compendium of needed improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amishracing, Oct 3, 2020.

1. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

Later ? it's been four years and it's still worse than the old UI

Pawel44 and Juergen-BY like this.
  2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Proper physics modeling of drive-train behavior.

Beyond a positive and dynamic connection between the engine, clutch, and gearbox, there is need for related effects such as:
    • Gear-wobble (gear-lash)
    • Radial flex / Torsional Flex of drive-shafts, half-shafts, and other drive components
    • Overall Drive-train elasticity. Various drive-train parts contribute to oscillations within the drive-train that can not only be felt in motion effects but, also heard in engine & gearbox sounds, and may cause momentary traction-loss events at the drive-tires.
    IMO, any serious simulation needs to have these effects included. Such effects are a fundamental aspect of most race-cars.

Examples of titles with physically modeled drive-train elasticity:
    • iRacing
    • RaceRoom
    • BeamNG

TJones, Pawel44, avenger82 and 2 others like this.
  3. amishracing

amishracing Registered

I think all that stuff goes under advanced clutch physics for me in the list, maybe advanced drivetrain physics is a better fitting and a more comprehensive description?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

+1

And all the improvements in the physics engine, and beyond everything that appealed to realism as a whole.

This is for me the most important in rFactor 2.

Pawel44 likes this.
  5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes, I wouldn't necessarily have thought "clutch physics" would cover other components of the drive-train, as the "clutch" is one of the components itself. The term "Drive-train" is more inclusive of all related components (similarly, the term "power-train" involves engine components / systems).

amishracing likes this.
  6. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Did not know you could mod it, thanks

i would like to see some sort of standard for naming cars and tracks

amishracing likes this.
  7. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Just my two cents to adjust expectations, I guess.
    Considering the UI and competition system are top priority right now...

Advanced tire/drivetrain physics:
    It has been mentioned a few times that this will happen eventually; hopefully development can begin sometime next year.

Analog handbrake:
    Rally/drift is not the focus of this sim, so probably not happening soon. (hillclimb on the competition system would be amazing though)

Realtime weather:
    Really cool feature to have; only seen it on assetto corsa through content manager/CSP but I can´t remember if it does full weather or only time of the day.

Consistent car information and naming format, and designation and demarcation of updated and obsolete content respectively:
    Naming is up to the mod creator; definitely needs a better system, hopefully user modifiable in a way that doesn´t break online compatibility, but it´s one of those things that you can´t expect to be easily implemented.
    Car and track info will be sorted once the new ui goes live, apparently, but its also probably up to the modder.
    Wish to see info about the mod itself in the ui (version no., tyre model, shaders...) but it probably won´t happen.

Advanced graphics:
    Loooooow priority, especially with the recent shader upgrades and accompanying documentation; the intention was to set a new standard that won´t be replaced for a while so that the older content that can be updated gets updated and nobody has to relearn anything again for a while.
    The only thing I would add is to adress the performance issues under rainy weather.

Accurate track boundaries:
    This is up to the mod creator.

More track boundary cut incident penalty options
    Issues: lack of post race flat time penalties, slowdown penalties, etc:

I don´t do online here, so I shouldn´t be talking about the server stuff but some things have been mentioned on discord regarding track cuts:
    -Slowdown penalties won´t be implemented; they´re barely used in real life because of the danger and this also applies to the sim.
    -If you cut the track then slow down before rejoining, you won´t get a penalty.
    -If you can finish the race before you run out of laps to serve a drive-through penalty, you can ignore it and a time penalty will be added to your final time.
    -Cut track penalty thresholds can be adjusted on the track´s GDB file and apparently on the server setup as well.
    -server admin can issue time penalties after the race.
    -admin can also set the amount of warnings before a drive-through is enforced.
    *Again, I cant confirm all of this so just try it out and we can review this later.

AFAIK, s397 base and DLC content will be used for sure. No mods and not sure if ISI content can be used because it´s not their IP.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Kahel and Remco Majoor like this.
  8. amishracing

amishracing Registered

Regarding Accurate Track Boundaries. If what you say is correct and base S397 content track boundaries are all good then the issue may be that there is no penalty options for going off the track without yielding lap time gain. On cuts which do yield lap time gain a time penalty based on the severity of the cut would be preferrable as well if slowdowns are so widely despised. This is because a drive through penalty for every track cut which yields lap time is too severe and allowing a certain amount of track cuts before a drive through is much too exploitable. The pefect solution is a possibly configurable time penalty based on the severity of lap time gained.

9. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Doesn't feel right to put lack of graphics advancement... in there.
    Because if there is one aspect of the game that hasn't been left out, since S397 took over, it's the graphic engine... with lot of work in lightining, PBR materials, directx11 etc...

On the other hand... some aspect now stand out, in a bad way... with everything else improving... particles in particular... and the safety car now is a 'joke'... compared to the latest content.

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

hello,
    do you guys tested the detaching rear ARB on GTE cars ? Does it work accurately or is it broken ?
    I'm asking this because i heard that detaching rear ARB is better just like minimum tyre pressure.
    What other physics exploits are found on new GT cars or new DLC cars ?

Also one more thing is that while playing with GTE cars i haven't got any bottoming out !
    Is underbody aero dynamically working i.e as body moves the downforce changes,change in air pressure, stalling etc
    Or underbody aero is completely fixed i.e has no connection with car body movement hence no point in tuning setup for it.

11. amishracing

amishracing Registered

compendium of needed improvements v1.45 update
    Based on further discussion and new information
    - "Accurate track boundaries" improvement removed
    - "Advanced graphics" improvement removed
    Remember to like the initial post if you agree you want to see those improvements

12. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

The ability to monitor FFB clipping,without external tools,is, imo much needed,and surely something that could easily be added.

Raven_ARG, avenger82 and Kahel like this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Also adding simple pedals input widget, which exists in almost all sims, should take couple days, but knowing S397 priorities we won't see such improvements within few years. .

14. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

I think the transmission should be modeled similar to Raceroom, for me the best in terms of race car. But it is still in the minds of some people that manual transmission always depends on the clutch.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Track alternate timing objects for out laps only, so at tracks like Nords you can complete a 'lap' out of the pits on a shorter route but then can't use those objects for subsequent laps.

@Ayrton de Lima If you read the realistic gearshift thread you'll see rev matching etc is on people's minds, but this is much neater done in the game with access to vehicle info.

16. Ayrton de Lima

Ayrton de Lima Registered

Hi @Lazza

Yes, the question of realism in some mods improves this a lot, but the change without clutch in racing gearboxes happens very easily, the Bertolotti and Saenz racing transmissions of the old Brazilian stockcars even above 3000 rpm could already be done simply with the driver taking his foot off the accelerator, changing gears and accelerating again, the formula 3 dallara f301 also has the h-shifter and the change is made with a simple ignition cut, as well as sequential transmissions, even because the gearboxes are the same, only the type of drive changes, what could improve for me would be the wear due to errors in the exchanges, and wear of the tbm engines, in old cars you get to rpms that would be unreal in races and the car does not suffer damage by walking all the time like that, I just think that the simulator cannot have a ridiculous transmission model like the manuals of the assetto corsa, but more like the old Raceroom because this new one with automatic clutch in the sequential is more and ridiculous, and I also think it's cool that the clutch is only "almost" mandatory in synchronized transmissions, to the delight of those who think they are a semi-god, or even a god because he uses 3 pedals ...... even ... .

Thanks for attention Lazza.

17. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I would like to post some of my findings about rear ARB exploit.

Yep it doesn't work, i tried it on 488 gte, rsr and porsche cup that was enough for me. detaching rear arb does not help with low rear wing.
    You still need rear wing for faster corners. I tried it and with this low wing detach arb i got very loose rear end in mid turns and especially on braking.

18. Craigbowie

Craigbowie Registered

Id like to see racing options... like compulsory pitstops etc

Xzanman likes this.