I get it now

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Spitfire1, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I am not going to reveal much detail but i have permission from Dylbie to update some of his physics. He test drove the physics i made and he told me "Car feels great actually!" so he agreed that i could modify it as he was enjoying it. As he gave me the permission i began reading more on how to auto generate tgm and chassis flex files (.tgm and chassis.ini) from the old .tbc, .hdv and .pm and so i did just now. After having been reluctant at first because i was skeptical of the whole thing(i guess i learnt don't judge too soon). And after having for the first time a fully performing completed car after so many weeks of testing physics and sounds and retesting it feels absolutely great to drive.

Firstly i would like to point out that in order to get the car to handle like you want it with all the s397 physics programming you absolutely must choose a tgm file that suits the kind of tires your car has. Ok with that out of the way i just have to say the car i am helping Dylbie with handles absolutely BEAUTIFULLY. I get this game now and i get what the new additions in physics are about. I am still firm on the simple rather than complex because that in a nutshell is what life is about to simplify things rather than complicate but having now found a good technique to combat this problem i have had with rf2 since 2012 i am very pleased to report it.

However i do maintain that Rfactor 1 is a brilliant simulator if not the best alongside it's successor Rfactor 2 but the main point of this post is that i had an awakening when i was working on this car by Dylbie that i now get what this new physical tire model is all about. Look forward to sharing my work with you guys. You will be pleased to drive this soon :)

PS: i also had to lower the reverb in the player.json file down from 0.5 dry to 0.1 dry and 0.75 wet to 0.35 wet. This seemed to get rid of that powerful blasting echo which was distracting me from enjoying the sounds. This for me at least seems to be the balance in reverb and echo effects.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    atomed, Hazi and Rui Santos like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm glad it "ticked" for you. I would agree that life is about make things simpler, but in simulations, you go the opposite direction. It is quite hard to think to make a more accurate simulation feeding less data to the computer. Unfortunately those data need to be hand cruched and baked for the software to digest it. I dreamed of a tool to draw in 3D chassis and suspension and mass distribution of a car, and let the computer digest it on his own, but it seems it will remain a dream, as I'm unable to make such tool.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  3. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Well we will see how the community reacts to my work when it hits the workshop so i will continue to go full attack on this physics engine and hopefully no bugs will rear their ugly heads at me.

atomed likes this.
  4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Sorry if i'm missing something, but what car are you talking about?

Anyway very happy that you found what makes rF2 an amazing simulation ;)

5. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Soon revealed sry.

Rui Santos and atomed like this.
  6. Brent

Brent Registered

Be prepared for a lot of negativity if the mod isn't perfect.

I shared a couple mods I was working on when Covid hit earlier in the year. I even made it abundantly clear in the description they were works in progress and that I was hoping to collaborate with someone to improve them. I got lots of negative ratings for it. I didn't mind the negative feedback or issues found in the comments, that was welcomed. The rest was disheartening a bit. Eventually, I was able to work with someone on improving the physics and the mods turned out very well and the comments and ratings went silent. Many have no clue how many hours it takes getting a mod to look good and then it's an entire feat to get the physics just right.

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

You need to ignore the ignorants, or kids that want everything for "yesterday"! I'm sure most people will be thankful for your work ;)

Filip and Brent like this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

For sure that most people is thankful with modding, but unfortunately some feedback is not respectfull with modders and sometimes is hard to continue sharing your work.
    Modding in rF2 is difficult and you need a lot of time, knowledge and effort to get good results. Many times, modders receive bad comments during the learning process and the crticism take away your desire to continue.
    @Spitfire1 don't mind the rants and continue meanwhile you want.

Brent, Highlandwalker and Corti like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's really best to mod for yourself and share it knowing you'll get mixed feedback. Easy to fixate on the negative but those people haven't done all the research, so whatever :p

10. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Why was my 1950s comment removed?

11. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Why was lazzas comments removed?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll post here once more to guess/explain: yours and my comments had nothing to do with the game, or any game, and could be seen to be belittling women. We're on a forum run by S397 (which means it's ultimately up to them what stays on it) and one of the moderators may have decided the posts weren't suitable. I'm surprised there wasn't a message of some sort but I don't know what mechanisms are available there.

I do know that in this situation the referee's decision is final. It's best to leave it alone and learn from it.

You're new here so I'll point out that post deletion is very rare here, there's often quite robust criticism of the game or S397 and as long as it doesn't get personal or offensive it doesn't get removed - same goes for arguments between people. So best to just move on.

Rui Santos, Corti, lagg and 1 other person like this.
  13. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Ok that's sad.