Fixing Cut Track limits

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by TheSecret1, Oct 20, 2020.

1. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Playing with an existing track;
    I have been editing in AIW editor, and have displayed the Cut Track lines.
    they don't appear to be the correct width, before I make changes to the following line in the AIW file

wp_dwidth=(4.431,4.918,0.000,0.000) // collision left, collision right, cut left, cut right

Is there something you need to do to the track before editing the AIW file?
    Is there a tutorial on corridors and cut track?

thanks

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Have you read through this: https://www.studio-397.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

3. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Thanks.
    I had read through that, but didn't find what I was looking at.
    A new day and a new set of eyes with a bit more experience there may be something to try:

"At this point, you should see red and white lines extending out from each waypoint. These mark the left and right width of the track. You can adjust these by using the SHIFT+Arrow combinations (left and right for the red line, and up and down for the white line). Pressing ALT while adjusting these will make more fine adjustments."

maybe that will change the the track corridor?
    Then maybe that will allow the Cut Track details in the GDB file to work?
    When I was in the AIW editor last night it was not showing red/white lines. Just a light blue line going through the waypoint.

Do you have any specific instructions, otherwise I will just continue trial and error.
    (thanks!)

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you turn on show cut track, you can position it where you want with the arrow keys.

5. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

My two cents on this, track cut limits are extremely sensitive to the settings in the .gdb file and the fastest path time. All calculations for cut track detection are done relative to the fastest path, and from all the work I have done on cut track in the last 6 months, it's calculated per sector. So keep all that in mind, you need to understand what the settings in the .gdb relate to and then relate that to the car you are using as the main vehicle type raced at the track. In other words you can't use settings you would for a kart track at an F1 circuit.
    I haven't done a tutorial video for a while, so I might do one on this soon.

6. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Yeh, I will need to play with this.
    I could not figure out how to change the line, so hopefully that will work.

7. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Thanks. I have taken a look at the .gdb file, but currently trying to figure out the Cut Track lines and how they relate.
    for example, how wide should the lines be in regards to the corner?

Additionally, I would have thought that there is a rule that says if you have all 4 wheels, outside of that path, you get a warning.
    I understand there are more elements in some cases, in some areas. such as cutting track to avoid accident etc. but there are some areas that could be more black and white, and maybe even the stage, e.g. Practice v's Quali v's Race?

8. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

That part of it is pretty straight forward mate.
    1. Set your cut corridor around the track placing it where you define, e.g. FIA at the track edge (white line) and not on ripple strips.
    2. Set your 2 gdb parameters something like below:

CutLeavingThresh = 1.0 // The Threshold (in meters) for leaving track, should be around half the width of the car to detect the inner tires cutting leaving the defined cut limit, i.e. 1.0 meters past the defined cut corridor
    CutJoiningThresh = 0.5 // Threshold (in meters) for re-joining track, should be the distance that you consider the car to be rejoined and the distance that the timing calculations will use between leaving and rejoining to calculate penalties.

Track cutting to avoid incidents typically result in an out of control rejoin or a slowed rejoin which the settings and calculations take into account.

9. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Thanks. I will need to have a play, but what you said makes sense.
    I am taking a look at the Gold Coast track. The start of the chicane, on the left, you can be on the left of the curb, in to the pit exit, not slow down, which gives you a better line for the next 2 corners of the chicane.
    You would not do that slow, if you cut it, it is probably you pushing the limits.
    Where if you go right, and skip the chicane, you are missing the 3 curbs, but you could slow down and not get a gain from it.

I will need to figure out the combination of the gdb on the different corners.

10. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Ok, I did the AIW for that track at least for version 0.7c, I wasn't really concerned with the Cut Track part back then.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/track-aiws.64102/

11. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

sorry, I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
    That is what I was looking at.
    We have a race coming up on 31st of October.
    I am concerned about Track Cuts.
    Crew Chief is telling us we are cutting track when not, but rF2 is not picking up enough.

That is why I started to take a look.
    I had decided that I did not have enough time to resolve, but still found it very interesting & have learnt a lot.

That said, is there any way you could take a look?
    It would be ideal for rF2 to manage it, otherwise we will need to apply post race penalties, after watching replay's.

12. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I
    I'll look tonight for you mate.

13. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Ok so final testing tonight and if all is ok I will up to the original AIW thread and you can use it for you race mate. I asked @Corti to place some tyres in the gap between the pit lane and corner as well to put people off doing the wrong thing ;) I'll tweak the cut line some more tonight and up an update package.

14. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Thankyou. Happy to test as well.
    What country are you in?
    Love to buy you are a beer to say thanks!

15. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

16. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Hey, sorry to be a bother. I am getting the error, GoldCoast v0.7d requires unknown base mod to be installed. / GoldCoast 0.7d

I have 0.7b & 0.7c installed.

Thanks
    Justin

17. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Let me check mate

18. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

19. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Sorry, there is a lot here.

It worked good for me in Single Player last night. (although I have had feedback that the server was a different story)

I was getting pinged pretty much when I should, although:

- pit exit; you can cut to the inside, from racing line to pit and not get a penalty. (not that anyone should be doing that.)
    **maybe I did get a penalty, as I ended up with a drive thru and I can't pin point why. But it did not flash up on screen when I did it.
    is there a log that lists the warnings? (I have only been able to find an XML that lists penalty's.
    upload_2020-10-28_9-54-14.png
    - pit exit/first corner; v's putting the tyres there, can we not get the corner cut working?
    you want to be able to take more curb. If you can't get it working due to pit exit, I was thinking, maybe remove the last tyre or move it to the left a little?

- should this give a warning?
    upload_2020-10-28_10-13-16.png

I received some feedback from the racers.
    This one came up with a track cut. it is close, but tyres are on the tarmac.
    upload_2020-10-28_12-24-27.png

20. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Pic 1. I can remove the last tyre and place one at the front to try to further reduce using the pit to cheat and I can try to tweak the cut line there a bit more but it is problematic due to the pit lane cut track and I've had feedback on this type of thing from S397 in the past, pit track cut will always cause hit and miss issues with track cut detect where they meet especially on corners.

Pic 2. This will trigger a cut warning if and only if the cut creates an advantage over the normal fastest path estimated time for that sector. If it was taken at less than racing speed, which it looks like it might have been to avoid that incident it won't trigger.

Pic 3. I will tweak this a little more tonight for you as it shouldn't have triggered.