.

I've been able to create three groups of cameras for an entire track in less than one hour using this system.

12. TTM

TTM Registered

You can find BTB also from Steam. I gladly payed 8€, so i don't need to update license anymore. :)

13. Normark

Normark Registered